#61 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

Chef David in today's Times on the late hours:

"“You don’t have the tourists, the babies crying, the people who need their food cut up for them,” he continued. “You get people who like to eat. Gourmands, industry folks."

At last - segregated from the tourists. :)

Also.
http://www.nysun.com/article/41750

...Oh Brother;Excuuuse me.Maybe,I've gotta go to work at 7am,can't eat that late,And I don't need anyone to cut my effin food for me.I guess that I'll have to miss out on the fabulousness of it all...

So go on the weekend.

ediot: whoops, I knew I posted pix but in the wrong thread.

Weekends are for tourists... :angry:
Stung by Nettles

#62 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:49 AM

Chef David in today's Times on the late hours:

"“You don’t have the tourists, the babies crying, the people who need their food cut up for them,” he continued. “You get people who like to eat. Gourmands, industry folks."

At last - segregated from the tourists. :angry:

Also.
http://www.nysun.com/article/41750

...Oh Brother;Excuuuse me.Maybe,I've gotta go to work at 7am,can't eat that late,And I don't need anyone to cut my effin food for me.I guess that I'll have to miss out on the fabulousness of it all...

So go on the weekend.

ediot: whoops, I knew I posted pix but in the wrong thread.

Weekends are for tourists...

The hours are Wednesday through Sunday. Unless you're being facetious.

#63 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

I went on Sunday night (late night menu) for a healthy, light dinner/snack. I had the apple salad with lychee, lychee gelee and peanuts. So crisp, light and refreshing. The squid salad was exceptional as well.

I sampled the fried cauliflower, mackeral salad on toast, rice-tots (like tater tots, but made from rice) with a mild dipping sauce and some bread and butter (not just ordinary bread and butter though - sullivan street bakery ciabatta and some beautiful Italian(?) butter). All of these were absolutely amazing, especially the cauliflower and the mackeral salad.

I noticed a few new items on the menu, including a hangar steak - the people sitting next to me got it and it looked marvelous: juicy and rare, served with some bibb lettuce to use as a ssam for the steak. They also got something that looked to be a bun, larger than the normal buns served at the other place, with coleslaw and sausage. I was kind of envious...

The service: friendly as usual; the chef: the nicest person on the planet.

I hope they eventually shift the late menu hours to an earlier time frame... Even just an hour earlier would make it so much more possible (for me) to enjoy this superb menu more frequently.

-spaetzle
Taking a break.

#64 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

okay, is it shpetzle, shpietzle, spetzlie, spatzle, spate-zle, spate-zlie.........?
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#65 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

Right first time. As long as you meant shpetz-ler and not shpetzell.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#66 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

No my dear. It's shpetz-leh, no r on the end.

Of course that first e isn't a true short e like in English. Nor is the second, for that matter.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#67 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

Of course that first e isn't a true short e like in English. Nor is the second, for that matter.

I always pronounce it "schpetzel". As in pretzel.

It probably all depends on which central european country you are eating it in, though...

Except in hungary, it's "nokedli" or "galuska"
Taking a break.

#68 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

You don't pronounce the "r". :angry:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#69 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,960 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

Chawanmushi with black truffles and snails, excellent except for the snails that could have been better (but a mention of this resulted in the appearance of a nice fried cauliflower dish). Cheese service continues to try and find its way, but was finally usable - a decent portion of Langres for a reasonable price ($10?).
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#70 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

That is just plain incorrect. The correct pronunciation is shpetz-leh. It does not rhyme with pretzel.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#71 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,960 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

Oh, and sparkling shiraz (pronounced spark-ling she-raz) has to be one of the silliest things I drank in a while.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#72 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

I kinda like it. It's fun.

#73 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

No sparkling spaetzle?

Oh, wait, this isn't the glitter thread.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#74 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

Maybe glitter food can be the next 'thang.'

Glitter gnocchi
Glitter sushi
Glitter sauce

#75 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

That is just plain incorrect. The correct pronunciation is shpetz-leh. It does not rhyme with pretzel.

Whatever.
Taking a break.