#16 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Liza and Mikhail du er en fantastik cowboy

Ahh, you have stolen my heart and given me goosebumps. And with Danish subtitles no less. Ineffable. Thanks for sharing. Someone should start a thread on Danish table manners - - the most superbly refined civilization on this planet. And God himself gave them their flag.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#17 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Someone needs to pick on me for always changing the subject tangentially . . .
I didn't say "Great fun, boys and girls, thanks for sharing some of the best things freely." So there. And we started the day with "Is Print Dead?" and evolve to masterclips of Baryshnikov in his prime. Breathe deeply.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#18 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

Fat dude cooking beans.
Be kind. This was a first attempt at an instructional video. I was way too chatty and making beans too confusing so this was edited from 40 minutes down to 8 and it could still be tighter. The point is to make bean making appear easy.
Our own grantk was the cameraman!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#19 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

Need I even mention how great the soundtrack is? And those closeups of beans cooking in between your scenes...it's like the beans are dancing to the music.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#20 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:00 AM

I just got "notes" from my producer, grantk. And he's right about everything! I hate that. There's still more work to do but I have to live on the Annoyances thread for 2 days and won't be able to play with it until next week.

Edited to add: I don't know why but I love the editing process the best. It's a large confusing puzzle and you have to constantly remember many things. I'm using Sony's Vegas 7. I just got it 2 days ago so I still have a lot to learn.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

is that steven shaw? i watched about 20 seconds. nothing looked yummo and so i turned it off. why spend all that time on beans when you can just open a can?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#22 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:05 AM

is that steven shaw?

:P
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#23 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:12 AM

Deleted. If you can't say anything nice.....

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:12 AM

part 2.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#25 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:11 AM

Rancho is dreamy! And I love the money shots of the beans simmering away.

Soundtrack is great.
Future Legacy Participant.

#26 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,908 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:36 AM

Sound quality is less than ideal but I love the music. You should have a cooking show.

And then there is this guy: link :P
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#27 FaustianBargain

FaustianBargain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:44 AM

Fat dude cooking beans.
Be kind. This was a first attempt at an instructional video. I was way too chatty and making beans too confusing so this was edited from 40 minutes down to 8 and it could still be tighter. The point is to make bean making appear easy.

nifty. i cannot see beyond 3.21 minutes. is it just me?

p.s.i think you'll get more kudos if you have some nigella lawson-style action going on there.

eta/p.p.s. refreshing. assuming you havent addressed it already...i suppose no soaking is required while using one of them slow cooker/crock-pot thingy.
i am not a cancer, i am a sagittarius.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#28 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:14 AM

man, i need a headache

#29 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

Fat dude cooking beans.

“Food, drink, and lodging all in one bowl...” And now I'm wiping coffee spray off my monitor. Love it, Steve.

#30 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

nifty. i cannot see beyond 3.21 minutes. is it just me?

Too bad. You missed the dance number.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China