#31 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

On the kid-friendly dining front...

In the hospital over the weekend (where I ended up with a very cute baby to take home)...

Yes, congrats to Tighe on his newborn! What did you decide on for his name?

Wilfrid, I had lunch a couple of Friday's ago at Rovers (Friday is the only day they serve lunch) and asked if it's ok to bring small children in for lunch (ie. this is considered to be one of Seattle's top fine dining destination restaurants). They said no problem for lunch, and he thought age 3 is about the right age when they can sit through an hour or 1 1/2 hour lunch there, which is how long ours took.

This is my cut and paste from my lunch at Rovers from the PNW forum on eG:

A week ago Friday we tried the Rover's Friday lunch. Wow! What a treat and a wonderful experience!... both food and service were exemplary.

We both went with the set 3 course lunch for $35, and made no substitutions. It began with a small plate of thinly sliced house cured cod (very yummy) with a small minced radishy salad in center. Very good, especially that cod. The main course was Moulard Duck breast, sliced, with a sauce including lots of morels, and a dollup of mashed potatoes to go with. The flavor was very good, although the duck a bit chewy (perhaps an indication that it was just a tiny tad overcooked?). Dessert was the Opera cake w/ Caramel sauce... excellent. In fact, I was wanting to lick each plate clean, as everything was so good. Their bread served was a sliced baguette from Essential bakery, served with Plugra butter... just great, and I asked for extra the bread to get every drop of sauce from the duck plate (saucing was ample).

The service (2 fellows) was both polished and extremely professional. I took a liking to them very much and conversed with them at various times throughout the meal. They sensed my interest in the food and total experience to the extent that when I started to return from the ladies room, (near the kitchen) one of them asked me if I would like to go into the kitchen? Wow! Talk about a treat! I was overwhelmed by the offer and could not resist taking him up on it and went behind the door with him into kitchen, very tidy, orderly, etc. where about 5 people were busy with various preparations.

To top it all off, at the end of the meal, while paying the bill, and filling out a card w/birthday and anniversary info on it... I commented to the waiters about the card I was filling out and informed them that it was my anniversary and asked if was too late to get something complementary for it being our anniversary? They looked at each other, gave us a smile, and happily brought us 2 glasses of complementary champagne to end our meal with! Totally delightful and I could not have been more happy about the entire experience. I don't think it hurts to tastefully ask something like that, the worst they can say is sorry, no, which would have been fine, but was a bonus that they said yes in this case. Another example, a friend of mine who went for a birthday dinner there last week, also filled the card out at end of meal, but didn't mention it was his birthday or ask about anything, and consequently didn't get anything. Perhaps it's at the whim of the waiter, too, whether they say yes or no? I don't know.

There were about 7 tables of diners during the time we were there (a very sunny day), and I asked if they will continue with the Friday lunches, and was told they will go at least through Fall, when the weather is cooler to see if business picks up during lunch.. as with the weather being so great, perhaps people are spending time outdoors eating casually instead of having formal lunches indoors. I only made my reservation that day, and had no problem getting in, and didn't need to give a CC to hold it the day of.

I also asked about dining with small children there for lunch, if that is ok, and was told during lunch it's fine to bring small children (he suggested 3+ as the age he felt they could sit through a lunch of 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours, which is how long our lunch took).

Thierry (chef) and wife were not there that day, they were in Napa wine tasting, and everything went great, even without their presence in the restaurant. I would highly recommend this place for a special lunch on Fridays.

#32 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:46 PM

If one's budget allows, the pricey Inn at the Market is the top choice for foodies, located in the Pike Place Market. I have also asked Tony Bourdain about his stay there and he gave it a big thumbs up.

Kiku stayed at 11th Ave. Inn B & B, up on Capital Hill, when he was in Seattle, perhaps you could ask him if he recommends it, I recall he did like it, and Jaymes will be arriving in Seattle tonight and will stay a few nights and I'm not sure where she is staying yet, but will ask her during her stay if she gives thumbs up to where she is staying and will report back if anything positive.

There are also a couple of threads on eG PNW forum regarding reasonably priced places to stay and the most recent thread (this week) had recommendations by members for:

Pension Nichols http://www.seattle-bed-breakfast.com/
Ace Hotel http://www.theacehotel.com/index.html
Chelsea Station http://www.bandbseattle.com/

#33 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

On the kid-friendly dining front...

In the hospital over the weekend (where I ended up with a very cute baby to take home)...

Yes, congrats to Tighe on his newborn!

Yes indeeed, congratulations.

Hopefully he enjoyed any recent full nights of sleep, as they will be quite rare for the next several months...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:35 PM

I am taking all this in appreciatively, and will start making some firm plans this week.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:35 PM

Seattle is short on appealing "boutique" hotels, but the best of them is probably the Alexis.

Alexis is very nice (very high ceilings, lots of wood trim in the rooms) but may be a bit remote for downtown shopping, the Public Market, etc.

#36 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:06 PM

I have fond memories of the Chicago-style hot dog I got at the hot dog stand in Pike's Place market - conveniently located near the doughnut maker, if my memory serves correctly.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:39 PM

Good, I have the Inn at the Market booked (although I keep wanting to call it the Inn on the Park) and have pretty much settled on Dahlia Lounge, Lark and Union for dinners, with lunch at that Matt's place, and maybe Salumi. Only wish I were staying longer.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

Good, I have the Inn at the Market booked (although I keep wanting to call it the Inn on the Park) and have pretty much settled on Dahlia Lounge, Lark and Union for dinners, with lunch at that Matt's place, and maybe Salumi. Only wish I were staying longer.

Excellent choices, all...
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#39 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:13 AM

eatpie was just in Seattle, ate salumi at "the place," loved it.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#40 Priscilla

Priscilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

Also, not yet mentioned but we found it useful, Emmett Watson's Oyster Bar ... tucked away in the market with a lovely little courtyard where our child could gambol with no worry of intruding on anyone. Excellent quiet charming pit stop for parents & toddler.

And, right there next door is the Soap Box, a personal-care shop with French botanicals ... the nice lady in the white lab coat put me onto a tiny tin of pure shea butter, when I was looking for something neutral for a baby's waterfront-wind-chapped lips, and we've depended upon it ever since. Another Soap Box discovery that became a staple is their Pre de Provence sage soap with scrubby bits of plant matter in there ... mmm.

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

Assume we are going to Lark, and that we plan to go early. It's a little over a mile from our hotel, and doesn't take reservations. I expect we'll be fine, but I don't want to end up at Burger King or have to drag everyone to a different neighborhood. My research suggests that the best alternative to Lark in walking distance, should the need arise, is 1200 Bistro & Lounge.

If I am hopelessly wrong, please let me know.
Elect-a-lujah

#42 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:44 AM

Assume we are going to Lark, and that we plan to go early. It's a little over a mile from our hotel, and doesn't take reservations. I expect we'll be fine, but I don't want to end up at Burger King or have to drag everyone to a different neighborhood. My research suggests that the best alternative to Lark in walking distance, should the need arise, is 1200 Bistro & Lounge.

If I am hopelessly wrong, please let me know.

I haven't been to 1200 Bistro and have heard mixed reviews on it. If I were recommending alternatives to Lark in the same area, they would be:

Crave
Osteria La Spiga

Both are marginally further away than 1200, but still close-by.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#43 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

I Echo
Inn at the Market
Campagne
Pichet

With the additional note that the wine programs at Pichet and Campagne are excellent and done by incredibly sweet friends of mine. Say hi them for me if you know me. But the lists are full of great values at various prices, and there are great things to guzzle at each.

#44 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:01 PM

I don't suppose any of you kind people know anything about Poulsbo?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#45 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:33 PM

I don't suppose any of you kind people know anything about Poulsbo?

Poulsbo