551 replies to this topic

#541 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:39 PM

ETA: Bourdain, Robert Buxbaum, Tony Finch. Look back at your own risk.

Cabby! Fat Guy! Steve Klc! It was almost 20 years ago!

#542 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:50 AM

We still here :wub:

#543 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

Paco Meralgo website isn't letting me past the accept cookies dialog, on laptop or mobile. ☹️

#544 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:38 PM

Alkimia policy. If there's a problem with the confirmation phone call you lose your table and 50 euros. How appealing.

http://alkimia.cat/p...g=en&politica=4

#545 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:06 AM

A massive exhibit of Tapies under Franco, "Biografia Politica," at the Fondacio.

#546 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

And it was great. Pedagogically brilliant, showing how he figured out how to make his super-aesthetic pure abstraction of 50s available to anti-fascist militancy of 60s/70s, plus a separate show of personal works for his wife.

#547 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

Returned to Hisop and had one of the most memorable meals of my life, which is high praise. Everyone put it back on the list.

Flaws? Service started a bit manic, fembot servers in severe uniforms running around. But they eventually relaxed. And one olive oil was a nightmare of wheatgrass-ish bitterness. Everything else fantastic.

Oh the sea urchin amuse was slightly bitter too.

Pork belly amuse topped with the most perfect mushroom.

Rice, baked shredded baby pig feet, esperdenya: one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Presented with an uncooked monkfish head at table, getting attention of everyone in the place. Ugly fucker. Served cooked and succulent in buttery sauce with a dollop of caviar on top.

Have I ever eaten better squab? Bloody but meltingly tender, furiously crisp and salty skin. A pot of pigeon pate on the side. A pan with an intense reduction for me to spoon over it.

A solid, international cheese selection.

Cava, a fruity Ribera Del Duero. Everything around 120 euros.

Drinks at Ideal Cocktail Bar on the way, a cold beer on a warm evening outside a random Eixample bar on my walk back to hotel. I'd take this as my Groundhog Evening.

#548 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

This wasn't the tasting menu. I ordered three full courses from the carte plus cheese. Not marking up the wine 300% allows diners to do that kind of thing.

#549 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

When wine is 4.50 euros BTG at quite a smart restaurant, you can order a huge meal and pay about $60. With the exception of a few reserves, bottles were in the 20-30 euro range.

Smoked eel, stewed tripe, suckling pig, cheeses, cava, local red: Agut (it seems to have dropped the d'Avinyo).

#550 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

I was thinking that last meal was a gut buster, but I did eat the large size assortment of embutidos at La Pineda for lunch (why would you eat the small unless you knew you'd be back next week?), and then there was the plate of octopus at Bar Celta on the way to dinner.

#551 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

Bad news I meant to pass on: Bar Pastis has gone. I wonder what happened to all the memorabilia.

For those who don't know, a very old French bar in what was once a dark alley in the Barri Xines. Approaching from the Ramblas, you ran the gauntlet of a crowd of heavy-set trans prostitutes. God knows what you had to get through if approaching from the other end.

A place to hear Edith Piaf at 4am after failing to honor all your good resolutions.

It's now a global Irish bar with a bouncer, and the street is paved and well lit.

#552 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,132 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Bar Loser

MF Old