178 replies to this topic

#16 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

I think its a great thing (and I am a smoker).

I think that England will face some social related problems, especially as a lot of pubs are in residential areas and people will stand outside for a crafty fag, making noise and causing litter.

I also suspect that the ban may be difficult to enforce in some "locals".

Many councils are not employing enforcement officers due to the expense, so who is going to enforce it?
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

The initiative was started by the bartenders in Ireland, and has been enforced for at least two years. Business has definitely declined in pubs but I'm that's about as much as I know.

Win win, as they don't work for tips. :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

people will stand outside for a crafty fag

Must. Not. Make. Obvious. Joke.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#19 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

I am against smoking bans.. I see the right for people to have a smoke free environment, I wish people would see other peoples rights to have a smokey environment.. People vote with their pocket books in a free society...
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#20 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,489 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

I'm against them too, but according to the ludicrous voting with your $s theory, we should have had thousands of non-smoking bars in nyc all along.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#21 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

I am against smoking bans.. I see the right for people to have a smoke free environment, I wish people would see other peoples rights to have a smokey environment.. People vote with their pocket books in a free society...

Do you allow smoking at Bite Club?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

As long as everyone in the room agrees with it, if it were a private party.. But that hasnt happened..

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

I'm against them too, but according to the ludicrous voting with your $s theory, we should have had thousands of non-smoking bars in nyc all along.

I am really surprised no one did this.. I have heard on the net all these people say they didnt go to certain bars or restaurant because they did not allow smoking.. But no one stepped up a had a non smoking bar.. It was strange..

#24 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I don't think smoking in bars is coming back any time soon. Most people like it. The forecasts that bars by the hundreds would close their doors haven't come true. It appears most people really don't want to spend that time with their families after all.

As for rights, the problem with smokers rights is that they infringe on the rights of non-smokers not to breathe in something that smells bad.

Lets turn it around. If you had a neighbor that liked to listen to Celine Dion singing My Heart Will Go On at top volume for hours on end, would you be OK with this if it drowned out the TV in your living room?

The smoking ban is purely a quality of life issue.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#25 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

There have been non-smoking pubs in London, and a few bars attached to restaurants have been smoke-free, but it has alway been a tiny minority and the whole idea gives off such a strong "no fun" vibe that I can't imagine they were very succesful. Kind of like vegetarian restaurants. :lol:

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

I don't think smoking in bars is coming back any time soon. Most people like it. The forecasts that bars by the hundreds would close their doors haven't come true. It appears most people really don't want to spend that time with their families after all.

As for rights, the problem with smokers rights is that they infringe on the rights of non-smokers not to breathe in something that smells bad.

Lets turn it around. If you had a neighbor that liked to listen to Celine Dion singing My Heart Will Go On at top volume for hours on end, would you be OK with this if it drowned out the TV in your living room?

The smoking ban is purely a quality of life issue.

Not really a good comparison.. People choose to go to a bar or restaurant.. You dont need to go to a bar.. So if you like smoking, you go to a smoking bar, if you dont like smoking, you should go to a bar that doesnt allow smoking..

I would sooner ban smoking walking down the street then ban it in a business where people make the decision of going to..

#27 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

Independent studies have been done and there is no evidence that smoking bans have a negative economic impact on the jurisdictions involved.

Mind you, the second attempt at such a study here in Ottawa failed because too many pubs refused to cooperate with the survey, thus, "the high refusal rate raised the question of why bars and pubs allegedly losing money as a result of Ottawa 's bylaws would not wish to provide economic data proving the allegation, and called into question PUBCO's assertions of economic loss in this sector."
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Regardless of loss of money, people have lost their freedom.. If Mel Gibson wasnt a dumb bastard, I would have quoted Brave Heart right there..

#29 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

would you apply that same rationale to other laws and regulations that target public health, like food safety? Why do we need to have a law that requires that food be refrigerated to a certain temperature or stored a certain way. If a restaurant didn't follow the rules and made people sick, people would stop going there, no? They would vote with their pocket books in a free society.

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

Actually I've gained freedom, freedom from breathing in a smoky stinky environment while I enjoy my drink and/or food. And so have the employees of those places.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid