762 replies to this topic

#751 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Oh Jesus. I haven't gotten to that episode, but I'll be sure to ff.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#752 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,942 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Not watching, but listening to on the radio: BBC 3 segment of "Free Thinking" on food. Other than the opening bit with the interviewer trying to make Thousand Island dressing, which is cringe-worthy, I'm finding it quite interesting.

The installment of "The Essay,"  about fasting, is likewise quite interesting

I apologize to those who already know this. -- Lex, 9 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#753 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:04 AM

"The Defiant Ones."  I've watched the first 2 of 4 parts of this HBO series about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine.  It's informative.  It's engrossing.  At the same time, it seems a bit like an infomercial for these two.  I think Dre comes off somewhat better, warts and all.  As a side note, I am a pretty big Springsteen fan, but the more I see him (and Landau) on screen the more they seem like outsized egomaniacs.  Maybe just let your music speak for itself.  Yeah, do that.

Then that happened.

#754 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 AM

Insecure.  Watched about 3 episodes of this HBO sitcom about young black women in LA working on their careers and looking for love.  Since it's HBO, there are male butts for the women and female breasts for the men.  There are echoes of the 2000 sitcom Girlfriends.  There is a certain pattern to the episodes but it's interesting to see young talent trying to make its mark.

Then that happened.

#755 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

I just finished the first season of Insecure a few days ago. The series got stronger as the season progressed; the last two episodes are pretty wrenching. It's interesting to see how roughly the friends treat one another without "breaking up," and how deeply flawed they're allowed to be while still remaining sympathetic. That's unusual for a comedy.

#756 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:24 PM

There are definite soap opera elements to this comedy.  Can black girl magic save the day?

Then that happened.

#757 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by soap opera elements. Insecure is serialized, so in that sense it's like a soap opera, and unlike sitcoms that consist only of stand-alone episodes, which are a dying breed anyway. Or a dead breed - I can't think of a single sitcom currently in production that has no multi-episode narrative arcs.

#758 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Maybe I stated it poorly.  Just referring to the drama of the ups and downs of relationships, job discrimination, need for therapy, etc.  I think this writer captures some of the vibe of the show [spoiler alerts].  http://www.vulture.c...iere-recap.html  And one is left to consider future plot points in that Lawrence did not appear to use protection.

Then that happened.

#759 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted Today, 03:24 PM

we started watching or shall i say rewatching breaking bad.. I never realized how quickly things happened on that show.. The bad tub scene was episode one or two.. It's a great show.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#760 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted Today, 03:36 PM

we started watching or shall i say rewatching breaking bad.. I never realized how quickly things happened on that show.. The bad tub scene was episode one or two.. It's a great show.. 

You should also watch Better call Saul (if you haven't already been watching it). It's not quite as good as Breaking Bad, but excellent in it's own way. It's nice to get the backstory on some of the BB characters to show how they turned out like they did on BB.

#761 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Just referring to the drama of the ups and downs of relationships, job discrimination, need for therapy, etc.

Ah, I see. Soap opera problems. As opposed to the-capitol-building-blew-up-and-now-you're-the-president problems.

And one is left to consider future plot points in that Lawrence did not appear to use protection.

If that goes the most obvious route, or even the second most obvious route, I will be very displeased.

#762 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,874 posts

Posted Today, 04:36 PM

Maybe there's a third way?

Then that happened.

#763 small h

small h

Advanced Member