99 replies to this topic

#1 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

Our old wonderful Krups coffeemaker is acting up very badly (something to do with the auto shut-off; it keeps thinking it's finished, and cleaning it doesn't help anymore). Since it owes us nothing we are going to get something new rather than try to have it repaired (it took 1.5 years to get a replacement part for it the last time we tried). What we liked most about it is the thermal carafe. I started looking around and am overawed by the current variety in coffee makers. Does anyone have a non-pod-style maker that was purchased in the past couple of years with which they are very happy?

Fly
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#2 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

I'm pretty happy with the stainless steel cuisinart I bought two years ago. One problem, however, is that it's easy to put in too maany grounds, and when the water goes in, they float up and clog the holes and sometimes spill over into the water reseviour. I'm just more careful with how many grounds go in.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

I need a new one also.

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

There are some long threads on coffee makers and coffee making on eG. Some people are pretty weird about their coffee. But I guess you knew that already.

The obsessives demand that the water get to about 205*, but apparently few coffee makers can get that high.

I personally find that the Bodom vacuum makes better coffee than the auto makers, but they make very small amounts.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

The obsessives demand that the water get to about 205*, but apparently few coffee makers can get that high.

I think anything over 205 is called McDonald's coffee.

#6 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

On the recommendation of my local coffee roaster, I bought the two cup version of this by Melitta. Being able to pass hotter water through the coffee most definitely makes a difference.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#7 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

In my single days I used a manual Melitta and agree it makes coffee wonderfully. We actually take the Krups carafe and basket with us on our camping trips and make our coffee in this same way. But for every day, I find that now in my old age (!) it's nice to have something on which I can press a button, then wander off to take a bath or shower and have the coffee waiting for me when I am done (and can make enough for me to leave a cup or two for the hubby when he gets up). We have actually (horrors!) sunk to the depths of using pre-ground coffee most mornings, as I found using a coffee grinder at 6:30 a.m. to be very annoying, although we still buy fresh beans for "company."

Fly
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

Manual Melitta for me, too.

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

I think anything over 205 is called McDonald's coffee.

Or, in legal parlance, 'money in the bank'.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#10 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image
Francis X5 has been great.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#11 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Rancho:

That is what I have, but it has broken twice. The last time was a complete meltdown.

Where does one get these things repaired?

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

Manual melittas, or machines that drip through a filter - they don't do it for me. I get a rich coffee when the water has time to become one with the coffee...percolates, if you will. Stovetop percolator, electric percolator...that's what I like.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#13 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Manual melittas, or machines that drip through a filter - they don't do it for me. I get a rich coffee when the water has time to become one with the coffee...percolates, if you will. Stovetop percolator, electric percolator...that's what I like.

French Press?

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

That's a step in the right direction. but I like the coffee to really percolate in water.

We use this at home:

http://www.amazon.co.....=bodum santos

We have the stovetop one, but the electric ones are good too.

There are also these kinds:

http://www.amazon.co.....=bodum santos
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#15 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

Those look like you could smoke pot out of them. :P