#16 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

Make that 5 in a row :P .

I'm not convinced that a smile is the best addendum to that :P Unless you have a vested interest in the Tiger, of course :P

From the perspective of the game of golf as an entertainment, I think domination is a bad thing. Butch Harman said a few weeks ago that if Tiger plays well in a competition, the only question is who comes second. That means that the PGA Tour is a much less competitive sport, which makes it less interesting to watch. If that starts to drop TV audiences, and thereby the prize money on offer, that will have a beneficiail long-term effect on the sport. But I'll be sorry to lose interest in the meantime.
]
I like and respect Tiger Woods, but I really don't want him to be that good for much longer.

I hear this argument all the time, especially concerning parity in baseball and football. Although I think many people want it to be true, I doubt it is. Golf has flourished since Tiger started dominated, because we all want to watch him and how good he is. Tennis is much more exciting when there is one or two dominant stars (Mac, Sampras, Agassi), rather a bunch of no-bodies popping up for a major or two. In football and baseball, everyone wants to see streaks and records broken. When a team is dominant, it creates the buzz. Parity sucks.

Tiger's current streak is exceptional. When was the last time a golfer won 5 in a row? Given the subtlties of golf, it's almost impossible. Tiger didn't take the lead until the last day -- it's not like he ran away from it from the start.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#17 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:13 PM

What Stone says is very true. Parity keeps the home team fans coming for as long as possible because they believe their team has a shot but when it comes to TV ratings, dominance sells. Tiger is the biggest draw golf ever had and having him at the top of the leader board makes Sunday hugely profitable.

The danger of course is what happens to the tournaments that Tiger doesn't play in.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#18 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

I agree with Stone.

There has never, by the way, been anyone as good as Tiger in this sport. Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever. They are nothing compared to this guy. And that is good for the sport. Plus he is black!
"I mispoke."

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

Plus he is black!

no, he's thai!

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 Shrike

Shrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

You are both right!
March 21, 2010 NYC Half Marathon
April 25, 2010 Big Sur Marathon
Montauk Century May, 16 2010
Sept. 26, 2010 Berlin Marathon

#21 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

FWIW,
Anecdotal evidence suggests that play is significantly down at Golf Clubs around the country.

This compared to the rapid rise in construction and play during the time that Tiger initially entered the Tour.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#22 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

FWIW,
Anecdotal evidence suggests that play is significantly down at Golf Clubs around the country.

It's the lousy food.

#23 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

FWIW,

It's the lousy food.

You have me sir. I am at a complete and utter loss.

But that was fucking funny! :P :P
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,947 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

FWIW,

This compared to the rapid rise in construction and play during the time that Tiger initially entered the Tour.

Tennis went thru a similar rise and fall. Lots of pros changing careers in SoCal. Some tennis clubs in good areas selling their land to developers.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#25 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever.

Jack Nicklaus was a dominating force in golf. That is beyond dispute. 73 tournament victories and 18 Majors, with second place finishes in 19 more majors, plus two U.S. Amateurs.

#26 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

FWIW,

It's the lousy food.

You have me sir. I am at a complete and utter loss.

But that was fucking funny! :P :P

Well, then, get up and dance.

Posted Image

#27 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

The danger of course is what happens to the tournaments that Tiger doesn't play in.

This.

Fly
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#28 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever.

Jack Nicklaus was a dominating force in golf. That is beyond dispute. 73 tournament victories and 18 Majors, with second place finishes in 19 more majors, plus two U.S. Amateurs.

Do you really want to do this? Tiger is 30 today.
"I mispoke."

#29 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

yes, I am totally comfortable debating you on whether Jack Nicklaus was one of the greatest golfers of all time and a totally dominating force in his prime. What that has to do with Tiger''s age, I have no idea.

#30 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

yes, I am totally comfortable debating you on whether Jack Nicklaus was one of the greatest golfers of all time and a totally dominating force in his prime. What that has to do with Tiger''s age, I have no idea.

Of course you know Ron. You are quoting Nicklaus career numbers. I am not saying Woods is "one of the the greatest," I am saying he is the greatest and you know it.
"I mispoke."