438 replies to this topic

#31 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

why should i be ashamed to own non-stick cookware again?

Only tourists allow food to stick and you can't get a decent fond in a non-stick pan.

Or make a decent omelette.

ah, but it is so much easier to clean non-stick pots after making things like dal, which don't need a fond.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#32 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

I only make omelettes in a non-stick pan. Why fuck around?

#33 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

I swear, they are better (or mine are better in any case) when I don't use a non-stick pan. Its a textural thing. If the heat is high enough and you use enough butter, it's a snap.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Knives. Repeated experiments have taught me that I can show up anywhere and make a meal with whatever gear someone has in their kitchen.

As long as I bring my own knife with me.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

Knives. Repeated experiments have taught me that I can show up anywhere and make a meal with whatever gear someone has in their kitchen.

I agree with this. I can make do with some pretty shitty cookware and a total lack of mixers, blenders, processors, etc., but I am realy hampered when I ask for a knife and they give me some wood handled steak knife that hasn't had an edge in over a decade.

#36 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister. I have learned not to ask where the peppermill is since last Christmas when she told me peppermills were 'pretentious'.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister.

Family issues on appropriate thread, please.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

I swear, they are better (or mine are better in any case) when I don't use a non-stick pan. Its a textural thing. If the heat is high enough and you use enough butter, it's a snap.

Perhaps the secret is not the pan. :P
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#39 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister.

Family issues on appropriate thread, please.

So you've met her? :P

#40 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

No chafing dish though.

Interesting that you added this. I just talked to, in between posting here, one of the top caterers in Santa Barbara (did Julia Child's Memorial) and they requested permission to not use chafing dishes because "they alter the food." :P
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#41 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

I agree with this. I can make do with some pretty shitty cookware and a total lack of mixers, blenders, processors, etc., but I am realy hampered when I ask for a knife and they give me some wood handled steak knife that hasn't had an edge in over a decade.

Several years ago I cut myself quite badly when I visited a friend for the weekend up the Mendocino coast and was trying to slice a tomato with the only knife he had. Thing was so dull it bounced off the tomato, but managed to be sharp enough to slice my hand wide open, thank you.

Since then, I take my knives anyplace I expect to be involved in food preparation.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#42 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

Ah, yes, the fish poaching pan/pot/thang. I must figure out something else to do with it. Would make a handy jello mold.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#43 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:59 PM

Ah, yes, the fish poaching pan/pot/thang. I must figure out something else to do with it. Would make a handy jello mold.

I have used it more often for hefty, stuffed pork loins than I have for fish.

#44 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

No chafing dish though.

Interesting that you added this. I just talked to, in between posting here, one of the top caterers in Santa Barbara (did Julia Child's Memorial) and they requested permission to not use chafing dishes because "they alter the food." :P

I only added that because Wilfrid did, above.

We do have a damned fish poacher though, bloody space-taking thing of beauty that it is, used once in our 16-year marriage (thus far).
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#45 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:50 AM

On a positive note, I can't believe I survived without tongs for so many years. I was flipping the most delicate little discs of blood sausage with me tongs last night. Much better than chasing them around the pan with a fish slice. :P

I use chopsticks for stuff like that.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'