1495 replies to this topic

#1486 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

but the difficulty/seeming impossibility of (simply) transferring contacts, data and settings from my old android phone to the pixel is a HUGE fail. i'm hoping the verizon store staff will be able to do it when i go in to activate this phone (it needs a smaller sim).

I'm assuming contacts can be downloaded from your Google address book.  When I bought my Nexus 4 back in 2013 the T-Mobile store was able to download them.  (I had never had a smartphone before.)

When I switched from the Nexus to the G4 in 2015 all my contacts and apps came over wirelessly.  The TM store handled the transfer.

Recently I moved from a G4 to a G5.  In this case I handled the transfer myself.  I had a 132GB  SD card installed on the G4 to store photos and videos.  LG has a backup utility that lets you back up contacts and apps to the card.  When I bought the new phone and swapped the card I used the utility to reload everything.  Even the wi-fi networks and passwords that I use. It worked really well.

I think your Verizon people are going to make this problem go away.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1487 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

One more thing.  When I got the new phone at the end of December I ordered a charger from Amazon that supported the Qualcomm's Quick Charge standard.  It cuts charging time by 2/3.

It's on sale now from Amazon for $12.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1488 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,732 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

the phone comes with a quick charger.

the problem with contacts is that some are synced to a google account and some are on the phone itself. when i sync from google only a few contacts go over. the phone's backup utility barfs each time i try to use it.

but it's not just contacts--i'd like my text messages and photos to move over as well and it would be nice to not have to redo other settings too (emails, folders full of bookmarks etc.)

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#1489 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Understood.  I use Gmail and Yahoo mail and have both set to sync.

Awhile back I was moving between multiple computers at work and wanted a way to keep my bookmarks with me.  I found Xmarks written up in one of the trade magazines.  It stores your bookmarks in the cloud and will sync them between multiple devices.  I'm pretty sure Chrome does this and I bet there are lots of other solutions out there. Xmarks has a phone app that acts as a front end to all your bookmarks.   At this point I'm sticking with Xmarks because it works seamlessly.  When I've switched phones I've had no problems. 

Good luck with the transfers.  I'd be interested to hear how they work out.  I suspect the Verizon staff are going to be able to solve some of these problems.

On that smaller SIM card.  I had the same issue when I moved from the G4 to G5.  The old one was already pretty small.  The new one is ridiculously tiny and hard to handle.  I really question the value of saving a tiny amount of space vs. the convenience of popping the existing card into a new phone and having it work immediately. 

The SIM card size remained the same for years.  I used the same one on multiple phones for at least 10 years.  Now they're changing the size every year or so.

#1490 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,732 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

finally got up to the verizon store today. encountered a very supercilious young man, who condescended to me greatly but couldn't get anything more transferred to the pixel than i had previously managed on my own at greater speed. i was also told that they no longer do data transfers in stores. then it emerged that they could give me a sheet of information on how to use a verizon app called "content transfer" to move things between the phones. i was not hopeful but gave it a go when i got home and in just a few minutes it brought all my contacts, text message, pictures, video files and documents over via bluetooth. why this is not trumpeted on the verizon page or told to customers by the people in their call center, or why the staff lounging around in the store with nothing to do couldn't have done this for me when i was there, i have no idea.

but now my phone is all hooked up and i am very happy* (especially with the camera, which is as good as billed).

*though the updated gmail app on this phone is causing problems for one of my email accounts. it's a known problem but they're yet to address it.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#1491 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

Did you get the pixel or pixel xl?

Still thinking about whether to wait till the fall for the next iteration, or just get the pixel. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the 6P.

#1492 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,732 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

regular pixel. the xl is permanently out of stock anyway, but i decided that since i don't really watch video on my phone (the better and slightly larger screen is the only difference) i would be better off spending the premium on 128 gigs of storage instead of the regular 32.  this is insurance against the inevitable death of my now pretty old ipod.

~homer simpson

#1493 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

That's good news about the transfer and very bad news about the lack of professionalism of the Verizon staff.  You'd think that since their monthly charges are so high they'd provide better service, especially since other networks have largely caught up in their coverage.  Arrogance.

BTW, could you share that tip sheet? 

#1494 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,732 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

basically this. the steps weren't all the same for me (i don't think it gave me a wifi hotspot notification) but it was very quick and easy.

~homer simpson

#1495 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,732 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

oh right, there's only a wifi hotspot created for the connection if it's an iphone/android transfer. for android/android it's bluetooth pairing.

~homer simpson

#1496 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks.

Deb's phone is getting pretty old and one of these day's we're going to have to do a data transfer.