50 replies to this topic

#46 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

On the recommendation of a friend here, we took a Chinatown Food and Culture Tour last night (Walking): just the three of us - me, my husband and my Thai sister in law. We had 11 food stops. We ate: a highly peppered soup containing tongue, pork belly and chewy rice noodles. Sweet water prawns the size of my fist, two traditional steamed buns, one with minced pork, once with bbq pork, and made with only rice flour. A very bitter medicinal drink that has been brewed and sold in the same spot for 100 years, a hot, sweet ginger soup with "mochi" style rice balls containing sesame seed paste, durian, sweet corn icecream, bbq duck cheek 'n crispy beak, and assorted dim sum. Great young guide, knew her food and was very pleasant to hang out with for three hours. I've uploaded lots of photos to my facebook page.

Have also had a fairly decent seafood lunch. I think we're driving to the coast on Sunday to eat the real thing.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#47 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I know one doesn't think of having Indian food in BKK (unless one actually knows something about Thailand and its history), but BKK has some excellent Indian restaurants. If you happen to be in the area (it's near Nana Stn), Dosa King is my favourite, for their dosa and malai kofta. And you can visit my uncle's almost-hotel that's shaped like a ship.

#48 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I know one doesn't think of having Indian food in BKK (unless one actually knows something about Thailand and its history), but BKK has some excellent Indian restaurants. If you happen to be in the area (it's near Nana Stn), Dosa King is my favourite, for their dosa and malai kofta. And you can visit my uncle's almost-hotel that's shaped like a ship.

One place I didn't get to in BKK on my last visit was called Gaggan -- it came highly recommended. Sort of modern Indian I think.

#49 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,234 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

NY Times has an article entitled River of Kings, in which the writer re-visits the sojourns of Somerset Maugham and Noel Coward in the ante-bellum days.  The Venice of the East.

To me, the river also made Bangkok seem manageable. Over years of travel in Asia, I had somehow failed to venture outside its airport, in part because I was daunted by the prospect of navigating a megalopolis of over 8.5 million people that can seem like an alternate set from “Blade Runner.” But the idea of exploring by water made Bangkok more human-scale. I decided to spend my time entirely on the river to reimagine its golden age.

My inspiration would be less the jaundiced Maugham than Jozef Konrad Korzeniowski, a Polish sailor soon to be renowned as the author Joseph Conrad, who found himself in 1888 frequenting the Oriental Hotel saloon for a little over two weeks, chatting with the barflies, as was his wont, “of wrecks, of short rations, and of heroism.”

Conrad had taken over command of an Australian ship, the Otago, but was stuck in Bangkok waiting for his crew to recover from tropical illnesses — an experience that is reworked in his novel “Lord Jim” and the shorter works “The Shadow-Line,” “Falk” and “The Secret Sharer.”

http://www.nytimes.c...ctionfront&_r=0

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#50 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

My mother went to bkk for a weekend and had Peking duck. The best Peking duck I've ever had was in bkk; they still carve old style where not a sliver of fat remains in the skin. People don't believe me when I tell them that's how Peking duck should be served, but that's how I remember it from my childhood. Anyway, she sent me a video. The carver has some pretty good knife skills. I wanted to share it with y'all, but have no idea how. It's a Quick time video which complicates things for me...

My point is, if you are in bkk, try to have Peking duck at least once. I know all that cheap delicious Thai food is tempting, but if you're a Peking duck fan, is worth the sacrifice of skipping Thai.

#51 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

If you have quicktime or some sort of converter, you might be able to watch it assuming I uploaded it correctly

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk