foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

We really DO need a swap thread.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#17 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Three blenders, even: one conventional, one corded immersion and one cordless immersion.

And a useless smoothie blender from starting a new bank account. Hand mixer, KitchenAid stand mixer, Vegematic chopper, crank chopper, nut chopper. This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing. I saw Martha Stewart do a segment on mandolines but I couldn't find any locally except a $7 one (works just fine). I know, I know, I was supposed to buy the visually lovely Japanese ones that cost hundreds of dollars with the quality of samurai swords like the ones Martha has. The baking sheet should be the very large ones that sell at Costco for something like 2/$12. And I don't know how I survived pre-Silpat. You only need one large mesh strainer (I have a pretty colander, too, because it matches my kitchen). And my zester. Oh, how I love my zester. The newish high heat silicon spatulas are growing on me and use them now more than wooden spoons because they are super efficient multi-taskers and easier to clean. Long handled slotted spoon. Knives. Oh, my. Complicated, subjective, personal. Stainless serrated paring knife used every day, all day. Bread knife. Carbon steel carving/meat knife. Twelve carbon steel steak knives, haven't used these is 20+ years. Kitchen shears. I use scissors every meal for slicing bacon, herbs, parsley/cilantro. Ten dollar coffee bean grinder. Two-cup glass and plastic measuring cups.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#18 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Idea for a thread. Stuff you were shamed into buying as a result of hanging out on food forums.

Plus things you're ashamed to own. (A couple of non-stick pans in my case.)

But don't knock the rubber spatula. I use ours all the time now in preference to wooden ones.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,525 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

why should i be ashamed to own non-stick cookware again?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Yes, I admit I use silicone spatulas. Any of these items are just dandy; it's the implication that all of them are basic essentials which bemuses me. It shouldn't, of course, in a society which regards carrying cellphones as an absolute necessity.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#21 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

But don't knock the rubber spatula. I use ours all the time now in preference to wooden ones.

We cross-posted. Clarification needed. NOT the old 99cent white "rubber" spatula. These are stiff, silicon brightly colored ones that take high boiling heat and really scrape the sides and bottom of pots like no wooden spoon can. And I say that apologetically because I used to be a big wooden spoon and Galloping Gourmet spurtle fan. Technology has improved both sanitation and efficiency, in my humble opinion. The Mexican spoons and racks are gorgeous, though.

#22 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yes... I've avoided the bright colors. :P

On a positive note, I can't believe I survived without tongs for so many years. I was flipping the most delicate little discs of blood sausage with me tongs last night. Much better than chasing them around the pan with a fish slice. :cool:

Another Wilfrid tip: the Williams and Sonoma extra large stainless steel spatula designed for tossing burgers on a grill is the right size and shape to lift even quite large whole fish.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#23 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Idea for a thread. Stuff you were shamed into buying as a result of hanging out on food forums.

Plus things you're ashamed to own. (A couple of non-stick pans in my case.)

An antique foie gras funnel....

"But you never know when you're gonna need one!!!!!!!"

My unused crap:
- The pasta roller (which, actually, I just recently found I can use in my jewelry studio to make long strips of copper)
- The long, expensive fish poacher pan
- Trifle bowl (used three times in a dozen years)
- Madeleine molds
- Cannele molds
- Fancy Bundt pan

#24 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Only tourists allow food to stick and you can't get a decent fond in a non-stick pan.

#25 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

Only tourists allow food to stick and you can't get a decent fond in a non-stick pan.

Or make a decent omelette.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#26 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

I need a mortar and pestle a lot more than a coffee grinder. I've never owned a food processor in my life but use the blender constantly. I think you can get away with spending $35 for a knife, but not much less. The one he shows in the video would need to be replaced like, once a year. Also, and I know this from my roommate's piece of crap knives, they bend when you use them and fly all over the place which makes them really dangerous. The reason they are used in commercial kitchens is probably because people keep walking off with them. IKEA is good for cheap decent stuff, if one is careful. I fucking love tongs.

I also love the idea of a swap thread.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#27 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

Clearly the only essential kitchen implement is this, a snip at $1495.50. ($1495.50????)

#28 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

"The solid brass construction will impress your guests."

:P
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#29 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Clearly the only essential kitchen implement is this, a snip at $1495.50. ($1495.50????)

Aw, you're killing me.... I've always wanted one!!!! (Although I was looking at antique versions in sterling on eBay for $8k to $15k!)

#30 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

I also love the idea of a swap thread.

YES!! Dibs on Carolyn's trifle bowl. Been looking for one of those. Love trifle because you can blend anything and make it elegant in presentation when it's really just a melange (fancy word for mess).