950 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:39 AM

she's very good on "lucky louie" as well.

I really liked that show. It was really funny - I was disappointed they didn't pick it up for another season.

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 rlm

rlm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:52 AM

she's very good on "lucky louie" as well.

I really liked that show. It was really funny - I was disappointed they didn't pick it up for another season.

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Damn squared. I didn't know until I read this that it hadn't been renewed either. The "Kim's O" episode was outrageously funny.
“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

“When someone drives up to the farm in a BMW and asks me why our eggs cost more…well, first I try not to get mad…I take him outside and point at his car. ‘Sir, you clearly understand quality and are willing to pay for it. Well, food is no different: You get what you pay for.’”—Farmer Joel Salatin quoted in Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”

"It's so sensual, isn't it? And you don't need any nerdy stuff to really appreciate great Burgundy. It just washes over you."--Jancis Robinson on Grape Radio, 11/07

#18 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Ray Winstone's been on television and I have missed it??? Well obviously I blame the promo department of BBC America. :)

Ah, another member of the Ray Winstone fan club. :angry: One of my sisters is also an admirer. I thought Vincent was pretty damn good, although some of the situations were a bit implausible.

I guess I don't watch enough TV either because I am hard-pressed to come up with three. The Wire, yes, and I do try to catch the various permutations and spin-offs of Footballers Wives.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#19 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

Bones on Fox and not just because Emily Deschanel is almost as hot as her younger sister. I like the forensic stuff. It's not great by any means, but it soaks up the time.

Cold Case and Without a Trace. I just caught up with WAT which is having a good season so far. I've only watched a couple of CC episodes so far. I like the show, but the hate on it has for men, usually white men, sometimes gets in the way of the drama. Both shows have almost identical story structures, if you're into that sort of thing. The current investigation is intercut with flashbacks based on witness testimony (the witnesses never seem to lie though which seems surprising).

The NHL on Versus. What a dumb name for a channel and their production sucks, but what are you going to do if you like hockey?

I have The Nine on my dv-r but haven't watched it yet. Haven't heard anything about it either once the initial promotional blitz ended.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#20 faijay465

faijay465

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

I guess some people are watching because it is in its second year--I like Kyra Sedgewick in The Closer. She is quirky and smart and flawed, just my kind of person.

I like Men in Trees and hope it sticks around; it should since they slotted it after Greys Anatomy (which jumps the shark about every other scene). I think Anne Heche is delightful and McTree a real hunk (Abraham Benrubi). I also love the woman playing Marin"s agent and her boyfriend, plow boy.

No number three comes to mind.

#21 faijay465

faijay465

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

[i
The NHL on Versus. What a dumb name for a channel and their production sucks, but what are you going to do if you like hockey?

Get a cable company or better yet a satellite dish and aim towards British Columbia. Up here in the Great North Strong and Free, you can find a hockey game almost every night, as well as loads of talking about our game. :angry: or :) depending.

#22 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:19 AM

[i

Get a cable company or better yet a satellite dish and aim towards British Columbia. Up here in the Great North Strong and Free, you can find a hockey game almost every night, as well as loads of talking about our game. :angry: or :) depending.

Or move to the NY metropolitan area with three local teams to choose from. Of course, the newspaper coverage is lousy, but that's what the internets is for. :)
Future Legacy Participant.

#23 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:22 AM

I was often amused by Lucky Louie but did not think it was particularly strong.
"I mispoke."

#24 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Last night's episode of Frontline. (I <_< PBS.) The first of a two-parter on journalism and the use of anonymous sources, through the prism of Plame-gate. Very enlightening and informative, as Frontline often is.

You can watch the episode here.

#25 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

I have The Nine on my dv-r but haven't watched it yet. Haven't heard anything about it either once the initial promotional blitz ended.

I thought it was a snore. I quit after 4 or 5 episodes.

The Office (American version) is my favorite show right now, and I rarely ever watch or like sitcoms. I always watch Ugly Betty and Lost. Getting really tired of Lost, though.

#26 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

The Wire

oh shit, I just realized I am not watching enough TV. I can't even name 2 other shows.

I just finished the first disc, first season of The Wire (first 3 episodes) based on your recommendation.
I'm hooked.
I have all the other discs in my queue and I suspect I will be spending the rest of the year watching seasons 1-3.

#27 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show.
When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the field for tension-filled weekly game. Instead, it has turned into a character-driven drama with dead-on authentic casting, excellent production and genuine depth of feeling (without being mawkish). This show exposes every gimmick-driven drama (Lost, Heroes, 24) and fusty crime/medical show (CSI, House) as ridiculous unrealistic Hollywood creations. The last 3 FNL episodes haven't even shown any action on the field, instead focussing on the dilemmas of the well-drawn out ensemble characters. Even the supporting roles (Buddy Gerritson, the rehab roommate, Tim Riggins's brother, etc) are crisp and vivid.
Please watch this show before it gets cancelled.

I really love this show, too. It's one of my two current very favorites (the other being Battlestar Galactica). I watch it with dread, though. Afraid that it won't get picked up.

The Voice of America

#28 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show.
When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the field for tension-filled weekly game. Instead, it has turned into a character-driven drama with dead-on authentic casting, excellent production and genuine depth of feeling (without being mawkish). This show exposes every gimmick-driven drama (Lost, Heroes, 24) and fusty crime/medical show (CSI, House) as ridiculous unrealistic Hollywood creations. The last 3 FNL episodes haven't even shown any action on the field, instead focussing on the dilemmas of the well-drawn out ensemble characters. Even the supporting roles (Buddy Gerritson, the rehab roommate, Tim Riggins's brother, etc) are crisp and vivid.

I really love this show, too. It's one of my two current very favorites (the other being Battlestar Galactica). I watch it with dread, though. Afraid that it won't get picked up.

If it's good, it's gone.

#29 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

1. Friday Night Lights.

If it's good, it's gone.

Yeah, reports are not looking good. Recent EW article about low ratings and trying to save the show.

#30 Guest_24k_*

Guest_24k_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

You are making me wish I had a TV -- I miss Frontline. And some of these others sound interesting!