#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

I guess it is open? From Thrillist:

Ssäm are Korea's version of the burrito -- or at least owner David Chang's version, since no one else seems to make them. Until now, Chang has served them at his flagship, Momofuku Noodle Bar, but only from 12-4pm, presumably to locals, the jobless, and people working in death/bottle service.

Now with Ssäm Bar -- which is kind of a classy, gourmet, röck-dötted take on Chipotle -- Chang's ready to sling ssäm to the masses. There are three basic options (Berkshire pork, chicken, or shitake mushrooms), which come wrapped in a flour tortilla along with pico de gallo substitutes like kimchee and coleslaw. While these $10 overstuffs are ideal for takeout, you could easily eat at the glossy wood bar, chasing your chow with Korean beer and chuckling over the losers who hang out in actual Chipotles.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

it's open. i went today and had the #1, the Ssäm. pretty good, despite my elsewhere-voiced personal dislike of wrappy things. could have used more flavor, maybe a better hot sauce might have been left on the table, and maybe wet glutenous rice in a wheat tortilla isn't to my liking. but for $9 or whatever, it's good.

but guess what just opened around the corner on 13th? zabb.

man, i need a headache

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

!!! The Zabb? Did you see a menu?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#5 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

!!! The Zabb? Did you see a menu?

it looks like them, yes.

i have a menu in front of me.

man, i need a headache

#6 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

I guess it is open? From Thrillist:

Ssäm are Korea's version of the burrito -- or at least owner David Chang's version, since no one else seems to make them. Until now, Chang has served them at his flagship, Momofuku Noodle Bar, but only from 12-4pm, presumably to locals, the jobless, and people working in death/bottle service.

Now with Ssäm Bar -- which is kind of a classy, gourmet, röck-dötted take on Chipotle -- Chang's ready to sling ssäm to the masses. There are three basic options (Berkshire pork, chicken, or shitake mushrooms), which come wrapped in a flour tortilla along with pico de gallo substitutes like kimchee and coleslaw. While these $10 overstuffs are ideal for takeout, you could easily eat at the glossy wood bar, chasing your chow with Korean beer and chuckling over the losers who hang out in actual Chipotles.

Funny, I was watching a Korean show and falafels wrapped in pita bread was called Arab ssam.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Walked past that space before I went away, and thought it looked like Momofuku. What do I win?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

You win the life you have been living.

man, i need a headache

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

This is a sort of streamlined Momofuku, although it actually seems more spacious. Very simple menu right now - essentially pancake or "bun" or rice bowl, each with pork, chicken or mushrooms. I may be missing some frills, but that's the heart of it. You walk up to the counter to order, pay at the register, and grab a stool at the long communal table or one of the side tables (and they could fit more seats in, if they wished). One positive we noticed was plenty of staff wiping and cleaning the communal areas all the time, keeping it spotless.

We liked our buns, although the pork was a bit on the salty side. My memory: isn't the pork in the Momofuku buns sliced? Here it was pulled or shredded. Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

Plenty of seats, even weekend at peak-time. Go before the word gets out/everyone gets back from vacation.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#10 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

My memory: isn't the pork in the Momofuku buns sliced? Here it was pulled or shredded. Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

According to Perlow's blog, they're using pork shoulder at Ssam Bar, whereas the original uses pork belly.
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Phew - thanks. I worry about my memory sometimes.
Elect-a-lujah

#12 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

Does Ssäm Bar have its liquor license yet? I'm going on Friday eve but if it doesn't, I may first moisten my liver nearby.

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

It's selling Korean beer. I don't know if it intends to sell anything else: it's all pretty minimalist.
Elect-a-lujah

#14 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:01 PM

It's selling Korean beer. I don't know if it intends to sell anything else: it's all pretty minimalist.

when I was there, there was a fridge full of dr. pepper and no other soft drink.

man, i need a headache

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

As I said - that ain't changed.
Elect-a-lujah