235 replies to this topic

#226 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

wheeeee I'm one of those coming up to Vancouver this weekend as well. Can't wait! Last time I was there... (last September) we had a great dinner at Sanafir, and then went bar hopping. My memory is a bit fuzzy after that blush.gif Other than that, it's been a looooong time. I remember a lovely, lovely dinner at Le Crocodile, I think 6 yrs ago, that one sticks in my head as particularly memorable, not just because the food was fantastic but also because of the service. I hope that restaurant is still doing well.

Oh, I'd like to find some pearl sugar, you know, the stuff for gaufres...?
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#227 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

They have a great farmer's market there, with lots of organic fruits and veggies. I was there in 2006 and was able to procure collards, chicken, and even corn meal to make a Southern fried chicken dinner for my hosts.
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#228 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

I've always heard good things about Le Crocodile but haven't been. What about Parkside? Or Chambar? Those are also on my list.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#229 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

Le Crocodile has a phenomenal reputation. Unfortunately, Parkside is now closed but it has become L'Altro Buca, a neighborhood Italian restaurant by the same group. I have been to the first La Buca and it is fantastic and I am sure this is just as good. But it's no Parkside.

What kind of food are you wanting to have? Are you looking for fine dining, or more casual?

#230 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(peppyre @ May 20 2009, 10:11 AM) View Post
What kind of food are you wanting to have? Are you looking for fine dining, or more casual?

Probably one fine dining dinner and two casual ones. I don't know if fine dining is the right descriptor - let's call it one extravagant dinner. That way it could be at a place that's not necessarily white table cloth. The type of food is probably not the driving factor - Malarkey and SeaGal - would you agree? I'm more looking for interesting, fun, places that are hopefully different than what we see here in Seattle. Great food is, of course, a requirement.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#231 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ May 20 2009, 10:55 AM) View Post
I don't know if fine dining is the right descriptor - let's call it one extravagant dinner. That way it could be at a place that's not necessarily white table cloth.

Wouldn't that be "bistronomic?" laugh.gif

Agreed. Type isn't important, good food is very important.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#232 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

OK...that makes it easier. Market is apparently quite good. I haven't eaten there yet myself, but it is high on the list.

I would also highly recommend Kingyo , one of my favorite restaurants and something you don't have in Seattle.

#233 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Lauren you guys never reported back!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#234 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Dec 8 2009, 12:42 PM) View Post
Lauren you guys never reported back!

I'm so bad! Good thing I have a Flickr set for this trip or I might not remember it all.

Briefly, we met some friends of Malarkey's for a fantastic meal at Le Crocodile. It was my first time there, after hearing rave reviews for years. This place is all about the sauce and here's a sample of them:

We had ramen at Kintaro, which I liked but I'm not sure the others did
Miso

Shoyu

Shio

We had a not-so-great dinner at Chambar. The cocktails were interesting

And one of the highlights was going to dim sum at Gingeri with Joie and her friends.

To be continued.........

#235 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

On our last night we started with wonderful cocktails at West

And then ended the weekend with a fabulous meal at Vij's (no pictures). Hopefully others can fill in any gaps that I have!

Here are a couple of random shots

View from our hotel room

Matthew's book on display at Barbara Jo's

#236 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,446 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

Wine Spectator has a nice mention of the Wickaninnish Inn and Pointe Restaurant in Tofino, BC.  Looks like a gorgeous place with a 3/4 view of the Pacific coastline.

Collaboration with the Tofino-Ucluelet Culinary Guild complements a longstanding focus on farm-fresh, organic Vancouver Island ingredients. The bounty of the very waters overlooked by The Pointe defines the dining experience at the Wickaninnish Inn.

Our delectable- and adventurous - dessert menu delights with the purest chocolate and hand-selected elements

http://www.wickinn.c...inte-restaurant

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli