Photo

Can you successfully freeze smoked salmon?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

I over-bought and hate to waste it. I'm guessing the quick answer is yes, but what I really want to know is can you freeze it without degrading the taste/texture? Anyone tried it?

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the "wet" smoked salmon AKA lox and not the drier shelf-stable vacuum-packed stuff.

Thanks!
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#2 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yes, you can. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then put it in a zipper-lock plastic bag and freeze it. It is very easily defrosted, either in the refrigerator, overnight, or on the counter, in about an hour or so. I find it loses nothing of its flavor or texture.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

Be sure to wrap the salmon in serving size packages to avoid de-frosting and re-freezing. I overwrap the plastic with aluminum foil, and make sure to press out all of the air before putting it in the zip-lock bag and then pressing the air out of the zip-lock bag before sealing it.

#4 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

Thank you both!! :blink:
Deb

#5 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Also a whole side of smoked salmon (so half a fish) freezes very well in a single piece.

#6 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

The drawback there is not being able to defrost smaller chunks as needed. When I used to fish, I'd often get salmon smoked. The smokehouse would cut the fish into 1 lb chunks and vacuum seal it. I've kept it for years that way with no appreciable loss of quality.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#7 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks, balex and thanks, GrantK! I'm so glad you mentioned vacuum sealing. I'll wrap small portions in plastic wrap and then vacuum seal the packets. I'd guess that should do the trick!
Deb

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but while frozen and defrosted smoked salmon is perfectly acceptable; I do find a noticible degradation in texture and the longer it's held frozen the greater the degradatiobn.

I *do* freeze smoked salmon all of the time, but as a rule, in my kitchen, smoked salmon that has been frozen is defrosted only for use as LEO mis en place.

I just think that the bunch of salmon mavens I deal with daily can tell the difference. Or rather, the way I look at it; if *I* can tell the difference than many others will be able to also.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

Nick, it's true that I use the defrosted salmon for LEO. I was going to try some on a bagel this morning to see if I agreed/disagreed with you, but I was too full from last night's dinner.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#10 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hmmmm...maybe we'll just eat a lot of salmon for the next couple of days. :blink:
Deb

#11 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

It's my understanding most commercial lox sold has been frozen at some at point to kill parasites. So freezing left overs is actually re-freezing it.

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

I don't think that's true. Lox is brine-cured and cold-smoked, there is no freezing involved.

At least not at Acme, which is one of the largest suppliers of lox on the east coast.

Also, freezing raw fish and then defrosting before using it is different than freezing fish after it has been cured and smoked, I would think.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#13 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

It could be a difference between East coast practice and West coast practice. The curing process does not kill parasites. Only freezing does. And many salmon, especially wild Alaskan Pacific salmon carry parasites. That is why wild salmon sushi is also frozen before served raw.

#14 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

Freezing and defrosting always causes some degradation. Except for octopus.

#15 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,487 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

It's my understanding most commercial lox sold has been frozen at some at point to kill parasites. So freezing left overs is actually re-freezing it.

Salmon for sushi is frozen for that reason, since nothing else in the processing will take care of that. Eiji Takase (Taka) first coated it with salt, then froze it. Not sure about lox/Nova, though.

ETA: Oh. I see you already said that. :blink:

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table