48 replies to this topic

#1 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

I listen to This American Life at the gym. I need music for cardio, but This American Life makes the weight training and stretching go by fast.

I've also been watching the Callie Lewis GeekBrief. I can't decide if I find her cute or annoying. But it's short and usually over before I make a decision.

what are you listening to/watching?

#2 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

OK, I can have this conversation by myself. Here's what kikujiru was podcasting in 2005. I watched a coupld of episodes and 'idiosyncratic' is a good word - it's a little weird for me on a regular basis:

As cited but not actually shown by Steve Jobs in the iPod launch, an idiosyncratic video podcast with a cocktail recipe every episode. If you're running iTunes just click here.

#3 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

and SethG was also doing a lot of podcasting in 2005, but I wasn't hip enough to have an ipod and join his podcast conversation. Here's what he was listening to:

So I guess no one is interested in the whole podcast thing, but I'm going to give it one more try here. You see, I keep telling people that they have it wrong, that despite appearances, Mouthfuls isn't populated solely by aging luddites with no interest in anything fresh and exciting.... rolleyes.gif

So I've been downloading podcasts, looking mostly for music. Here's what I've checked out:

Rock and Roll Geek Show. This is a half hour show hosted by Michael Butler, who is also in a band called American Heartbreak. The show has songs, occasional interviews with music figures, and a bit too much talking. Still, the sound is professional, and the show I've heard featured some not at all bad, completely obscure stuff from David Johansen and Joan Jett. This one episode was a bit on the headbanger side of things, but I think Butler's interests range all over the musical map.

DailySonic. During the week this is a sort of alternative NPR. They put out three podcasts a week, each featuring a news segment up top and several other features, including one on music. Recent musical features included Brazilian Tropicalia and Crunk. I've waded through a few full-length episodes of DailySonic and I don't think I'll bother again, at least for a while. The production quality is low-- the on-air personalities sound as though they're speaking to you over the telephone from a foreign country. And the content is pretty sophomoric, IHMO. Every weekend, however, they put together a mix of music hosted by a different person each time. The last couple of these weren't bad. I may keep checking these out.

Post Modern Rock Show. This is an indie rock radio show hosted by a guy named Dave Cusik. It is broadcast out of Portland, I think on Saturdays. He plays a mix of new indie releases along with older alternative/punk stuff. Pretty good.

WFMU. There are several shows I like from FMU-- my favorites are "Downtown Soulville with Mr. Fine Wine" (a classic obscure soul program) and "Do or DIY," which from the one show I've heard features a lot of random stuff including a lot of homemade mashups.

Anyone else got anything?

#4 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

Funny to read that post. I got tired of looking for podcasts soon after that and I haven't downloaded any since! But when you started this thread I thought that maybe someone would post something that would make me want to try podcasts again.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#5 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

They've been around for a while, but the Ricky Gervais podcasts are brilliant. His old shows from XFM are pretty funny too. You can stream them here (I downloaded them but don't remember from where):

http://www.xfm.co.uk...cle.asp?id=3673

I frequently download The Randi Rhodes Show podcasts when I miss the broadcast.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#6 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

They've been around for a while, but the Ricky Gervais podcasts are brilliant. His old shows from XFM are pretty funny too. You can stream them here (I downloaded them but don't remember from where):

http://www.xfm.co.uk...cle.asp?id=3673

I frequently download The Randi Rhodes Show podcasts when I miss the broadcast.

Oh good - thanks for that link. Someone on this site had linked to Gervais' podcasts at the Gaurdian but they had been removed from the site by the time I went looking for them.

#7 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,547 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Doesn't one have to "make" the podcast to be podcasting?
You guys are just watching them.

The Wood Whisperer.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#8 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

I watched a couple of podcasts of "Shalom in the Home - video podcast by Rabbi. Shmuley" that were like little pop-psych podcasts. Funny. I didn't remember his name so I just google 'rabbi' and 'podcast' and got 469,000 hits! In the first page alone there was "Temple Talk with R. Chaim Richman," "The Rabbi report: Tribeca 07," "Lechaim to Life w/Rabbi E." God there's a lot of this podcast stuff - we just need somebody else to filter out all the crap.

#9 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Doesn't one have to "make" the podcast to be podcasting?
You guys are just watching them.

The Wood Whisperer.

you might be right, but I use it as a short hand for "what are you searching for, finding, downloading and listening to and/or watching on your ipod." The title doesn't allow that many characters.

#10 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

I haven't d/l'd them yet, but I have every intention of doing past episodes of RadioLab soon - I'll be converting them to mp3s and burning them to CDs or saving to a memory stick to listen while I walk or wait in airports since I don't have an iPod or similar device
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#11 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Just subscribed to a bunch from KEXP, KCRW, WFMU and WFUV. Any other good music podcasts out there? What else are you listening to?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

One of my favorites:

http://www.julianfle...om/Podcast.html
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#13 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

KCMP's Musicheads features new music and can be good..I actually like regular contributors Danny Sigelman and Mark Wheat more than the host.

WNYC's Radio Lab podcasts are often worth a listen.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#14 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me of MPR's music. I have a few Time Keepers CDs from them and they're pretty good. You like the Current, right?

ETA: All Songs Considered Looks good too.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

All Songs Considered is great - I've been listening to that one for a long time.

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid