308 replies to this topic

#301 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Any particular reccs for hotels? Doing Sunday-Wednesday in mid march.

Why not mayo?

#302 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,370 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Villa condesa for something very nice and lower key

Condesa df just around the corner for something very nice and more of a party.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#303 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,820 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

I liked staying in Roma (next to Condessa, and one step down on the gentrification ladder).  Hotel La Valise is very nice, if lacking in services.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#304 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

So I'm back from this little visit.

I ate at Contramar twice in three days.  I was sort of concerned because I had been thoroughly unimpressed by Cala in SF.  I could not have been more wrong. Really impressive stuff. I loved it.  Make sure you get the spanish menu that has the daily specials.  Highlights were an aguachile of scallops, ceviche of chocolate clams, softshell crab tacos. I actually preferred the shrimp tostadas to the tuna, but whatevs.  Super cheap at the current fx rate as well.

Nicos - You ever order wrong at a place and recognize that its still great? That's what I did here.  Guac, Sopa Seca de Natas (A must order once, and then I wouldn't get it again. Just didn't do anything for me) and then I tried to order a barbacoa of rabbit and a chilorio of pork. They were out of the rabbit, so we only got the chilorio - very tasty, but kind of one dimensional/cheat food, but we were stuffed at this point. There were lots of great looking dishes on other plates that I highly recommend.

Dulce Patria - Weird place - feels like a hip restaurant in 1992. Scene is rather off putting and some of the plating is frankly mockable.  However I really enjoyed my dish of duck in mole negro and my wife had an aguachile and a beef dish that were also good.  But the room/scene is a clown show.

Rosetta Panaderia - sure. why not.  Its good, but you might as well be in a leafy part of brooklyn. A statement I would make generally about Condesa and Roma.  My wife who is not insane unlike us, unprovoked by me made a comment that "every hipster area looks like brooklyn" in the context of us walking around.  I'd say in this case its more like a down market version of Madrid with more brooklyn style merchandizing.  Spend your time exploring the more touristy areas in my mind.  Yes I said that.

Lots of mezcal at a few of the mini-chainlet hipster mezcal places in the Eater guide.  Fun.  Better food than needs to be as well.

No street food as we had a wedding in San Miguel de Allende later in the week and I was told risking things was not acceptable.  San Miguel is what we are told to expect.

Why not mayo?

#305 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Bravo. 

I need to send someone to check out the daniel ovadia places because I can't see how I'll make it to DF in 2017.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#306 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

did you take your kids?

#307 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

no.  But from a food perspective, given the lunch emphasis kids might be viable.

Tho given its a five hour flight I'm not sure there aren't better destinations with the same distance/cost.

Why not mayo?

#308 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,820 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Even though it's been more than a year since my last visit, I can see there are a few worthwhile pieces of information I can supply.

Taquería Los Cocuyos

This taquería, in a storefront stall on the edge of Chinatown, has the best tacos I had in Mexico City.  Better even than any of the street stands.  Odd bits of various animals are made into fillings that are just heavenly.  You sit on a bench on the sidewalk.  The late-night crowd of off-duty cops and on-duty hipsters is fun.

Bósforo

This mezcalería -- on the fringe of the Historic Center, about a 10-minute walk from Los Cocuyos -- is the coolest bar I've ever been in, anywhere.  The selection of mezcal is fantastic, the retro-futuro music is the height of cool, and the crowd . . . although they seem the hippest of the hip, they're open and welcoming.  I walked in an unaccompanied old man, but I soon was welcomed into several different groups of drinking buddies.  (Mexico City is like that.)

Dulce Patria

Just to note that Bonner absolutely nailed this place.  I just loved Chef Martha Ortiz's last restaurant, Aguila y Sol, but this one goes full-on Polanco douche.  The food is still good -- if somewhat stuck in the '00s.  But the place . . . .

Contramar

Now I'm not adding anything.  But it's funny how this place keeps exceeding my expectations. 

The first time I went, it was shortly after it opened.  And it looked to me like it was going to be an overhyped douchestaurant, catering to a crowd that doesn't know or care about food.  But it was just great, one of the better seafood restaurants I've been to.

This time, I figured the place would be over it.  There's no reason, I figured, to maintain quality and interest at such a high-rent high-volume spot.  But guess what?  It's still great.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#309 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Bosforo is SO good. Besides an awesome mezcal list, they also have great guanabana and tamarind juice drinks.
Immortal space traveler.