#1 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Slow news week.

I thought the very idea of this article to be pretty lame.

Hey! Maybe a generation brought up on milkshakes burgers, mac-n-cheese, Hot Dogs and fries is coming into their own and their banquet food choices reflect that.

Random thought: This media obsession with all things culinary can be laughable.

The front page of the Times food section...Indeed.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#2 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

I haven't read it but was slyly hoping it was an article about the better conditions that non-factory farmed hogs were receiving. :P
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

My sister-in-law pointed out years ago that no matter how elegant and sophisticated the other hors d'oeuvres are, it's the pigs in blankets that everyone goes for.

#4 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

My sister-in-law pointed out years ago that no matter how elegant and sophisticated the other hors d'oeuvres are, it's the pigs in blankets that everyone goes for.

I've done more Bar/Bat/Bas Mitzvahs than I can count.

They are always a part of the kids buffet for any function. Not just Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Yes a number of adults eat them--as well as the chicken fingers and pizza bagels.

Yes, sometimes they are requested for any number of adult cocktail parties, but this is nothing new.

BTW, I make my own. Foot long, skin on Hebrew National Kosher Franks. Slather with dusseldorf mustard, top with Ba-Tampte kraut and roll em up in puff pastery (Durkee's or Pillsbury). Brush with wash. Cook until brown and slice into one inch widths.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

I haven't read it but was slyly hoping it was an article about the better conditions that non-factory farmed hogs were receiving. :P

It can get chilly on those farms . . .

#6 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

:P :P :P
loser magnet

#7 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

My husband's favorite party food. :P He's still talking about the PinBs that David Burke brought to a pigfest Drew threw several years ago.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Funny. I don't feel this way about mini potato latkes.

Go figure.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

They can be a lifesaver at an open-bar wedding reception.

#10 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

A 1940s supposedly Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook that a friend gave me last week describes "pigs in the blanket" as being bacon wrapped around oysters.

#11 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

Nope, that's angels on horseback. Or maybe devils on horseback? But not pigs in a blanket.

Edited to add: A quick search confirms: angels on horseback. The "devils" variation substitutes prunes for the oysters.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#12 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

I've made these for my kids' birthday parties. They are hoovered up by kids and adults within 15 minutes of setting them out.

The version with puff pastry and sauerkraut sounds worth trying.

#13 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

BTW, I make my own. Foot long, skin on Hebrew National Kosher Franks. Slather with dusseldorf mustard, top with Ba-Tampte kraut and roll em up in puff pastery (Durkee's or Pillsbury). Brush with wash. Cook until brown and slice into one inch widths.

reminds me of the version i used to make - found it in one of bread books - basically smoked sausages like kielbasa or kabanos pushed into a slab of good bread dough and baked - very nice...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#14 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

I think this recipe might be timeless:

Pigs, sorry, "Piggies" in a Blanket with a certain twist.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

I think this recipe might be timeless:

Pigs, sorry, "Piggies" in a Blanket with a certain twist.

I think it's charming!
So easy and nummy yummy good! :blink: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed