#31 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Oct 29 2009, 11:55 AM) View Post
Do the current recs on this thread still stand? Going to be in BAL all next week.

Recently went to the Woodberry Kitchen and had a very good casual meal.

#32 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

i hear hamid karzai's brother's family owns a chain of afghani restaurants in baltimore.

i liked the aquarium, but didn't eat the dolphins.

man, i need a headache

#33 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Elizabeth Large's (The Baltimore Sun) top 10 seafood restaurants..... without "crab houses."

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#34 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Oct 29 2009, 12:11 PM) View Post
QUOTE(ghostrider @ Oct 29 2009, 12:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(OTB @ Oct 29 2009, 11:55 AM) View Post
Do the current recs on this thread still stand? Going to be in BAL all next week.

We haven't been back since 2006 but will likely return next year.

If you should find yourself in Fells Point at lunchtime, I'd be interested in your take on the crab cakes & slaw at Vikki's.

Well, my hotel/office is in Harborside so I probably will be sticking around that area during the day.
Have you looked on Rockwell? There are a fair number of Baltimore posts there.

"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Nice mention in the NY Times about the crabs at Obrycki's, but they're not from the Chesapeake. Currently, the crabs are from Texas. MD crabs will be available in July. Too late for the Preakness, however.

Patrons during Preakness weekend can order blue crabs, however, they aren’t from Maryland. Rob Cernak said he was currently having to fly crabs in from Texas because their Chesapeake Bay counterparts are too small – “I wouldn’t subject my patrons to that,” he said. The jumbo blue crabs that fans of Obrycki’s are accustomed to won’t be in season until around July, he said.

What makes Obrycki’s, which is open seasonally from March to November, better than its competition? For starters, there’s no Old Bay, Cernak said. A black-pepper-based seasoning is used that is spicier and less salty.

“You’re going to go through the same amount of beer, but for different reasons,” he said.

There is no filler used in the crab cakes, which are the top seller on the restaurant’s mail order menu (about 22,000 crab cakes were sold last year). Fresh crab meat, seasoned breadcrumbs and eggs — and that’s it.

“The flavor of fresh crab meat makes a huge difference,” Cernak said.

Got crabs?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#36 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Any recent recommendations for Baltimore? I think I'll mostly be doing family stuff, but will hopefully have a day or two to do my own thing, which will include seafood, if possible! (and hopefully no hurricanes)

#37 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Any recent recommendations for Baltimore? I think I'll mostly be doing family stuff, but will hopefully have a day or two to do my own thing, which will include seafood, if possible! (and hopefully no hurricanes)

There's always stuff coming and going around Fells Point.  Been a year since I've been and I remember being happy with what I found but nothing stood out.  The Little Italy a couple blocks away is interesting in a time warp sort of way.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#38 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Wouldn't if just be best to find the top crabcakes and eat those?  Faidley's?

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

TripAdvisor's crowd sourcing may be useful here.

DiPasquale's Italian Deli came in at #1 with 500+ comments (Highlandtown, off 895)

Thames Street Oyster House came in at #3, with 1,500 comments / votes  (Fells Point)

The Helmand came in #4 with 500+ comments, very favorable (north of downtown)

Faidley's came in at #11, 460+, very respectable

(Miss Shirley's is listed twice, but would have been #1 if these were unique votes)

#40 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

my friend had an awful meal at the hellmand recently.

#41 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:25 AM

I think Thames Street for the lobster roll and Faidley's for the crabcakes! And Patisserie Poupon for the kouign amann! And maybe Diablo Doughnuts. Because doughnuts are very American, and I must experience the food of locals. 

#42 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

I didn't get any crab cakes at all!  :( The closest I came to somewhere that served crab cakes was eating at a malaysian place in Bethesda. It was very close to the Bethesda Crab House. But next time!

#43 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Obryckis has an BWI airport location. In the Southwest section.

I thought I wrote it up. Good, but expensive.

#44 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

I forgot about that place! We went past R&R Seafood Bar, and our gate was relatively close to Phillips Seafood, which I thought might have crab cakes, but we were there at 8 am, so I'm not so sure they were serving them at that hour. I can eat seafood any time of day, but my travelling companion (aka my mother) had an allergic reaction to some not-so-fresh crabs the night before, so she was wary. I really wish I hadn't forgotten my licence. We had planned to do Baltimore right after we arrived, but ended up having to wait around for our ride.

#45 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

Does Obrycki's still have an existing bricks-and-mortar place?

Bar Loser

MF Old