5 replies to this topic

#1 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:44 AM

Anyone know if they can be bought? Are they in season still?
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#2 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

I'd check with the fruit and veg guys at Chelsea Market. Ask for Lou.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,519 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

But ask for Elberta peaches; otherwise they'll think you want Canadian imports.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:58 AM

Elbertas were the cling peach of my childhood. My mother bought them by the lug for canning. They had tight skins and unforgiving pits, but the meat was firm, as opposed to Freestones )many varieties) which skinned easily, gave up their pits and turned to mush when canned. As I remember it...

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:35 AM

What I remember is Haagen Dazs Elberta Peach Ice Cream, of not too many years ago. The absolute best.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:16 AM

As a kid, what I remember most were canned peaches...DelMonte or S&W. IIRC, Elberta, which I always referred to as the stringy peaches were the more expensive ones. The others were just cling peaches. They were firmer and a little slimy. Most canned peaches that I remember, sucked. Canned vegetables and canned fruit in the supermarket, then and now, are a disgrace to nature IMO.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY