730 replies to this topic

#721 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:05 AM

Because then you can hear the mono just like Brian heard it (except not really, because you'll hear it in two ears).

I don't want to get into a fight with Steve, but I hate "headphone music". It's like concentrating on the trees and ignoring the forest.

(This is why I usually sit in the top balcony in Carnegie Hall. I want the blend.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#722 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

There was a time when I thoroughly enjoyed using headphones; and my memory seems to tell me that other mind-altering things were going on.

#723 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

No fight. I don't use headphones almost ever. But you hit the nail on the head. Smiley Smile was probably the last great album released (mainly) in mono (although I have a stereo version from the original pressing). Sunflower was an experiment in using Brian's newfound mixing equipment & multiple track recording interests & I think it works better than Pet Sounds in this regard. To a certain extent, "use headphones" was a euphemism for "be stoned" (& wear headphones).

eta: the other 3 albums released between Pet Sounds & Sunflower (Friends, 20/20 & Wild Honey) are also good for tracing Brian developing his producing technique although, in my opinion, the music contained therein was just ok (with a couple of exceptions - Wild Honey has a version of "I Was Made to Love Her" that captures their fleeting R&B interest.) 

This space available… contact owner.

#724 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

I love all of Wild Honey (the world cares to know). I am so with you on Sunflower.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#725 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Louis CK 2017 on Netflix.

Take a wild guess if this is funny or not.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#726 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

You should also see the recent Hollywood movie about Brian Wilson. Very well done. And, if you like Pet Sounds, check out Smiley Smile & Sunflower. Wear headphones.

Thanks Steve. I have to catch Love & Mercy if it ever comes on cable. I recognize a few songs on the Smiley Smile album (Good Vibrations, Heroes & Villains). You definitely have to be under the influence of something to appreciate the rest of the album :cool:

#727 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,723 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

I enjoy watching Stanley Tucci as Jack Warner in "Feud."  Fun stuff.

Then that happened.

#728 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Watched Lion. I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little shallow. That could have been because I couldn't hear the dialogue very well, though (was on a plane).

#729 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Anne, the newest series based on Anne of Green Gables. It sometimes differs wildly from the books, but once I got over feeling affronted by the changes, I began to enjoy it. It is in many ways superior to any previous iteration, even the Megan Follows one.

So if you watch it (available on US Netflix beginning in May, I think), watch it with an open mind. It's different, but not at all bad.

(And a Tragically Hip song is used for the opening credits. If you're familiar with The Hip, that should provide a hint as to how different the series must be)

#730 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

Feud is definitely a guilty pleasure.
American Crime is an amazing series, with excellent acting, addressing some damned depressing stuff. This season is about exploitation, in its different forms, and the horrible thing is that none of it feels exaggerated.

#731 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,723 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lachs is an Oprah production that reveals the gathering of tissue samples for medical research in a dubious moral vacuum.  Not bad.  Once again producer Oprah cannot resist putting actor Oprah in the picture.  This time she does cane work.

Then that happened.