85 replies to this topic

#31 FaustianBargain

FaustianBargain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

FB, people can honor or have respect for animals that die for our food and still desire and enjoy Fois Gras. I cannot speculate on the 100 people at Trotters, other than to say some of them probaby do and some don't. It's a personal thing. But I think more people should honor the animals that die for them, and of course I have posted lots here and elsewhere on my beliefs about more humane slaughtering of animals. That would be a step to honor them better. Some of course believe that no slaughtering or raising animals for food can be humane. It's another topic altogether.

i cannot disagree with you here, leslie.

but respect and honour can be silent, you know. empty vessels make more noise and all that. i am just saying that when one trumpets one's professed respect loudly and crudely, it makes me all wary of the self congratulatary tone..you know?
i am not a cancer, i am a sagittarius.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#32 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

but respect and honour can be silent, you know. empty vessels make more noise and all that. i am just saying that when one trumpets one's professed respect loudly and crudely, it makes me all wary of the self congratulatary tone..you know?

So we can educate with telepathy? Brilliant!

#33 FaustianBargain

FaustianBargain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

So we can educate with telepathy? Brilliant!

well..obviously the choice of education seems to be bashing vegetarians and all those who dont subscribe to the bourdain club.
i am not a cancer, i am a sagittarius.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#34 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

now children... do I have to stop this car??
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#35 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

now children... do I have to stop this car??

He started it! :lol:

#36 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but the whole discussion reminds me of this t-shirt I saw the other day. The caption was,

Vegetarian: an old Native American word meaning 'bad fisherman'. :lol:

Yes, it's fun making fun of vegetarians and vegans, know why? Because as a group (and I am lumping an entire group together, here), they are so intolerably sanctimonious, self-righteous and deluded. Eat (or don't eat) whatever the fuck you want, I don't care, just shut up about it already.

The respect extended to animals raised for food should include making their lives reasonably pleasant, their deaths quick and painless and not using them wastefully. Beyond that, we're humans and they're not and there's not one shred of anthropological or evolutionary evidence that we weren't intended to eat meat.

While we're pointing out logical inconsitencies, railing against Bourdain and the American food culture simultaneously is a non-sequitur. If all Americans had anything like Bourdain's openess to the full universe of foods and his understanding and appreciation for the full chain of food production and consumption, this would be a better place.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#37 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but the whole discussion reminds me of this t-shirt I saw the other day. The caption was,

Vegetarian: an old Native American word meaning 'bad fisherman'. :lol:

Yes, it's fun making fun of vegetarians and vegans, know why? Because as a group (and I am lumping an entire group together, here), they are so intolerably sanctimonious, self-righteous and deluded. Eat (or don't eat) whatever the fuck you want, I don't care, just shut up about it already.

The respect extended to animals raised for food should include making their lives reasonably pleasant, their deaths quick and painless and not using them wastefully. Beyond that, we're humans and they're not and there's not one shred of anthropological or evolutionary evidence that we weren't intended to eat meat.

While we're pointing out logical inconsitencies, railing against Bourdain and the American food culture simultaneously is a non-sequitur. If all Americans had anything like Bourdain's openess to the full universe of foods and his understanding and appreciation for the full chain of food production and consumption, this would be a better place.

Thanks, Tighe.

When it comes right down to it, I aspire to eat less meat, thereby consuming fewer energy calories (among other reasons), but if I am going to eat meat, I want it to be clean and healthy.

And now to go polish off the carnitas that my chef-butcher friend gave me this weekend. :lol:

#38 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

Well, I don't agree with the comments about Bourdain, who is just being funny. But I don't agree with this either. And I don't endorse vegetarians and vegans being told to shut up.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#39 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

Most of us DO shut up about it -- that's why you might not even know that that we're around.

I'm a vegetarian, and I like Bourdain just fine. I don't have to agree with every single thing that someone says or does to like them, or find them entertaining, or learn something from them. He's got a great sense of humor, knows how to have a good time, likes his liquor and genuinely enjoys food and people from different cultures that love food, too.

I don't really care that he makes a joke or two about vegetarians, I take it as a good natured ribbing (and something vegetarians have to learn to deal with all of the time). It's just a bloody television show! On the Travel Channel! I'm a little more concerned about assholes on CNN than I am about a chef travelling the world eating offal.

#40 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Nobody should equate Anthony Bourdain with a country: he is a NEW YORKER to the death.

Hey, I caught you sticking that in :lol: . (btw: we arent a country? :lol: )

This space available… contact owner.

#41 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

But I don't agree with this either. And I don't endorse vegetarians and vegans being told to shut up.

Yes, but I was using 'shut-up' in a very generic way and can't imagine why anyone would assume that I was suggesting that vegetarians should go through life without uttering a single word.

#42 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

Just found these in a book called The Quotable Cook.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals. I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." — A. Whitney Brown

And Fran Lebowitz: "My favorite animal is steak."

I'm sorry, but I think those are funny.

#43 hhlodesign

hhlodesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

For the record, I have no problem with vegetarians. I have a problem with people like FB who condemn everyone who does not believe as they do. The assumption that people who have opposing viewpoints must be uneducated is the most inane comment I've heard.

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

But I don't agree with this either. And I don't endorse vegetarians and vegans being told to shut up.

Yes, but I was using 'shut-up' in a very generic way and can't imagine why anyone would assume that I was suggesting that vegetarians should go through life without uttering a single word.

No, I know you didn't mean that. I just don't want vegetarians or vegans to feel they can't discuss their dietary choices freely.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#45 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

No, I know you didn't mean that. I just don't want vegetarians or vegans to feel they can't discuss their dietary choices freely.

Discussing one's dietary choices and why they're the best option for oneself is one thing, discussing why one's choice is superior to all others and the moral bankruptcy of other choices is another.