47 replies to this topic

#16 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:14 PM

Ooooh. I'll be in Seattle in a couple of months and would love to know low and middle end as well.

First, some nitpicking.... :o

I object to characterizing Union as 'expensive'. In fact, their $48, 7-course dinner is one of the greatest dining values around. It's certainly possible to spend rack up a big tab there, but my average dinner there is less than at places like Harvest Vine or Lark.

Don't mind me, I was just barging in on the thread and stating my wants and desires. I certainly wasn't implying that Union is expensive.

Sorry, poor use of quoting and sequencing. I was actually responding to Leslie stating that Union was "Expensive".

er, well, I was thinking by Seattle standards, $48 for dinner is a little expensive, but it IS a great deal for the excellent high end quality and 7 courses! And compared to when I had their 7 course dinner for $25 during their March deal $48 is more expensive :P .

#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

Seattle crew fighting as usual. :P
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

Seattle crew fighting as usual.  :P

Yes, but fortunately this is about as rough as we *normally* get. Seattle could be PC capital of the world. :P

#19 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

Seattle crew fighting as usual. :P

It didn't used to be this way, but Leslie has gotten all uppity and combative as a side-effect of her ceaseless jousting on that other site....
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#20 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

The first time we were in Seattle, a few years ago, we went to a restaurant somewhere near Pike Place on our first night. Large, bustling, apparently very busy and we didn't have a reservation. When I asked if there was any chance of a table the Maitre d’ beamed “Of course, sir. That’ll be no problem.” I assumed he was taking the piss and nearly nutted him but later realized that everyone up there is that friendly. Sickening, really.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:00 PM

True. The downside is that all servers assume that no-one is in any hurry whatsoever about anything. :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:13 PM

Seattle crew fighting as usual.  :P

It didn't used to be this way, but Leslie has gotten all uppity and combative as a side-effect of her ceaseless jousting on that other site....

Leslie is a delight.

I think there's something in the Seattle mist that acts as a softening agent on the hard edges folks from elsewhere sometimes bring with them. The unexpected courtesies often catch me off-guard.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#23 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:50 PM

The first time we were in Seattle, a few years ago, we went to a restaurant somewhere near Pike Place on our first night. Large, bustling, apparently very busy and we didn't have a reservation. When I asked if there was any chance of a table the Maitre d? beamed ?Of course, sir. That?ll be no problem.? I assumed he was taking the piss and nearly nutted him but later realized that everyone up there is that friendly. Sickening, really.

Yes, but whatever you do G, don't mess with Seattleites in traffic . Seattle drivers advise woman to jump off bridge so traffic can resume, and she jumps :huh:. "Police spokesman Clem Benton told Reuters news agency: "Obviously when you have an individual in some type of crisis, yelling for her to jump is very insensitive to that person's life".

Thanks Rail Paul. :)

#24 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

My favorite story along the lines of remarkable Seattle behavior....

My sister and brother-in-law went out for dinner downtown and their car was stolen (despite being valet'ed). However it was returned to the exact same place two days later with a full tank of gas and no worse for wear....

#25 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

I'm about to book a hotel and am wondering what areas are good to stay in?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#26 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:40 PM

Me too. I've only stayed at the Four Seasons, which was great but at someone else's expense. I'll check to see if they have any deals, but alternative suggestions are welcomed.
Elect-a-lujah

#27 Priscilla

Priscilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

We have stayed at the Inn at the Market several times, lastly several years ago. What a nice small hotel -- and our child was a toddler at the time. The location is excellent.

The aforementioned Campagne overlooks the same courtyard as the hotel. Very good coffee place on the same tiny courtyard at that time.

In the big-hotel category, have also stayed at the Westin in Seattle a couple of times. I liked the rooms with the floor-to-ceiling windows and unobstructed Puget Sound views.

#28 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Inn at the Market too. Very pleasant.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#29 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:30 PM

Me too.  I've only stayed at the Four Seasons, which was great but at someone else's expense.  I'll check to see if they have any deals, but alternative suggestions are welcomed.

The Four Season has changed management and is now The Fairmont. I haven't heard a lot of positives since the change unfortunately.

If the Inn at the Market is in you price range, it's an ideal location and a nice facility.

Seattle is short on appealing "boutique" hotels, but the best of them is probably the Alexis.

Some people rip the place, but I have a soft spot for The Edgewater.

#30 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:32 PM

I'm going to throw out another option for places to stay in Seattle. Hotel Andra is in a newly renovated building downtown. I had a chance to look around it recently and it is very nice. It's also across the street from Tom Douglas's flagship restaurant Dahlia Lounge and Dahlia Bakery. His newest restaurant, Lola, is in the hotel itself and there are several other good restaurants within a stone's throw. The rates seem reasonable for the quality of the facility.

On the kid-friendly dining front...

In the hospital over the weekend (where I ended up with a very cute baby to take home) I read a local parenting magazine and saw an ad for the CHOW group of restaurants that seem to be actively courting the family diner. Of the places shown, the only one I've eaten at is Coastal Kitchen. They rotate their menu periodically to feature different coastal cuisines from around the world. I know this sounds like it would be disastrous, but they usually do quite a nice job.