Gone fishing for the summer.

#32 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:09 AM

Didn't Peter Cook play Tony Danza's nanny in some show?

#33 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:18 AM

Myron Cohen
Norm Crosby

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#34 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

this is the problem with this site. no one has yet mentioned the kids in the hall, w.c fields, laurel and hardy, michael kelly or spike milligan. not to mention peter cook. no wonder i feel so superior all the time.

Peter Cook is hysterical, but one cannot think of all the funny people all the time.

Only one member mentioned you, Mongo: I flat out refused because I think your vanity at being brilliant, handsome, married to a woman ten times prettier than you are, and being a good cook ought to suffice.

Ranitidine, I just recalled that Paul Simon basketball thing, and it was great.

I forgot one of the funniest things I ever saw...Steve Martin (whose comedy, if not recent films, made me howl in the kind of weight-losing laughter that is rare these days) with Martin Mull in the Steve Martin Mull Show.

Circa, oh, 1979? Earlier? In the Great Southeast Music Hall in Atlanta. Steve Martin made balloon animals and played banjo, but Martin Mull wore a rainbow wig and played slide guitar with a giant (I mean, GIANT) vibrator. And though context is much in comedy, everyone in that tiny club knew they were in the presence of greatness.

I did get to see Steve Martin on his first Tonight Show appearance, where he "read the phone book" (anyone see that? "Figueroa Wonderbutt"?) and played a joke on the eight million people who were changing channels. For those of us who stayed up late and went to school the next morning, it was as though we had seen a prophet.

#35 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:48 AM

In addition to the aforementioned Mr. Jones:

Garry Moore
Carol Burnett when she was first on TV with Garry Moore
Bob and Ray
Groucho
Lucy
Lily Tomlin
Early Whoopi
Kathy and Mo

My friend Kimball, my friend Claire
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#36 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:21 AM

Posted Image

Dallas Raines, the weatherman.

#37 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

Ah, Kathy and Mo. First time I saw them live I almost split a gut.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#38 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

In Living Color

Jim Carey when he was working small comedy clubs and later as Fire Marshal Bill

#39 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Prime SNL with Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest and Martin Short. Men's Synchronized Swimming sketch? Jack Rogers Jr. 100,000 dollar Jack-Pot Wad?
Blackadder, especially seasons two and three.
The New Statesman
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#40 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Peter Cook
Eddie Izzard
Bill Bailey
Billy Connolly (but not lately)
Steve Coogan
Rowan Atkinson
Jennifer Saunders
The Fast Show (aka Brilliant)
The Office
Little Britain
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
Have I Got New for You
Black Books
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Eddie Izzard makes me laugh. Laugh out loud, laugh till it hurts, sometimes tears.

You must thank me for discovering him. (Okay, everyone else would have discovered him anyway, but I was first :P ).
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#42 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

Abbott and Costello

"Who's On First"

I never ever tire of it.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

Something about Fawlty Towers always makes me laugh.

Did you know that Connie Booth, who played the blonde waitress with the really fine body, co-wrote the series with Cleese?

Just to round out the picture, they were married at the time.

Peter Cook is probably the funniest man of the twentieth century. The funniest man in New York today, present company excepted, is Seth Rudetsky.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#44 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

Just added Eddie Izzard to the Netfliz queue based on so many diverse recommendations. I even moved him to the top of the queue, above Susan Hayworth in I Want to Live! so there will be hell to pay if he isn't funny.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

He wears nicer frocks than Susan Hayward, anyway.
Elect-a-lujah