306 replies to this topic

#286 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:56 AM

In my experience buying single tickets far, far too late, it's Second Ring that tends to sell out before Third Ring, because they're about the same price. I never got to sit Second Ring until I started buying tickets more than a day or two in advance.

These look typical:

Tonight's performance
RX3wcLKl.png

Sunday matinee
vutNes7l.png

This looks weird:

Tuesday night's performance
dELjZJvl.png
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#287 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:02 AM

On the matinee today – Apollo was the second ballet I've seen, and the first that I went to out of a real desire to go. (The actual first was Midsummer Night's Dream, but I went with friends and didn't know what it was all about.)

Still astonishingly beautiful. If I can complain at all, it's that it made Mozartiana and Cortège Hongrois, the other pieces on the program, look insignificant in comparison. I mean, they are, but it doesn't make for a very satisfying program.

I see from my emails that that first performance I went to was ApolloAgonDuo Concertant, and Symphony in Three Movements as part of a Stravinsky/Balanchine black and white program. That one sounds much better.

#288 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, that one sounds much better.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#289 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

Third ring wasn't empty, but it wasn't packed.

The Red Violin was predictably mediocre. Russian Seasons was predictably sublime.

dance odyssey, the Peter Walker premiere, was a lot of fun!! In much the same vein as ten in seven with some nice moments of silliness. I want to see more of Peter Walker's stuff, and I hope that he discovers the joy of capital letters some day.

#290 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thats good to hear!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#291 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

I cant begin to understand how the audience here found anything to like about Spectral Evidence.

#292 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

Starting to suspect that Prokofiev wrote Romeo and Juliet as a cruel joke to troll unsuspecting choreographers into writing ridiculous pas de deux between Romeo and Juliet's unconscious body.

#293 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

The biggest difference between my taste and that of the critics covering ballet here is that I'm a huge sucker for ballets to contemporary pieces that don't go anywhere. I was a fan of The Shimmering Asphalt, and today I really enjoyed Neverwhere too. Neither of those pieces were especially well-received, but I love them both. I missed Neverwhere during the Here/Now Festival last year, and I'm glad I managed to catch it this time around.

Namouna, of course, remains quite great. Mothership, of course, remains a little blah.

As for The Decalogue (which was what I actually came to see), well... I hear it got reworked to an extent? No ballerina got dropped on her butt this time around, but I still don't know if that was intentional the first time around. I didn't quite love it the first time around, though, and I still don't quite love it. The score is fine, but it lacks a little something – especially next to the Muhly piece in Neverwhere.

I will say that my favorite Peck pieces are still Year of the RabbitEverywhere We Go, and Rodeo. I haven't seen Pulcinella Variations, which looks to have garnered good reviews, but nothing I've seen from Peck that was made in the last few years quite measures up to his earlier work, though The Times Are Racing comes close.

I still look forward to Peck's new work, but I do think that nothing he's given us recently quite measures up to the prodigious potential he demonstrated earlier. It's odd to leave a Here/Now program thinking that the big Peck piece was only the third best piece performed. The people sitting near me mostly felt the same way, too.

#294 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

I really really liked The Shimmering Asphalt.  Really really.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#295 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:59 AM

Me too! But the critics gave it nearly unanimous middling grades!

#296 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:34 PM

?>!>!?>?!???!?

#297 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:13 AM

?

#298 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:11 AM

I used to get emails from my mom like that. Usually meant the cat walked on her keyboard.

#299 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

?>!>!?>?!???!?

Isn't this the kind of thing you should say to them in private, rather than spreading it on the internet?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#300 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Finlay out, Ramasar and Catazaro suspended.

I was really looking forward to seeing Ramasar dance for City Ballet again after Carousel ends. Oh well.