235 replies to this topic

#31 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:12 PM

I had very good dim sum at Sun Sui Wah in Richmond, although I think I preferred Kirin downtown overall.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#32 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:29 PM

Well, Kirin and Sun Sui Wah, as mentioned, have affiliates in Richmond.

Foodwise, Richmond has many Asian-financed malls of various sizes, with a number of different Asian restaurants included in them. They are usually visible from the road or when one drives into the mall's parking areas. Among the interesting things are Asian food courts (some with over 20-25 small stalls). The largest one may be the one in the building housing the large Japanese-based supermarket called Yohan. I forget the stalls that are good, but I could consult my notes if you actually decide to go. ;)

#33 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Yohan food court, a venue I mentioned above, is indicated in a Vancouver Magazine article for this month.

http://www.vancouver....com/bites.html

#34 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

I have enjoyed the bi bim bop at a place called Soeul Express, they serve it in a stone bowl with sides of various Kim Chi. BTW the Vancouver Magazine article talk's about Parkside. It is not to be missed in my opinion. Had another great meal there Saturday night, in spite of a really annoying young waiter.

#35 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:42 AM

Other quirky aspects of the Vancouver food culture:

-- Vij's is constantly highly rated, although I have yet to visit and I doubt I would like the Indian-related cuisine.

I am an Indian food novice but I LOVED Vij's. I would go again in a heartbeat. I had a wonderful prawn appetizer (extremely fresh tasting prawns) and the Lamb Popsicles, and a BC cider. Vij is very friendly and stops by the table to chat and will help with your ordering if you need suggestions. My hubby doesn't like food too hot, and Vij brought him some extra raita to counter balance the heat. We went early (when they opened) to avoid the crowds. They don't take res. and they fill up fast.

I also loved my dinner at West (I had the seafood tasting menu, hubby the land tasting one) with wine pairings, all excellent. Chef Hawksworth is very nice.

Also enjoyed the Lumiere bar menu, and Chef Feenie came in and chatted to some friends near our table (he's cute).

I was a little disappointed in the dim sum at Sun Sui Wah in Richmond. Even went there twice to make sure. It wasn't bad per se, but I guess I expected more (and I might not have chosen the right things, as I know people love this place). I also wanted to try their sqaub specialty. The first time the waitress said they were out, then the 2nd time was told only available in the evening). I would try Kirin next time.

#36 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,646 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

I am planning a trip to Vancouver/Whistler later this winter. Lumiere and Chinese seafood are definitely on my list for Vancouver, where I will probably spend three nights before heading to Whistler for four or five days skiing. What else should I not miss?
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#37 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

Definitely don't miss West.

Delicious haute Italian at Bis Moreno.

And many consider Vij's to be the best Indian cuisine outside of India.

#38 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

Daisy, please be sure to report back after your trip. I'm hoping to get to Vancouver at the end of May, and as it's been a while since I dined around the old neighbourhood I could also use some reccs.
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#39 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:00 AM

In Whistler, I really like the Bearfoot Bistro. There is a fancy restaurant with an expensive tasting menu but I think a better option is the bar area...great room, great food at reasonable prices.

If you want steak, Hy's Steakhouse is very good..Canadian minichain.

Fairmount Whistler Chateau is a very grand hotel..we didn't eat..but worth stopping for a drink.

Best sushi we found was Sushi Village..2nd floor..right in the main village.

Dublin's Gate..fun Irish Bar with ok food and live music..right in the village.

#40 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:00 PM

Miss J -- I suggest going to the bar area of Lumiere (not Feenie's, but the entryway to the more formal restaurant) and sitting at a table or at the bar, and ordering this, with a glass of red:

Fusilli col Buco Bolognese
and shaved parmigiano reggiano C$18

This is worthwhile tasting too:

Roasted Marinated Sablefish
sake & maple syrup-marinated with sautéed potatoes and leeks, shimiji, short-rib meat and soy & hijiki broth (C$12)

Then:
Geoduck simply prepared at Kirin on Cambie St (there are several; be careful). Since this place has decent dim sum, a lunch may be a good occasion to try the geoduck. You may need 2-3 people to order a whole geoduck. Wonder whether dish is available for 1 person.

If you have enough people, Alaska King Crab at SSW (this is a very large crab). This place has good squab too, at least the Main location.

Call Shijo's to ask if they have fresh local (large) sea urchin for sashimi

#41 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:17 AM

Well, it doesn't sound like you Vancouverites get over to the island much. We have a lot more going on than tea at the Empress and Butchart Gardens.
:rolleyes:
What Victoria, the Cowichan Valley and Tofino have are a vibrant food culture. We have cideries, award winning wineries, the only herd of water buffalo (not producing buffalo mozzarella), and wonderful farmgate cheeses. We also have dedicated organic farmers that are supplying some the best restaurants on the island.

I will begin with Victoria.
When in town, I heartily recommend Cafe Brio on Fort St., here we have an excellent wine list with amazing food. Owner/maitre d' will steer you to the best wines and the wait staff is knowledgable and all have been there long term, they know the food and the wine.
For something darker and more casual, try Brasserie L'ecole, French comfort food, excellent value with extensive French beer selection and international wine menu. Great for bar seating.

More casual even still and an industry hangout is Zambri's. A small brother and sister act, that serves classical inspired Italian fare with menu items listed daily on a blackboard. Saturday evenings they have a set menu dinner option with wine pairing by their sommelier, Frances Sidhu.

Since you will be here at the end of summer, I also recommend booking an outdoor table at Deep Cove Chalet for Sunday lunch/brunch. The out door tables are surrounded by a grape arbour and you are looking over the water, very romantic, very exquisite classic French fare.
When you are done, sneak across the street to the award winning winery, Chalet Estate and do a
tasting flight of their whites. Their Ortega is excellent.

Sooke Harbour House is world renowned and your experience there will undoubtedly be world class. There is a small new place just around the corner from them that is worthy of a visit. Markus' Wharfside has about 15 tables and serves the local fare, fish, organic meats, solid wine list and fab desserts. Their Tuscan fish stew is awesome, but anything there is worth and they will be open for lunch on the deck at the time of year you are visiting.

Down the street from them is the Little Vienna Bakery, where you have to devour the most incredible desserts this side of Austria - try the apple struedel and the double chocolate croissant.

Back in Victoria, Wild Fire Bakery is home to levain breads baked in a wood fired oven. So what, you might say? Well, the young baker, Cliff Leier has installed a grain silo on the premises and is grinding heritage Canadian Red Fife Wheat on the premises. This wheat is now being protected by the Canadian chapter of Slow Food. You simply must try it.

So you might be thirsty by now. Perhaps you would like to try some of our brew pubs. You are going to be busy. First there is Canoe, then Spinnakers and then the Irish Times - try to get the confession booth.

This should keep you busy, but if you need more information, all these places can be viewed on the internet, most have websites and if you need even more information than that, don't hesitate to ask, I can furnish you with more tips, cause you haven't been to the Cowichan Valley and Fairburn Farm to visit the water buffalo or to Merridale Cidery, the apples will be ready and you haven't yet been all the way to Tofino for views of our wild coast and even more wild food offered there.

And you won't even miss the tea and crumpets.

have fun on your journey,
Shelora
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#42 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

Welcome, shelora. Funny you should mention the Island, as that's where I'm originally from. I remember Tofino's developing food culture, but I'm several years out of date now.

Unfortunately I won't get across the Strait on my next visit, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing about developments over your way. :rolleyes:
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#43 plunk

plunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:34 AM

Daisy, for Chinese seafood or dim sum, I would go to Sun Sui Wah or the Kirin in the City Square mall.

Definitely don't miss West, they're open for lunch too if you're running short on available dinner time slots.

I would also second the Lumiere Bar recommendation, I enjoy eating at Feenies as well but the bar has a nicer and more relaxed atmosphere.

I would pass on Bis Moreno and go for Vij's instead. Vikram Vij has also opened a casual restaurant right next door called Ranjoli, really good lunches and take out.

Senses Bakery in the Hotel Vancouver if you have a sweet tooth.

Shiro on Cambie if you like Japanese.

Let me know if you need any contact information or addresses.

Shelora, I go to the island several times a year. We're not all mainland bound :lol: Love Zambris, still have yet to try Cafe Brio or Sooke Harbour House, Wasn't crazy about Wildfire but I think I went on a non-baking day and that was before the silo. What bread would you recommend?

#44 wizard

wizard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

Plunk:

I am surprised that you have not managed to get to Brio on your trips thus far to Victoria. We have yet to be disappointed and Shelora is right with regard to her positive reviews of Greg and his staff when it comes to wine and service. We had a bottle of Kettle Valley red last trip which was delicious and Greg was quick to reply when we emailed to confirm the label, Rock Oven red I think.

Still, our favourite remains Brasserie l'Ecole. Good solid affordable fare. The waiter laughed the last time when we commented that Chef Brennan's duck confit was better than the one we had had the nite before at Brio. He used to work out of the kitchen at Brio.

Mark and Marnie are great folks. It is always a pleasure to dine there especially given Mark's carefully selected wine list and European and Quebec specialty beers and their attitude toward serving all wines [except the bubblies] by the glass [ie. if you order two glasses of any wine they will open a bottle and divide the price by 5 so that usually means many bottles have previously been opened so often you need not agree on 2 and can gave have mulitple glasses with multiple courses and their delicious cheese]

During our recent cold spell out here in Alberta I longed for another dish of the grilled polenta topped with duck ragu with green olives that we had at Zambri's in October.

Well only 8 more months until our trip to Tofino [smile]...will you get over before then?

#45 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:38 PM

" Wasn't crazy about Wildfire but I think I went on a non-baking day and that was before the silo. What bread would you recommend? "

Try their red fife bread, the white spelt and the boerenkaas cheese and garlic - not necessarily in that order. Pastries, give the pain au chocolat a whirl and wheatless fruit tarts.

The counter service can be a bit slow, they must try and work on that.

S
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair