2465 replies to this topic

#46 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, that meal kicked ass. Right up my alley. I'd put the three terrine sandwich, veal head terrine, and the hams at the top of the list. Easily the best US-produced hams I've had... nice balance and great texture. These are serious hams. Benton's reminded me of Speck, and as much as I liked it, I preferred the hams with less smoke. IIRC, there was one ham that didn't see any smoke.

Very conveniently located across from Blue Owl, where you can enjoy an Ellison while waiting for Ssam's doors to open.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#47 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

This time we missed each other by a day, Omni!
I tried the spring rolls - absolutely amazing - and the fried oysters which were scrumptious with the kimchi accompaniement. All went very well with a bubbly (or two).

Is the tripe the same as what is at the other place? I've had it there -such a warm spicyness - yummy...
I think there may be an anchor steam, pork sausage or veal head terrine in my near future...

The service and the chefs were friendly. Perfect food night. :D :D

-spaetzle
Taking a break.

#48 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,960 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, that meal kicked ass. Right up my alley. I'd put the three terrine sandwich, veal head terrine, and the hams at the top of the list. Easily the best US-produced hams I've had... nice balance and great texture. These are serious hams. Benton's reminded me of Speck, and as much as I liked it, I preferred the hams with less smoke. IIRC, there was one ham that didn't see any smoke.

Very conveniently located across from Blue Owl, where you can enjoy an Ellison while waiting for Ssam's doors to open.

Sandwich and veal head yes. Grilled sweetbreads, typically not my favorite prep, were delicious and not overcooked, served with spicy pickles and a cilantro like herb (?). I'd prefer jambon to the Benton ham (not that this means it didn't all vanish somehow)

Very tasty late night food. If they'd consider serving 1/4 Epoisses, I'd take the bait, but a whole one is too much :-)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#49 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

Chef David in today's Times on the late hours:

"“You don’t have the tourists, the babies crying, the people who need their food cut up for them,” he continued. “You get people who like to eat. Gourmands, industry folks."

At last - segregated from the tourists. :P
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#50 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

Sandwich and veal head yes. Grilled sweetbreads, typically not my favorite prep, were delicious and not overcooked, served with spicy pickles and a cilantro like herb (?). I'd prefer jambon to the Benton ham (not that this means it didn't all vanish somehow)

Very tasty late night food. If they'd consider serving 1/4 Epoisses, I'd take the bait, but a whole one is too much :-)

I felt the same way about the Epoisses... $35, right? More power to him if it's selling. But a 1/4 option would be great.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#51 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

made a mistake of going during the day. saw the menu and left. why do the only serve the interesting stuff after 10:30? and only Wed to Sun? :P
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#52 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

"“You don’t have the tourists, the babies crying, the people who need their food cut up for them,” he continued. “You get people who like to eat. Gourmands, industry folks."

Also.
http://www.nysun.com/article/41750

#53 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

I am happy to offer the Wilfrid solution to serving small portions of potentially runny or messy cheeses like Epoisses. Have a piece of scrupulously clean cardboard sheet, or similar, cut to the height and exact diameter of the box. After cutting a wedge of cheese - a quarter of the Epoisses, for example - simply fold the sheet at a 90 degre angle (in this case) and insert it in the box to holds the remaining cheese in place and shape. As further wedges are served, the angle of the sheet's fold is adjusted appropriately.

I thank you.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#54 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

Also.

...Oh Brother;Excuuuse me.Maybe,I've gotta go to work at 7am,can't eat that late,And I don't need anyone to cut my effin food for me.I guess that I'll have to miss out on the fabulousness of it all...
Stung by Nettles

#55 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

Shit... I'm out of the zip code and sure enough when I checked my money it's not green. And after my third child I got this unmistakable craving for boxed mac and cheese.

With that said I think I understand what he was saying. :P

#56 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

"“You don’t have the tourists, the babies crying, the people who need their food cut up for them,” he continued.

Yes, he certainly sounds like someone who should not be in a service industry.

#57 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:00 AM

He has a 'tude, for sure, but the food is gooooood.

edit: and yes, I need my food cut up for me sometimes. Hey, shit happens when a place don't got no knives. :P
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#58 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,960 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Some progress on the cheese front - they tried to negotiate 1/2 a pont l'eveque, but still refused to cut open an Epoisses. Maybe they should consider selling it by the spoon. Nice tripe is spicy broth/soup/oil (served with rice, a surprisingly large dish compared to the others).
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#59 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

That has me scratching my head, because if the price I see online is right, the whole Epoisses is priced at $35. That's not only (at least) double the retail price but significantly more than a mixed cheese plate at Picholine, or indeed Alain Ducasse.* But if chef David knows people will pay the price, I guess the mystery is solved.

*Okay, that's per person, and the Epoisses will feed several. Still doesn't appeal much.
Elect-a-lujah

#60 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:00 PM

At last - segregated from the tourists. :angry:

Also.

...Oh Brother;Excuuuse me.Maybe,I've gotta go to work at 7am,can't eat that late,And I don't need anyone to cut my effin food for me.I guess that I'll have to miss out on the fabulousness of it all...

So go on the weekend.

ediot: whoops, I knew I posted pix but in the wrong thread.