1 reply to this topic

#1 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

I had dinner at Pearl Oyster Bar across the street from Olivetos. It got a very good review in SF Gate a couple of years ago, so we figured we'd try it. They don't take reservations but gave me a vibrating lobster and we walked around for 10 minutes until a table open up. The only real complaint is the noise level, which stems from the mod decor and metal bands arounds the walls. We split everything, along with a bottle of CA viognier/chardonnay blend that held up nicely against the food and was not as floral as viogniers can be.

apps:
tuna poke with cucumbers
dungeness crab cakes w/fennel
thai ceviche
The crab cakes were wonderul, mostly crab with very little mayo or flour. The thai ceviche was quite good, but not ceviche- it was green papaya salad with raw salmon strips on top. And the tuna poke was tasty, but I noticed it was the last thing eaten at the table and was not the most interesting.

mains:
black cod w/portabelo tempora, soy/sesame sauce and pea shoots
swordfish w/garbonzo puree, chanterelles, and some sort of root veg
coffe and cardamom crusted sturgeon w/cauliflower puree and wine sauce
I loved the cod but it didn't come with the pea shoots! We mentioned it to the server who checked and came back with a comped order of edamame, telling us that the kitchen had run out. A little dissapointing that nobody told us until we noticed, but handled well afterwards. Others liked the swordfish but I thought the garbonzo puree was ridiculously oversalted, which I supposed was overcompensation for a very plain piece of fish. Sturgeon was also good, and this time the puree was ethereal.

desserts:
panna cotta trio - milk choco, star anise, orange
stout ginger cake w/carmel sauce

All of the seafood was high quality. Unbelievably friendly pleasant service, from the busboy who overheard our conversation and chimed in to let us know that he was from Philadelphia too, to the smiling waiter, to the very friendly young/good looking female hostess who joked with us. In NY I am not hip enough to merit this kind of pleasant attitude from the hostess of a hip restaurant, but here in CA they are genuinely nice to everyone.

menu

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Mistake post - I thought this was Pearl Oyster Bar in NYC.