#1 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:02 PM

Has anyone been experienced?
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#2 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:47 AM

voila!

But I hear ominous tidings of late. Tread carefully for tis dear.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:44 AM

voila!

But I hear ominous tidings of late. Tread carefully for tis dear.

several early fans of chakra have turned sour.

Food, service, and crowding have been mentioned as areas which need improvement...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:10 PM

Good thing I'll be mystery dining for them. Thank you for the links and insight!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

#5 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:15 AM

Briefly: horrid service at the bar; very fine waiter; very satisfying and interesting food and drink; no management presence on dining room floor.
More after report is up.

#6 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:00 PM

I really like this menu. There's lots of interesting apps. that I would like to try and obvious thought behind the menu. I loved my crispy-skin salmon with a soy marinade. Very crispy indeed, with still tender and rosy salmon flesh. D. had the short ribs which came with a menu-specified "cold potato salad". Menu said cold and it was, like right out of a walk-in, but I don't understand the pairing.
My galette suffered from under-browned crust and the dough wasn't sweet enough. But the sorbets (coconut esp.) were lovely and I liked the square plating of them. And yes, indeed, the napkin test was aced. I, too, liked the salt cellar. But - the plates and silverware and glasses were all dirty. And the service at the bar is as from another planet, this one occupied by people who don't care if you're thirsty.
Hope they can turn it around as I'd like to try more of the menu.

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,688 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:11 PM

not an indian restaurant then?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 02:01 AM

Nope. And no one offered to rearrange my aura. :angry:

#9 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:11 PM

Rene Mack LUVS!!! Chakra.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#10 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:30 AM

i was amazed to read this. perhaps ms. mack (whose reviews i generally agree with) hasn't spent as much time there as i have. or perhaps chakra has gotten its shit together.

#11 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:19 AM

i was amazed to read this.  perhaps ms. mack (whose reviews i generally agree with) hasn't spent as much time there as i have.  or perhaps chakra has gotten its shit together.

Rene is a man and no relation to Pat Mack. Having followed the guys writings for a while, I'd have to say that Chakra is right up his alley. He has been described as having a "rather Fragonard" quality to his restaurant outlook. He likes and gives points for all that 'frou-frou' decorative stuff. I had a pretty decent experience at Chakra, though at a couple of hundred bucks for my somewhat modest meal; I felt I could do better.

Put it this way. I usually dine at these places for the first time on an expense account. The test for me is whether I'd return to a place on my nickel. I haven't been back to Chakra since I first ate there in April--thouigh the meal was pretty good. At this level of dining, The Village Green in Ridgewood gives much better value for money. Cafe Panache gives better food and both of those are BYO.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:03 PM

i was amazed to read this.  perhaps ms. mack (whose reviews i generally agree with) hasn't spent as much time there as i have.  or perhaps chakra has gotten its shit together.

Rene is a man and no relation to Pat Mack.

I didn't know that, either.

I've haven't looked at the thread on the other site for a while, but I recall that several people had bad experiences at Chakra. Maybe they have got their stuff together, or maybe two visits by Ren Mack weren't representative, but I'd like to see some additional comments, too.

#13 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

Bill Pitcher has the news that Thomas Ciszak, the highly regarded chef (and part-owner?) of Copeland in Morristown, has taken a part-ownership of Chakra. His wife has been general manager of Chakra for a year.

An owner, and an operator

More details in the follow-up article. New focus on food, and upgrading the food experience. Expect a new menu in September.

Bergen County

Edited by Rail Paul, 21 July 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

Wine dinner suggests the direction of the "new menu" from executive chef and partner Thomas Ciszak.

First Course:
Marinated Pumpkin with Frisée, Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese, Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette
Wine: Chardonnay: Bouchaine Vineyards Estate 2007, Carneros

Second Course:
Salmon Medallion, Savoy Cabbage, Mushroom Duxelle, Red Wine Butter
Wine: Pinot Noir: Bouchaine Vineyards 2007, Carneros

Third Course:
Berkshire Pork Belly Confit, Roasted Butternut Squash, Heirloom Apples
Wine: Pinot Noir: Bouchaine Vineyards Estate 2006, Carneros

Cheese Course:
Manchego and Quince on Focaccio, Sheep’s Milk, Spain
Wine: Chardonnay: Bouchaine Vineyards Bouche d’Or 2009, Carner

Wine Dinner

#15 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:21 AM

Interesting, and big news. I've only been there for drinks. However, I know several people who have gone, several times, and some regularly. Like many places, I guess, some like it and some don't. I have spoke with several people who just didn't like, both from a food perspective as well as service. Sure, both can be hit or miss, exception rather than norm, etc. I get that. However, whenever we talked about going to Chakra, another place was always chosen. Perhaps because of my prior comments. I do like and appreciate Nick's comments.

Now, that said, I haven't spoke with any of the people about Chakra since Tom Ciszak has arrived on the scene, redone the menu, etc. This is a big step and big things can come from this. I would suspect that if he's not handcuffed or restricted, has complete control (of the kitchen), etc., he will produce very good things here. Ciszak is very well respected and I expect positive results here.