19 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:10 PM

Wine Spectator and the NY Times each have articles today about dining in the Hamptons, a high end resort area about 100 miles east of NYC. The ten mile stretch of beach is populated by glamorous people, glitzy restaurants, and indifferent servers, if the articles are to be believed.

John Mariani's article in the Wine Spectator mentions Stone Creek Inn, Mirko's, and Della Femina as places worth his time. The nearness of fresh produce, fish, and high quality preparation may mean wonderful dining (or maybe not). Marvin Shanken puts in a good word for the dessert at Almond.

Almond features in Frank Bruni's article on a whirlwind visit to several upscale restaurants in the Hamptons. Along with lost reservations, inept service, bad burgers, and ostentatious wealth he found wonderful seafood and extremely fresh vegetables. Several of the observations made in his Blue Hill review echo in his comments on local produce at the far eastern tip of Long Island.

Wine Spectator

NY Times
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 pierre

pierre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:11 PM

I dined last week end at the american hotel in sag harbor.This restaurant has been around for a long time,but has a high reputation.the decor is fetching with brass and mirrors,and the place was full with the hampton chic.
The food was very tasty, with high quality ingredients.i had lobster bisque,rich and flavorful and long island duck which was superb. the service was terrible.it took 25 minutes to bring the wine and it was the wrong bottle. we waited at least 35 minutes beween courses.Total cost without wine and dessert was $138 per couple.

#3 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:12 PM

Wealth and pretensiousness in the Hamptons? Next thing you know, there'll be gambling at Ricks.

What excellent investigative journalism. Blew the lid off the scene.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:29 PM

Wealth and pretensiousness in the Hamptons? What excellent investigative journalism. Blew the lid off the scene.

Yeah

Bruni seemed more interested in observing people accepting service they wouldn't dream of tolerating back home. I guess that's part of the charm of rustic life, even if "rustic" is in the Hamptons...

#5 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:32 PM

Had he ever been there before? Had he ever spoken with someone who'd been there before? Had he ever read an article about the Hamptons?

This guy writes for the Times, and it's like he walked out of some mid-western politeness fantasy and suddenly realized that people can be rich, rude and ridiculous. And that young folks who go to a beach town to get laid for a summer and pick up a waiting job to pay the rent just might not be professionals.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#6 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:37 PM

Anyone have tips on Easthampton or Montauk restaurants that allow BYO?

#7 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Another disappointing week of dining out east. Went to East by Northeast, Dave's Grill and Inlet Seafood (all in Montauk)and I can describe all three with one word--mediocre.

And mediocre is fine if you are paying for mediocre but with starters going for $10 - $14 and mains going from $27 to $40, it should be much better than this.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

What happened to Travers?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#9 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

This week. Heading up tomorrow.

Ambrose Bierce

#10 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

We're going next Wed or Thu. So please report on the Saratoga thread on your findings!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Another disappointing week of dining out east. Went to East by Northeast, Dave's Grill and Inlet Seafood (all in Montauk)and I can describe all three with one word--mediocre.

And mediocre is fine if you are paying for mediocre but with starters going for $10 - $14 and mains going from $27 to $40, it should be much better than this.

Dave's Grill got a write up in the WSJ this week. Sounds like they're doing a pretty good business. Full every night, and they're staying open a little later.

It's an interesting reservations system. Same day only, and you have to call after 4.30pm. They seat three or four tables every 15 minutes in a 19 table restaurant. (That means she must be allowing about 75 minutes per table for turnover, so her kitchen can't dawdle)

Then she sorts out the assignments

WSJ

Part of the thrill of going to Dave's, which chef David Marcley and his wife, Julie, opened in 1988, is trying to get in. (The Marcleys met in the early '80s when he was a bartender at Gurney's Inn, and she worked in the spa. Now they live three miles from the restaurant.)

The place has a kind of mythic reservation policy. Tables can be had on a same-day-only basis, and phone lines open at 4:15 p.m. for that evening. Start calling 631-668-9190 at that time on any given day of the week during the summer—except Wednesday, when the place is closed—and chances are you'll get one thing, and one thing only: a busy signal.

On a recent Friday afternoon, a reporter decided to check out the hustle and bustle at the restaurant. He planned to get to Dave's at 4:10, but traffic on Route 27 obviously made him later. By 4:25, Ms. Marcley, who is also the restaurant's quite amiable nightly hostess, was already calmly answering the restaurant's two phone lines, which includes a rollover line.

"Good afternoon, Dave's Grill, this is Julie," Ms. Marcley said over and over into the phone. She had two pens, a bottle of White Out and a clipboard at her disposal. A plate of grilled chicken and mesclun salad was untouched. "Hi Jim. Four people for 7? Sure, that's no trouble at all." She hung up. "If I take a bite of food, I'll have to pick up the phone again. Hold on." She picked up. "Hi Odette. How may I help you?"

Ms. Marcley has a system. First she takes down names and party sizes with the knowledge that there are a total of 19 tables, 11 inside, eight outside. She will book three to four tables for every 15 minutes, longer for bigger parties. Dave's Grill doesn't take reservations for the seven bar stools and suggests those for parties of two.

"We don't want to overwhelm the kitchen with tickets," Mr. Marcley, wearing a chef's apron, piped in, "and we want to make sure everyone gets good service."

Once all the slots are filled, said Ms. Marcley, "then I figure out where everyone's going to sit." And after that, she can eat.

At one point in the restaurant's history, the Marcleys took advance reservations. They'd wind up with empty seats. At another point, they let people come early and make reservations in person. They'd fill the whole list before the kitchen even opened.

"Honey, it was too stressful," said Ms. Marcley.

They discovered that the current system works best. "It means we have very few no-shows, especially because they don't want to be blacklisted," Ms. Marcley explained. The phone rang and she picked up. "What's the dress code? Smart casual. No, jackets aren't required."

By 5:15, the place was pretty sold out, with one or two reservations still available for 7ish. On a Friday night, Ms. Marcley said, some folks might be driving after work from the city. The restaurant has been staying open later to accommodate the evening Montauk crowds.

Do they ever have a hard time filling tables? "Not in the summer, not a single day," said Mr. Marcley.

"Knock on wood," Ms. Marcley added. "I always say it's not going to be that busy, and then it is."

Ms. Marcley said that she's taught her reservation system to an employee in the restaurant's office so that she can have a day off. But still, a reporter prodded, she must find some enjoyment in it.

"I do like it," she said, as the first party ambled in, a few minutes early for a 5:45 table. "It's kind of like a Sudoku."

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Dave's is mediocre at any price, criminal at their prices.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#13 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Had my first good meal out here in a while. South Edison located in downtown Montauk. Very fresh and well prepared food in a very nice space. Excellent beer, wine and different homemade desserts served everyday. First place I've been to where I wanted to go back the next day to try more items on the menu. South Edison

Ambrose Bierce

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,829 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

I stayed with a friend for a weekend.. I must say,.. the curry chicken salad and the salmon roe spread from Loaves and Fishes or Fishes and Loaves were two of the best things I have ate in a very long time... It must have been the combination of being on the beach all morning and running around but, there was something so addictive about those two items... It has been almost a month but, that damn chicken haunts me..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I stayed with a friend for a weekend.. I must say,.. the curry chicken salad and the salmon roe spread from Loaves and Fishes or Fishes and Loaves were two of the best things I have ate in a very long time... It must have been the combination of being on the beach all morning and running around but, there was something so addictive about those two items... It has been almost a month but, that damn chicken haunts me..

only 44.99/lb

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"