2921 replies to this topic

#1 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?

I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard, Scarlet Runner and Black Nightfall – all of which are some of the most beautiful dried beans I've ever seen. Steve, in all your spare time, you should be making decorative mosaics with your beans!

The Mother Stallards and Scarlett Runners I plan on cooking on their own with a simple mirepoix. The flageolets will go into the delicious Spring Lamb and Flageolets from the RG site. I plan on making this again as soon as we get our first blush of cooler fall weather.

And I still have a bag of white posole from my last order. For some reason, I'm hesitant about making Posole for the first time.

#2 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

YES! Already this is my favorite thread EVER on MF or anywhere else for that matter!
Gone fishing for the summer.

#3 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

I'm going to dedicate my life to making The Scream happy. I think we all should.

Thank you GG. I'm blushng and with this fabulous tan, that is something!

I think I can announce this already. I spent the morning at the Google "campus". It's a huge series of buildings with thousands of employees. One of the perks of working there is you get free food. Not just bagels and lox for meetings, but actual meals. One of their cafes is Google 150 and it's received a lot of press because all of the food is grown within 150 miles of the cafe. The new restaurant is going to be called American Table. I've been selling to several of the restaurants but today they have commited to buying 100% of the crop next year of 2 rather rare beans. One is our own Shelora's wild black bean from Oaxaca and the other is Rosa de Castilla, which isn't grown commercially in the states but I have seen it in Mexico on a smallish scale. So they're sponsoring two beans! Even more thrilling, a reporter from Newsweek was there as I made my presentation. I doubt I'll make it into the story but who knows. Press releases will go out on Monday. I'm very excited!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,435 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:13 AM

I have enough on my plate, thanks. Steve, I never knew until I tasted your beans, that they had such varied "personalities," each one delicious and much to my surprise and pleasure, kosher for Weight-Watchers.

#5 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

YES! Already this is my favorite thread EVER on MF or anywhere else for that matter!

Mine, too!

When you sponsor a bean, do you get greeting cards from it at holiday time?
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#6 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:43 AM

I saw Rancho Gordo doing a cooking demo! :huh:

Stunning, dreamy, rico, suave... Where's my thesaurus.

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'm going to dedicate my life to making The Scream happy. I think we all should.

Thank you GG. I'm blushng and with this fabulous tan, that is something!

I think I can announce this already. I spent the morning at the Google "campus". It's a huge series of buildings with thousands of employees. One of the perks of working there is you get free food. Not just bagels and lox for meetings, but actual meals. One of their cafes is Google 150 and it's received a lot of press because all of the food is grown within 150 miles of the cafe. The new restaurant is going to be called American Table. I've been selling to several of the restaurants but today they have commited to buying 100% of the crop next year of 2 rather rare beans. One is our own Shelora's wild black bean from Oaxaca and the other is Rosa de Castilla, which isn't grown commercially in the states but I have seen it in Mexico on a smallish scale. So they're sponsoring two beans! Even more thrilling, a reporter from Newsweek was there as I made my presentation. I doubt I'll make it into the story but who knows. Press releases will go out on Monday. I'm very excited!

That is indeed exciting news for you. But not for us. Why not? We'll have to wait until the following year to taste them. :lol:

No, seriously -- that's great. Does it mean that if we google on "bean" you'll be the first site to appear? :huh:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

[quote] name='Suzanne F' date='Aug 11 2006, 09:24 PM' post='723108']
name='rancho_gordo' post='722756' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:09 PM']

No, seriously -- that's great. Does it mean that if we google on "bean" you'll be the first site to appear? :huh:[/quote]

:lol:

(obligatory post to bump up thread)
Gone fishing for the summer.

#9 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

Rancho Gordo got naked in my house.

...at least I assume he takes his clothes off to shower... :huh:
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#10 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:32 AM

And to think I knew him twenty years ago, back when he was a nobody, just like me!

(Actually, he was really groovy even back then.)

Congrats, Sando!

*hums: "Beans could get no keener reception in a beanery..."*
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#11 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

These are the two beans Google has chosen to "sponsor":
Criollos form Teotitlan del Valle, thanks to our own Shelora
Posted Image

and Rosa de Castilla, from Patzcuaro in Michoacan, from my trip with own Cristina, Memesuze and Jaymes:
Posted Image

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#12 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

And to think I knew him twenty years ago, back when he was a nobody, just like me!

Congrats, Sando!

Just caught this. Squeat and I were in the "Giro Giusto" of San Francisco. Talk about your Bay of Pigs....

#13 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:48 AM

Congrats, Sando!

Just caught this. Squeat and I were in the "Giro Giusto" of San Francisco. Talk about your Bay of Pigs....

And to think that I knew him when he was Mr. Lucky, star of stage and screen and print and the underpopulated internet. Ah, the good old days...

Steve, those beans are beautiful.

#14 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:48 AM

I'm another fan of Rancho Gordo beans. My personal favorite are probably Rio Zape. Anywho, this past Saturday I bought a boatload of beans at Ferry Plaza to last until my next trip west (I know, I know...he ships). Late last night after my flight home, I was standing in the airport waiting for my luggage to offload and I had set my shopping bag on the floor next to me with all the bags of jewel-like beans lined up on top. An attractive woman looked at my face and her eyes then scanned downward. Rather than comment on my swanky shoes or hipster blue jeans she said only "Those beans are soooooo pretty."

Will post results from the bean pot later this month when the weather cools a bit and I feel like having the stove going for several hours.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

I'm another fan of Rancho Gordo beans. My personal favorite are probably Rio Zape. Anywho, this past Saturday I bought a boatload of beans at Ferry Plaza to last until my next trip west (I know, I know...he ships). Late last night after my flight home, I was standing in the airport waiting for my luggage to offload and I had set my shopping bag on the floor next to me with all the bags of jewel-like beans lined up on top. An attractive woman looked at my face and her eyes then scanned downward. Rather than comment on my swanky shoes or hipster blue jeans she said only "Those beans are soooooo pretty."

Will post results from the bean pot later this month when the weather cools a bit and I feel like having the stove going for several hours.

Was I nice to you? Saturday was a blur. How did I look? Was it a good hair day?
Will you tell the others how thin I really am?
Did you tell me you were on MF? Next time you must!