1385 replies to this topic

#46 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:58 PM

2 more suggestions for Orik(or anyone else coming to Montreal). In the past year or two, several local Montreal chocolatiers have opened up shop & producing pretty decent stuff with in many cases unusual flavors. Earlier this year, the Hour restaurant critic wrote about 2 of them(both around the Plateau Mont-Royal). Here's the link to the article http://www.hour.ca/f...?iIDArticle=224. Also if you want to try Canadian Prime grade beef, Queue de Cheval steakhouse is currently serving it. When there was a US beef ban in Canada earlier this year, Queue de Cheval switched from US Prime to Canada Prime beef(they're still using the Canadian product). Until the US beef ban, Canada Prime beef was unavailable in Montreal(almost all of the most marbled Canadian beef goes to Japan).

Steve

#47 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:49 AM

Ok, how about a few recommendations on jazz clubs for apres dinner? Thanks!

#48 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

bump

#49 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

Ok, how about a few recommendations on jazz clubs for apres dinner?  Thanks!

The only Jazz club in Montreal, that I can think of is Upstairs(located in downtown Montreal). There's no jazz scene in Montreal, except when the Montreal International Jazz Festival is in full swing. To make jazz, a more year-round thng in Montreal, the Montreal Jazz Festival have only recently started promoting jazz concerts in Montreal, outside of the Montreal Jazz Festival time.

#50 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:50 PM

I heard that Boudrain fellow was in town recently. Did anyone get to touch the hem of his robe?

#51 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:58 PM

Ok, how about a few recommendations on jazz clubs for apres dinner?  Thanks!

The only Jazz club in Montreal, that I can think of is Upstairs(located in downtown Montreal). There's no jazz scene in Montreal, except when the Montreal International Jazz Festival is in full swing. To make jazz, a more year-round thng in Montreal, the Montreal Jazz Festival have only recently started promoting jazz concerts in Montreal, outside of the Montreal Jazz Festival time.

Don't know where I got the idea that Montreal was a town with jazz clubs, but I had it.

#52 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

Oh no, it's logical. The Montreal Jazz Festival is among the top 1-2 Jazz festivals in the world. Montreal is a jazz town, only when the festival is on. There's another jazz club, called I think 'House of Jazz', which for many years was called Biddles(named for the late-Charlie Biddle).

Steve

#53 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:39 AM

Toque! is the only restaurant I have dined at in Montreal. It was somewhat disappointing, just like almost every restaurant I go to in North America.  I doubt I would want to visit again, unless someone were to advise it has improved significantly.

Bourdain said pretty much the same thing about Toque! This from the Montreal Gazette piece of this past Saturday, written by restaurant critic/food writer Lesley Chesterman quoting Bourdain.

Steve

(from Montreal Gazette Sat Nov 6/2004)

As for Toque!, he said, "The food's good looking and creative, but there are a lot of menus like that on the scene right now and a lot of chefs like that in the States and northern Europe. I was underwhelmed."

#54 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

Beachfan, I understand you're coming to Montreal later this month. One of your dining choices is Les Chevres. You should know, there's a major change to Les Chevres coming on Wednesday. That's when Les Chevres, will be split into two. Half of the restaurant space(the room with the bar), will now be a secondary restaurant called Le Chou. Le Chou will have a separate menu, featuring a more casual bistro/tapas like fare, divided into 2 sections:salty & sweet. Offered alongside will be wines by the glass, half bottles and less expensive bottles. The prices at this new secondary restaurant will be more reasonable, than Les Chevres. Despite its critical acclaim locally, nationally and world-wide, Les Chevres wasn't attracting the locals(their prices was too high to attract many of these people).

Steve

#55 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:10 AM

Thanks!

I assume most Montreal restaurants are either licensed and don't allow BYO or are BYO only.

True? Or more enlightened?

#56 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:14 AM

Yes. Any other questions on Montreal? Restaurant & non-restaurant issues.

Steve

#57 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:28 AM

FYI, Les Chevres has a mushroom tasting menu(8 courses for $74(Can)), being served from Monday Nov 22 to Sat Dec 4.

Steve

#58 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:01 AM

I had a fabulous meal at les Chevres tonight, will post more later on. It was great meeting our own Patrice (although he only has one post, he reads it regularly, I hope to lure him out a little).

Thanks to Steve and Orik for pointing the way!

#59 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:33 AM

Ahem. It was I who mentioned Les Chevres on this thread first. Ahem.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#60 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:07 PM

Which is why I went!!! I don't take just anyone's recommendation you know!
Unfortunately, I lost my copy of the menu, which means I can't recite specifics.

I will say that I didn't leave hungry!! The amuse bouche soup was outtanding, as was the poricini flan (no problem with texture). Deserts were superb, as was the fish.

The only problem with the meals (veggie oriented for my wife and fish and fois gras for me) was the trimming of the fois gras could have been better, they left one of those sinews in. Still very nice dish Nonetheless, this was excellent dining at good prices.

PS Mention Mouthfulls, and you'll get the deluxe treatment!!