892 replies to this topic

#376 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

This came in email today. I don't think I'll be buying it for a while :blush: (I posted this in the Seattle avant-garde thread too).

Occasionally, a book will grab our attention and hold it and when that happens, we want you to be among the first to know. Molecular Gastronomy is such a book. Books that tell us the whys of cooking are almost as popular as the hows--witness the success of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking. In his first book published in English, renowned chemist and cookbook author Herve This delves into how we cook and how we think about the food we cook. In Molecular Gastronomy, he offers practical tips, provocative suggestions, and penetrating insights. This discusses the physiology of flavor and explores how the brain perceives tastes, how chewing affects food, and how the tongue reacts to various stimuli. Additionally, he also explains how to cook perfect French fries, how the shape of a wine glass affects the taste of wine, the right way to cook pasta, and more. Molecular Gastronomy will help you re-think your relationship to the food you cook, entertaining you as it helps you achieve even greater success in the kitchen. As always, enjoy Molecular Gastronomy, and all of our new releases, at unbeatable prices.

To tantalize you, here is an excerpt from the book, In Praise of Fat:
"It is a mistake to baste meat with the juices that drip into the roasting pan, by the way; these juices are mostly water, which softens the crispy surface (itself the consequence of the water inside the skin evaporating) and so produce exactly the opposite result of what one hopes to achieve by roasting. Here again fat is the cook's friend."

We are pleased to continue this special offer for Jessica's Biscuit/ecookbooks.com customers until February 15, 2006: If your order is over $50 (before shipping and/or tax), you will receive included in your order the choice of a one-year subscription to one of four magazines: Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Domino, or Conde Nast Traveler. For details, go to http://www.ecookbooks.com.

To search our complete library of over 11,000 titles, all at unbeatable prices, please visit us at http://www.ecookbooks.com. There you can also order a taste of what Yankee Magazine calls one of the best coffees in New England and become a member of the Biscuit Brand Coffee Club.

" Central heating, French rubber goods, and cookbooks are three amazing proofs of man's ingenuity in transforming necessity into art, and of these, cookbooks are perhaps most lastingly delightful. "
~~M.F.K. Fisher

--Pam

Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
by Herve This
http://www.ecookbook...html?item=08651

Jessica's Biscuit Price: $19.76
Retail Price: $29.77
You Save: 33%
Herv? This (pronounced ?Teess?) is an internationally renowned chemist, a popular French television personality, a best-selling cookbook author, a longtime collaborator with the famed French chef Pierre Gagnaire, and the only person to hold a doctorate in molecular gastronomy, a cutting-edge field he pioneered. Bringing the instruments and experimental techniques of the laboratory into the kitchen, This uses recent research in the chemistry, physics, and biology of food to challenge traditional ideas about cooking and eating. What he discovers will entertain, instruct, and intrigue cooks, gourmets, and scientists alike.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#377 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Oh, look... it's Bourdain! The Nasty Bits: Collected varietal cuts, useable trim, scraps, and bones

I thought it was going to be an offal cookbook, a la Fergus Henderson. Instead...

Bestselling chef and No Reservations host Anthony Bourdain has never been one to pull punches. In The Nasty Bits, he serves up a well-seasoned hellbroth of candid, often outrageous stories from his worldwide misadventures. Whether scrounging for eel in the backstreets of Hanoi, revealing what you didn't want to know about the more unglamorous aspects of making television, calling for the head of raw food activist Woody Harrelson, or confessing to lobster-killing guilt, Bourdain is as entertaining as ever. Bringing together the best of his previously uncollected nonfiction—and including new, never-before-published material—The Nasty Bits is a rude, funny, brutal and passionate stew for fans and the uninitiated alike.

Nice pseudonym, by the way.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#378 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

Oh, look... it's Bourdain! The Nasty Bits: Collected varietal cuts, useable trim, scraps, and bones

I thought it was going to be an offal cookbook, a la Fergus Henderson. Instead...

Bestselling chef and No Reservations host Anthony Bourdain has never been one to pull punches. In The Nasty Bits, he serves up a well-seasoned hellbroth of candid, often outrageous stories from his worldwide misadventures. Whether scrounging for eel in the backstreets of Hanoi, revealing what you didn't want to know about the more unglamorous aspects of making television, calling for the head of raw food activist Woody Harrelson, or confessing to lobster-killing guilt, Bourdain is as entertaining as ever. Bringing together the best of his previously uncollected nonfiction—and including new, never-before-published material—The Nasty Bits is a rude, funny, brutal and passionate stew for fans and the uninitiated alike.

Nice pseudonym, by the way.

by Breaulove Swells Whimsy

That's got to be lifted straight off of a spam with a fake name. You know?

#379 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

From an ABE book search i finally got Greg and Lucy Malouf's 'Moorish' and 'Arabesque'. The bookseller was in Florida but the books were in fact shipped from Australian where they are in print.

From Jessica's Biscuit, which is becoming my favorite source, I received Cooking With Too Hot Tamales ($10) and 'Spirit of the Earth, Native Cooking From Latin America' ($13). Tamales looks pretty typical but I find it hard to pass on any book about Mexican food unless it's so basic it's trite. Spirit looks great, despite the loopy title. It's divided into Maya, Aztec and Inca sections which right off the bat gets me excited, and it's dedicated to Sophie Coe who wrote "America's First Cuisines' and the chocolate book.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#380 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

Savoring Mexico by Tausend;
Modern Asian Flavors - A Taste of Shanghai by Richard Wong (the founder of Chinablue).

I'm not planning to get more cookbooks in a while - checked my 100 plus wishlist and don't see anything i absoluty need there.
In fact i'm thinking of paring down my cookbook library down to some 50 books.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#381 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

i was planning and thinking - well the road to hell is paved with good intentions and stuff...
so in the meantime added two books from Authentic Recipes from...Malaysia and Singapore, Periplus series.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#382 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

Just got a nice compilation - New Asian Cuisine - quite a lineup of names, and good recipes too.

#383 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Helena, dear, it's not a "problem", because you can quit at any time, right? Addiction!?!??!! Don't be silly.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#384 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:02 AM

Stand Facing the Stove (about Irma Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and the creation of Joy of Cooking) for $1 plus tax at Strand.

What was that about addiction? :unsure:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#385 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

I leafed and leafed through Conant's New Italian Cooking and finally decided it's good enough to have - any opposing views?

#386 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

Started to read Molecular Gastronomy: whatever the title is, the book actually seems very approachable, more so than McGee's On Food and Cooking.

#387 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

My father just gave me Curry by Lizzie Collingham. Looks like it will be a fun and interesting read.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#388 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

My father just gave me Curry by Lizzie Collingham. Looks like it will be a fun and interesting read.

Is it more stories than actual recipes?

#389 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

http://www.amazon.co...5Fencoding=UTF8
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#390 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:38 AM

That looks great. Added to Wish List!