963 replies to this topic

#16 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#17 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

Plums, including green ones although I don't know if they were greengages.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#18 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

Mine have tasted like flat bad pancakes. Or chewy. or eggy.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#19 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Inspiration is on the wing.

I started salivating while reading David Karp's article on French Greengages. I don't usually eat desserts, but finishing up a meal with fresh fruit or cheese (or both) is what I like best.

On Wednesday next, I should be settled into my Paris apartment by one in the afternoon. It's on rue du Petit Musc, three blocks south of rue St-Antoine, which bisects the Marais from east (place de la Bastille) to west, where it becomes rue Rivoli. On the corner of Petit Musc and St-Antoine is one of the great greengrocers in Paris, with the highest quality seasonal fruits and vegetables to be found. (And, unfortunately, some of the highest prices.)

My first excursion, after a shower, shall be to stroll down there to discuss la Reine Claude Dorée with the patron, and if possible to buy a clutch. Dessert? Maybe with some Maroilles? Or a light entree, with some jamon bellota? Or breakfast, in a bowl with some crème fleuri or frâiche and toasted brioche? Suggest some more, and I'll let you know.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#20 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

It should be a lot like a crepe (therefore, a good flat pancake), with stuff embedded in it. The recipe I use is the one in James Peterson's French cookbook. You can get the recipe online at Amazon if you look up his book and search "clafoutis". There are some awful vesions out there, I tried a bunch before settling on this one.

I love greengage plums. Guinardi's in Pennsylvania used to carry them, and I've gotten them at Schnucks here in town. I always wondered if they were related to the hard, sour little green plums we used to eat in the spring in Lebanon. Those get similarly sweet as they ripen. Always tried to convince the grocer to ship the greengages in unripe, but he had no control over that end of the supply chain.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#21 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

Inspiration is on the wing.

I started salivating while reading David Karp's article on French Greengages. I don't usually eat desserts, but finishing up a meal with fresh fruit or cheese (or both) is what I like best.

On Wednesday next, I should be settled into my Paris apartment by one in the afternoon. It's on rue du Petit Musc, three blocks south of rue St-Antoine, which bisects the Marais from east (place de la Bastille) to west, where it becomes rue Rivoli. On the corner of Petit Musc and St-Antoine is one of the great greengrocers in Paris, with the highest quality seasonal fruits and vegetables to be found. (And, unfortunately, some of the highest prices.)

My first excursion, after a shower, shall be to stroll down there to discuss la Reine Claude Dorée with the patron, and if possible to buy a clutch. Dessert? Maybe with some Maroilles? Or a light entree, with some jamon bellota? Or breakfast, in a bowl with some crème fleuri or frâiche and toasted brioche? Suggest some more, and I'll let you know.

Maurice, I'm swooning :P . I had to look at Pages Jaunes photos de villes to see the shop you're describing. It's "Halles St. Antoine?" I know the sort of grocer you're talking about: small, unassuming, but with fruits that are worthy of the displays in the windows at Cartier.
Yes, with Maroilles! Yes with Jamon! Yes with cream!
loser magnet

#22 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

It should be a lot like a crepe (therefore, a good flat pancake), with stuff embedded in it. The recipe I use is the one in James Peterson's French cookbook. You can get the recipe online at Amazon if you look up his book and search "clafoutis". There are some awful vesions out there, I tried a bunch before settling on this one.

I love greengage plums. Guinardi's in Pennsylvania used to carry them, and I've gotten them at Schnucks here in town. I always wondered if they were related to the hard, sour little green plums we used to eat in the spring in Lebanon. Those get similarly sweet as they ripen. Always tried to convince the grocer to ship the greengages in unripe, but he had no control over that end of the supply chain.

I agree. It might take a few tries to find a good recipe. Try tweaking the flour content (and not overmixing), or use milk instead of cream. Right out of the oven it should be puffy and golden. Once it's deflated, is is indeed a bit eggy, but like a firm custard, not tough.
loser magnet

#23 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:17 PM

Maurice, I'm swooning :P . I had to look at Pages Jaunes photos de villes to see the shop you're describing. It's "Halles St. Antoine?" I know the sort of grocer you're talking about: small, unassuming, but with fruits that are worthy of the displays in the windows at Cartier.

Why, aren't you clever! I keep forgetting about the wonders of les pages jaunes. Yes, Halles St. Antoine is exactly right. They also have a prime selection of heirloom tomatoes--right now! And baby purple artichokes, and Cepes, and . . .
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

#24 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,405 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

Why, aren't you clever! I keep forgetting about the wonders of les pages jaunes. Yes, Halles St. Antoine is exactly right. They also have a prime selection of heirloom tomatoes--right now! And baby purple artichokes, and Cepes, and . . .

I love it when you talk produce. :P
Future Legacy Participant.

#25 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

please, stop.
loser magnet

#26 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

I keep forgetting about the wonders of les pages jaunes. Yes, Halles St. Antoine is exactly right. They also have a prime selection of heirloom tomatoes--right now! And baby purple artichokes, and Cepes, and . . .

please, stop.

Aw, you're just like all the others! Damn.

#27 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

My peach clafouti turned out very nicely! I ended up tossing the peach slices with sugar and plum schnaps, and I heated up the liquid and spooned it over the clafouti when I served it, and we had glasses of the schnaps to drink with it.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#28 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

How about rhubarb? In English boarding school in the 60's, we would have it for dessert - stewed with custard. Didn't care for it. But I love making rhubarb crumble - it's my dessert of choice in the short winters we have down here. I don't like adding strawberries: i don't care for the consistency of cooked strawberries. But I do add some sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Sometimes apples.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#29 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

The last two nights I've been eating this spice cake with hot brandy caramel.

The recipe was something I made up by combining components I liked from recipes found online.

Posted Image

#30 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

I snagged some white chocolate bread pudding cheesecake with creme anglaise, made by the chef in the Central Market cooking school last night - Happy Abdelbaki, from New Orleans, now relocated in Mississippi.

It's my dessert tonight while I watch the Texas-OU game!
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.