84 replies to this topic

#1 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:50 PM

I have an average meal at Aquagrill about two months ago. I'd visited several times previously over time for the restaurant's oysters, but had rarely sampled the
other items on its menu.

-- Billi Bi French Mussel Soup, with saffron, cream and potatoes -- Our dining
party of four shared two orders of this, resulting in a substantial portion for
each diner nonetheless. I liked this soup. The mussels had noticeable
sand/external grains inside them, and that detracted from their otherwise
appropriate-tasting flesh a bit. However, the soup texture was nice, conveying
cream and white wine, but not being too heavy. The small diced potatoes were
nice and not soft.

-- Fresh Maine Sea Urchin, with shaved scallions and citrus soy (special;
$10.50) -- Two urchins with their uncooked flesh were included in this dish. The
Maine variety is a bit gentler and less urchin-taste-imbued than the Santa
Barbara variety. Perhaps slightly creamier in texture as well. I added a bit of
fresh lemon jus, and avoided the served-on-the-side soy, which was too severe
for the urchins and a pairing mistake on the part of the kitchen. I enjoyed this
dish though, in part because I have an interest in sampling fresh sea urchins
from different parts of the world.

-- Oysters -- I'm not sure this is specifically mentioned on the Aquagrill
menu, but a request for an oyster sampler brings one of each oyster available at
the restaurant for the meal in question. That meant more than 20 oysters, shared
among our dining party. The oysters were generally good -- perhaps not as good
as I've sampled them at Aquagrill previously. Also, relative to the time when
Aquagrill had just opened, there are no longer the XXL or XL sizes of oysters,
in general.

-- Bouillabaisse, with poached cod, shrimp, mussels, clams, scallop and
lobster, in a garlic saffran tomato broth ($25). I was very full by the time
this dish arrived, having eaten more than 1/2 dozen oysters. The dish comes with
two pieces of long-shaped bread, with a lot of aioli on them. The broth was too
salty and (I rarely have this complaint with bouillabaisse) significantly too
concentrated. The lobster included was 1/2 of a very small lobster, the way I
like North American lobsters, and was cooked to an appropriate level. However,
the other items in the broth and the broth itself did not particularly appeal to
me. I was too full to meaningfully sample some of the items in this dish.

#2 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:35 PM

Why did you have two soups?
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#3 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

We were a party of four, and we ordered other appetizers.

#4 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:53 PM

I'm so lucky because it's across the street from my office.

Today I went over there for lunch, sat at the bar. First of all, the lunchtime bartendress (couldn't resist) is just terrific. Fast, smart, helpful, knowledgeable...I have her pick my oysters a lot of the time. Her name is Stacy.

Anyway...today I had a dozen oysters, 2 littlenecks, 2 cherrystones, and a salad. Glass of sauvignon blanc (entre-deux-mers). Espresso. I wanted a little dessert, but they don't really have one, and I didn't feel like sorbet. Anyway when my espresso came out, Stacy brought me a plate of cookies. They were excellent, especially the biscotto and a sesame crunchy thing. Their desserts should not be missed (nor should the desserts at the Oyster Bar, I might add - overlooked but excellent).

She picked very good oysters - had one called Savage Harbor, from Prince Edward Island, that I loved. Medium sized, very creamy, not too briney (which I love, just this one wasn't). Also gotta love those Royal Miyagis. The Cherrystones were huge and chewy - I love that.

Espresso was quite good.

I don't like sitting at the tables much - but sitting at the bar is great - you can linger, or get through a meal quickly...and service is fast and very good at the bar.

Only thing I wish is that they had some other whites by the glass - Sancerre, Chablis, Vioginier, Gavi, Vinho Verde....all of these I would have preferred over the selection they had today. They had a white burg by the glass a couple of weeks ago, but no more. They do have several sherries by the glass, which is points in my book.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:04 PM

Another lunch at Aquagrill. Love the Quilcenes from Washington State.

The other daytime bartender - dreamy doesn't begin to describe him. Dharmendra is his name. Reminds me of a young Amitabh, only thinner.

From 4 - 6 on Tues - Fri, they do $1 oysters and $3 draft pilsners 18 oyster max per person.

I wish the bread were better and the stools were more comfortable at the bar.

Dozen oysters, 2 littlenecks, 2 cherrystones (they're huge!), a glass of sauvignon blanc. $43 before tip.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

I must say, the cherrystones I ate at Nathan's out in Coney Island were very satisfying - big, plump, sweet and only just briny enough. I didn't grow up with clams, so when I first came to the States I used to eat them on the half shell all the time - I habit I should've maintained more assiduously.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Dinner with Abby at Aquagrill on Tuesday. I continue to really like that place. We sat at the bar, always pleasant. Bartender, as usual, knows his stuff and is very help and generous with advice.

Oysters were abundant, varied, fresh, good quality.

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:29 PM

What did you have aside from oysters?
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

I had some cherrystone clams, and we shared the mussel soup, and drank some wine.

I hate their bread, by the way.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:34 PM

It sounds like you avoided the entrees.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

As I usually do. Haven't had an entreee there yet that I really really liked. But never, ever less than delighted with the oysters. I do like that mussel soup though. I don't much like the salads I've had either.

Oysters
Clams
soup
wine
dessert

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

I haven't been there in a while, but I used to really like their wine list.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#13 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Two of us enjoyed slurping down 32 of these tasty gems at lunch today, washed down with a delicious 2002 Marcel Deitz Reisling. Of the 24 varieties on the card, we sampled about ten or twelve different ones. The Belons were excellent as were two varieties of Kumamotos and others the names of which I did not retain. A serving of wild white king salmon was next, nicely divided and plated for sharing by an accomodating kitchen. The salmon was very mild tasting, almost like sable or sturgeon. Pleasant but not great. A tasty mango tart made for a satisfying dessert.
Service was very solicitous and friendly. The owner/chef, Jeremy Marshall, stopped by the table for a nice "chat" as we were finishing up our meal. Aqua Grill continues to be a very enjoyable place for lunch.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#14 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

*burp*

I really enjoyed those oysters and the wine was just wonderful.

Jeez, MT, we were so carried away (and I need to be carried away right now) that we forgot to take the oyster list with us. Loved those Belons and Hama Hamas.

We sat at a table where we could take stock of the patrons walking in and they were an interesting bunch. Rather upscale and a little incongruous with Sixth Avenue at Spring Street. Service was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Of course, I'm still at the office now. ;)
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#15 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:22 PM

*burp*

We sat at a table where we could take stock of the patrons walking in and they were an interesting bunch.  Rather upscale and a little incongruous with Sixth Avenue at Spring Street.  Service was very helpful and knowledgeable.

The lunch crowd at Aquagrill is mostly comprised of people who work in the nabe,not those who live here[and who are we at this point,anyway?]...to quote an old street sticker from the 70s'"Soho sucks,bring back the trucks"....well that ain't gonna happen.Soho as some of us knew it ceased to exist at least 25 years ago...but they do serve up some great oysters...
G*d is in the details...