438 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

This week* we are helpfully informed that we can turn out supper without the help of a countertop convection oven. Golly!

* In tribute to Rancho, master thread namer.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#2 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

I was recently in a restaurant supply store here and the prices he quotes are extremely cheaper than what I find to be the case here. I might do a comparison just for fun.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

He has things on his list I have never owned:

"Other things, like the mandoline, are almost luxury items: a skimmer (I like these for removing dumplings or gnocchi); a slotted spoon; a heat-resistant rubber spatula (which can replace the classic wooden spoon); a bread knife (good for crusty loaves and ripe tomatoes); and a big whisk (which I might use three times a year).

You should also have a food processor (you want 12-cup capacity, and Amazon.com, for example, has an adequate 14-cup Hamilton Beach for $60); a salad spinner (the one at Bowery Restaurant Supply was as big as my kitchen; you will find one for $15 somewhere); a Microplane grater (the old box graters have been largely replaced by the food processor, but you’ll need something for cheese, nutmeg and your oft-used asafetida; it’ll set you back less than $10). A coffee and spice grinder is another $10 item.

A blender is a bit more optional. An immersion one is nice, but standard ones are more useful, and you can find them for as little as $15."

Where's the chafing dish?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

When all these people are asking what to buy for their kitchen, instead of telling them , he should be asking questions about what they're going to cook. this article was almost meaningless.
I use a blender twice a week and my food processor twice a year. After my last "cooking for the masses" attempt, I threw out my mandoline. I almost never cook with non-stick anymore and I think the one big investment should be a knife, not a disposable razor type thing. The knife is the closest thing to an extension to your hand. I think it's worth a little dough. I do use a whisk, but a medium one and I love my slotted spoons. But a spatula replacing a wooden spoon???? Alice is at it, again!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Yep. A sharp knife is essential. But all this microplane and skim* and salad-blow and rubber spoon and immersion thing...

It's just... stuff.

*Old Wilfrid tip: use tea-strainer.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

The immersion thing teaches you about places you never knew existed (that's where the splatter of hot hot pepper mash goes, after hitting your eyes)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

I have two whisks. I didn't buy either of them. Boy do I get some wear out of them. Whisk, whisk, whisk, day and night.
Elect-a-lujah

#8 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

Gadzooks, we have everything. Three blenders, even: one conventional, one corded immersion and one cordless immersion. No chafing dish though.
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

And good for you.

But a "no frills" "basic" kitchen does not need all these gadgets.
Elect-a-lujah

#10 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

I know, what I mean is, we don't need a quarter of what we have. We have turned into foodie freaks.

I blame you people. :P
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Idea for a thread. Stuff you were shamed into buying as a result of hanging out on food forums. For example, I have a monstrously large and heavy cast-iron pan that I use about once a year. But oh boy, did I have fun following various eGullet techniques for seasoning it. :P
Elect-a-lujah

#12 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Idea for a thread. Stuff you were shamed into buying as a result of hanging out on food forums. For example, I have a monstrously large and heavy cast-iron pan that I use about once a year. But oh boy, did I have fun following various eGullet techniques for seasoning it. :P

I have a knife that is totally useless to me but the price was SOOOO good.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#13 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

I know, what I mean is, we don't need a quarter of what we have. We have turned into foodie freaks.

I blame you people. :P

I find that bread baking has caused me to buy a wealth of bread pans and rising vessels, most of which are now stored in the basement. Long, thin ficelle pans, wider baguette pans, pans with perferorations, and without. Several high sided metal and glass loaf pans. Four different sizes of muffin pans. Coupla woven read risers.

Plates and bowls are another space taker. I like to match the color and shape of the plates used for everyday dinner to the food involved. So, there are 9 different shapes and sizes of plates (mostly 2's and 4's) in the kitchen, plus 6 different shapes and sizes of bowls. This takes about 30 feet of shelf space, with stacker units, and there's more downstairs, while formal stuff stored in the breakfront and buffet server.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#14 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,671 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have a knife that is totally useless to me but the price was SOOOO good.

I'm not loving my immersion blender the way I thought I would. It's very messy to use among other things.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#15 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

My husband is poised to buy a portable gas ring for making paella, and it's my fault because I showed him this thread by GG Mora. At least he is buying it with Canadian Tire money. :P
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer