955 replies to this topic

#31 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

You are making me wish I had a TV -- I miss Frontline. And some of these others sound interesting!

Me too! I gave up TV about 18 months ago and miss PBS and TMC more than anything. PBS-wise, I loved American Experience and Masterpiece Theater.

#32 Shrike

Shrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:11 AM

3. Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman. This show has no chance. Too inside Hollywood, too cynical, too raunchy and dark. But the writing is fierce. Laura Kightlinger should be a bigger star and would be if she were a man. But all those nasty things coming out of woman's mouth will keep her on the fringe. And who the fuck watches the IFC channel? Nobody but losers and film geeks. (Sadly, I'm not a film geek).

Thanks for reminding me about this one. I watched the first several episodes of this and thought it was very funny. Laura Kightlinger is great.

Laura is an old student of mine and I'm glad she is on this show after a dismal season on SNL several years ago.
March 21, 2010 NYC Half Marathon
April 25, 2010 Big Sur Marathon
Montauk Century May, 16 2010
Sept. 26, 2010 Berlin Marathon

#33 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Laura is an old student of mine and I'm glad she is on this show after a dismal season on SNL several years ago.

How did she weather the break-up with Jack Black? Is there a good story behind that?

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

You are making me wish I had a TV -- I miss Frontline. And some of these others sound interesting!

Frontline episodes are typically available for a short time online. I think.

POV and Independent Lens are also quite good.

I don't have cable and Twin Cities Public Television is very strong so it is my source for decent television.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#35 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:53 AM

So I've been watching Frontline's series on journalism for the last 3 weeks and tonight's was the most riveting so far. Topic: The Changing Business of Journalism. How the internet and bloggers are changing network and print journalism, both editorially and financially.

If you have even a remote interest in how the public gets its news, this episode is a must-watch. The last half hour chronicles the recent developments of the LA Times and it's as dramatic a story as any movie. I read the LATimes daily, so I was already aware of the story, but Frontline lays out the entire arc of the story as well as the behind the scenes dynamics. The message, that serious news delivered to the public is being drastically compromised, is an alarming one.

You can watch the episode online: "What's Happening to the News?"

Can't wait until the next installment, which will document Al-Jazeera and coverage of the Middle East.

(BTW: I :) Ted Koppel. A true professional. I miss watching him on Nightline every night.)

#36 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

Ladettes to Lady on the Sundance channel. It's not a favorite show, don't if I'll even remember to watch another episode. I saw 2 or 3 the other night.

Sundance

We are recruiting both repentant � and unrepentant � ladettes to enroll on the course. Do you get so drunk you can't remember what happened the night before � and couldn't care less anyway?

Do you ever feel ashamed by your accent or your inability to hold your own at posh events? Are you better at pulling men than at keeping them? Are you a hardened tomboy who wishes men would treat you more like a lady?

Gone fishing for the summer.

#37 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

A two-part special on the CBC called The Great War. A reality show with a huge difference -- 150 ancestors of World War One soldiers reenact five major battles involving Canadian troops. Justin Trudeau plays a role (getting in some acting experience prior to entering politics). Beautifully done and extremely moving.
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#38 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

On the strength of Nathan Fillion (one of my top 5 hotties) and one of the creators being Tim Minear, who was involved in Firefly, I tuned in last night to the 2-hr premiere of Drive on Fox. It's another serialized show about a sinister illegal cross-country road race. The premise is really stupid. Still, there are some interesting actors -- Taryn Manning from Hustle and Flow, Dylan Baker -- and the camera shots are worth noting -- long swooping single takes. Of course, everyone has a backstory full of drama.

Unfortunately, the first two hours didn't grab me. Of course, I'll watch Nathan Fillion reading the phone book, so I paid attention when he was on screen, but unless this series has something more to show I'm already tuning out. Too bad, as I loved Firefly and would have loved seeing something in that vein again.

#39 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

I missed the I Love New York reunion show on VH1 last night. Was it particularly good? The finale was kind if a bust. Did she end up with Tango? Was Onyx (be still my heart) there?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#40 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Oh, shoot, I missed it, too. I hope those kids can make it work!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#41 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock (though it just got picked up for a second season), Veronica Mars.

I also think MTV's new sketch comedy show, Human Giant, is pretty funny. Sorta like Mr. Show but a bit more stoner-y.
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#42 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Oh, shoot, I missed it, too. I hope those kids can make it work!

I saw the repeat. Spoiler below.

It was totally fake but she and Tango were still engaged but when he saw the footage of NY "dissing" his mother and how she still had feelings for Chance, he stormed off the set while engaging a bleep-filled shouting match.
But oh that Onyx!
Also, Mr Boston and Pumpkin are now dating. All is right in this crazy world.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#43 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Maybe candlesticks? I mean, for the engagement gift.

I enjoyed the one episode I saw of "Thank God You're Here," the unauthorized bio of George Burns, no the improvised sketch comedy show.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#44 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

onix.

Posted Image

#45 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

I think I'm the only one watching the NHL playoffs considering both NBC and Versus have lost viewership since the regular season ended.
Future Legacy Participant.