192 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:53 AM

Don't be tempted into eating Thai food in mpls. There was one good Indian place (where they made their own curry bases, etc.), but I think it is no longer.

you will be pleased to know that the post-talk dinner with my hosts will be at a thai restaurant. will try to make it to either barbette's or ike's (if not both) for lunch/brunch.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

Somehow missed this thread until now.

There is good food to be had here in the Twin Cities but you might have to work a little bit to get it.

Will be interested to hear what Thai place your hosts pick. There are some awful places that claim Thai-ness but there are a few small quality places. True Thai on Franklin is one of the decent ones. Sawatdee with all of it's locations is the most popular and I cannot understand why.

Even though Orik spoke ill of Saint Paul, it is the place to go for cheap Vietnamese and Hmong food. If you see signs for "FAWN" that is a sort of Hmong version of Pho. Mai Village on University Avenue is a decent place for a bite to eat. University Avenue in Saint Paul is sort of Broadway for the Hmong community.

I'm a big fan of Lucias. Very solid food with a focus on local stuff and a decent wine list. It is the sort of place that may be better for us locals because of its consistency. Out of towners tend to want to be blown away.

As for steaks...yes, Manny's is the place. Mostly because it is independent. Capital Grille serves a fine steak, I'm sure, but you can get it in any major city in the US.

If you like lamb, there is a great Afghani restaurant called, conveniently enough, Da Afghan and it serves fantastic organic lamb locally sourced. It is a bit hard to find, south of Minneapolis in the suburb of Richfield. Near the intersection of 35W and 494 if that makes any sense.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#18 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

Don't be tempted into eating Thai food in mpls. There was one good Indian place (where they made their own curry bases, etc.), but I think it is no longer.

you will be pleased to know that the post-talk dinner with my hosts will be at a thai restaurant. will try to make it to either barbette's or ike's (if not both) for lunch/brunch.

I am very pleased to hear that. Take a lemon to bite on, it'll help break the sweetness. If you are being taken to King and I Thai, abandon all hope.

SLBunge -- I recall one dinner at Da Afghan that was decent, but didn't justify a return trip. I guess it may have improved over the past 5 years.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#19 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Oh, and do not go to St. Paul.

Best advice ever posted on Mouthfuls.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#20 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

I am very pleased to hear that. Take a lemon to bite on, it'll help break the sweetness. If you are being taken to King and I Thai, abandon all hope.

SLBunge -- I recall one dinner at Da Afghan that was decent, but didn't justify a return trip. I guess it may have improved over the past 5 years.

Agree. The cloying sweetness at most of the Thai restaurants is very hard to explain and King and I is a prime example of this abomination.

Oh, and do not go to St. Paul.

Best advice ever posted on Mouthfuls.

Oh stop. You just didn't have a sufficiently well-informed host. Or perhaps you don't enjoy the irony in Italo-American fare?

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

I appreciated the irony in pecan-crusted walleye alright.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

The scary fill-in-the-blank-crusted Walleye is hard to avoid.

It's funny because line-caught Walleye right out of the water and served for a shore lunch in Northern Minnesota can be very good eating. Doesn't translate well to fine dining, I'm afraid. Particularly when crusted.

#23 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

And this was at the highest Zagat-rated restaurant in the city. Of course, I didn't realise then how little that meant.
Elect-a-lujah

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

dinner tonight at pad thai in st. paul (both the univ i'm visiting and my hotel are in st. paul). decent enough food--asked for some stuff at the hottest possible setting and this brought it up to about medium-high. yes, some stuff was of the sweet variety but nothing too offensive. i cook dinner for friends tomorrow night; brunch sunday will be at the market mentioned upthread.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#25 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:51 AM

Ah...that's in my neighborhood. I've eaten at Pad Thai only one time and remember it being reasonable. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

#26 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:12 AM

can you recommend a vietnamese/hmong place somewhere near the bandana square (if that's a neighbourhood) area for a quick pre-movie lunch?

~homer simpson

#27 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

can you recommend a vietnamese/hmong place somewhere near the bandana square (if that's a neighbourhood) area for a quick pre-movie lunch?

Mai Village at 394 University Ave in St. Paul is reasonably close to bandana square. I haven't been since they seriously sparkled up the place last summer but people I know have gone and say the food is still good. Mostly Vietnamese with some Hmong dishes.

Another interesting place is to grab prepared foods from Tai Hoa BBQ at 854 University Ave in St. Paul. Zero ambience. Like none. I think they have three tables. Essentially a Vietnamese butcher shop they also make salads with tripe, barbecued pork, chicken feet, and other stuff you don't find at the Mall of America.

Otherwise, you could go out on your own to one of the many noodle shops studded along University Avenue in Saint Paul. Look for the word Fawn which is the Hmong-styled version of the Pho.

#28 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

we ended up at a place called saigon on university avenue for lunch yesterday (601?). my pho was excellent, as were the pork rind spring rolls. them that got banh mi were pleased as well. the place was packed. best not to look at the floors while you eat though--there were what looked like bloody footprints near our table.

and hearty thanks to those who recommended the global midtown market. lunch and browsing there today. i also ate the excellent octopus tacos at la sirena gorda. my friend got something involving chorizo and a thick corn tortilla at another stand. we chowed down while watching people get salsa lessons in the central area. if i lived in the twin cities i'd have to come here on a weekly basis--some of the other counters looked very tempting as well.

i cooked dinner last night, and tonight's dinner will likely be pizza (childcare complications for my friends).

i enjoyed what i saw of the area--and really lucked out on the weather. didn't even have to wear anything warm out today.

~homer simpson

#29 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

i enjoyed what i saw of the area--and really lucked out on the weather. didn't even have to wear anything warm out today.

Uh-oh. Pantsless in St. Paul?

#30 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

i forgot to mention a decent dinner at a neighbourhood restaurant in saint paul by the name of muffuletta. i do not recommend trying the beer/cheese soup, as i did, just to see if it is as vile as it sounds (it is), but my pork tenderloin was quite nice. this is in a neighbourhood with como in its name.

~homer simpson