1385 replies to this topic

#61 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:39 AM

If anyone cares, last Wednesday during the opening of Hotel Godin(another new upscale Boutique hotel in Montreal), it was apparently announced(I didn't atttend), that chef Kerry Simon will open a new upscale steakhouse by next spring at the hotel. Kerry was apparently there. Anyone with opinions on Kerry as a chef. He has previous experience working in hotel restaurants, & had a stint as executive chef at the Prime Steakhouse in Las Vegas. Not sure his most recent restaurant stint(also in Las Vegas) was a steakhouse. Earlier on Hotel Godin was negotiating with Alain Ducasse for a possible restaurant there.

Steve

#62 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

anything new and noteworthy? we'll be there in April and currently plan on APDC+Les Chevres+Brunoise
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#63 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:51 AM

Well Les Chevres, is now 2 restaurants in one. One side now, has become Le Chou, a more casual version of Les Chevres. The prices are lower, & portions are a little smaller. A restaurant that might of been out of your radar, & is still fairly new(15 months old), is Bronte, located in downtown Montreal. Bronte might just be the best Montreal restaurant right now.

Top Montreal chef Claude Pelletier, has recently opened Le Club Chasse de Peche Restaurant Bar Salon in Old Montreal.

Steve

#64 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:51 AM

Thanks, Steve. Brontë sounds nice, maybe a bit Italianish at first glance, but then you read that they serve:

My appetizer was a limoncello-cured salmon, sea-salt wafer, salmon tartare with a Delicious apple and celery salad, crème fraiche and a micro amount of tobiko, accompanied by a palate-cleansing shooter of limoncello, apple jelly and green tea ($13) (here)

which sounds like it can be good or horrific.

#65 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

Headed to Montreal in 3 weeks, for Easter weekend.
Will dining out on Sunday be difficult, or will most things be open?

We are a group of 8 & 1 4-year-old. Arriving on Friday morning (after breakfast, but before lunch), staying at Auberge du Vieux-Port. I'd like to walk most of the Underground self-guided tour & grab food along the way. Dinners are more formal & I'm considering Les Chevres & Cocagne.

Does Juliette et Chocolat serve breakfast & lunch? I'd love some good buckwheat crepes for breakfast.

Does Chez L'Epicier serve lunch? It sounds like the perfect destination for a midday meal.

Finally, of the 3 reviewed chocolate shops I found, which is the best & why? I'm looking at Les Chocolats de Chloe, Chocolats Genevieve Grandbois, and Au Festin de Babette.

Merci!
Food, glorious food!

#66 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

If you don't particularly like shopping malls, you might want to skip the underground city. Much better things to see, eat and drink outside.

#67 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:40 PM

I would normally steer clear, but I'm with a family group & they don't tolerate the cold very well. If I can break free, I'll walk aboveground.
Food, glorious food!

#68 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:47 AM

To answer questions posed today. StephY, if you're dining on Sunday, it's best to call the restaurant, to make sure they're open. There're significant number of restaurants in Montreal, that close either Sunday or Monday(there're even some that close Sunday & Monday).

The establishment Juliette et Chocolat doesn't sound familiar. If you want buckwheat crepes, you can find them at Un Crepe on St-Viateur West(near the original St-Viateur Bagel), Creperie Le Triskell(3470 St-Denis) & Creperie Brettone Ty-Breiz. I've tried buckwheat crepes at Un Crepe before. Ty-Breiz has been around for decades, & is a popular place.

Yes, Chez L'Epicier is open for lunch(it's a pretty casual establishment). Their lunch hours are 11:30am - 2:00pm.

Chloe & Genevieve Grandbois are the two you should consider, as they make their own hand-crafted hiqh quality chocolates. Au Festin de Babette don't make their chocalates(they have relocated to a new location around 15 months ago). Between the two local chocolatiers, I prefer Genevieve Grandbois, but some people prefer Chloe. Genevieve Grandbois features very very unusual flavors, while Chloe has more traditional flavors. Genevieve Grandbois's website is at http://www.chocolatsgg.com/. Genevieve Grandbois has its headquarters/main location on St-Viateur West(very near-by, Un Crepe(for the buckwheat crepes) & St-Viateur Bagel).

Steve

#69 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:36 AM

Dinners are more formal & I'm considering Les Chevres & Cocagne.

According to what one person posted at another food discussion site, Cocagne is going to close soon, if business doesn't pick up greatly.

Steve

#70 SWISS_CHEF

SWISS_CHEF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:03 PM

There are something like 3 billion restaurants in Montreal....come on kids let's get it started!

For me the absolute tops is the Christmas buffet at the Beaver Club.....where do you eat in Montreal?

EDIT: OOPS! I just found the Montreal thread....merge me please! :)

La cucina è il mio tempio, Il forno è il mio altare, la gastronomia é la mia religione

The Beromünster Wine Club

The Circle of Fire

Chez Edorovio

#71 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:48 PM

There are something like 3 billion restaurants in Montreal....

Sounds like a conservative estimate to me :)

Since we visit friends when in Montreal, we don't eat out there much, which is a shame given the virtually limitless choice available. Hubby was appalled (but secretly pleased) when Rachel Ray revealed La Cabane on The Main on her $40 a day show...

BTW StephY how did you family meal go awhile back?

Flyfish
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#72 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

What's the best part of town to stay in?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#73 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

I really like PMR, several nice B&Bs there. Old Montreal is also nice, but very very touristy. Downtown is more like the midwest. Maybe there are other nice areas? Steve?

#74 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

Not where we stayed - which is the Old Port area. I liked the hotel, but it was not convenient. Also quite touristy, as Orik said.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#75 Guest_ailailail_*

Guest_ailailail_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

I really like PMR, several nice B&Bs there. ...

That's where we like to stay as well. Our usual B&B is on Sherbrooke east of St Denis. Amongst other amenities they have a nicely stocked wine cupboard as well as beer and other drinks in the fridge (honour system) - a service we've appreciated on more than occasion.