1394 replies to this topic

#76 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:00 AM

We've been to Montreal a number of times the past few years. Each time, we stayed in a different hotel. Last summer, it was the Hotel Le Germain. Great location on a side street in the center of town. Very comfortable, stylish rooms. Excellent amenities.

#77 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:01 AM

The prominent Montreal hotels(including the boutique hotels) are located in Old Montreal or Downtown. The B&Bs are mainly around The Plateau area(as Orik mentioned). For some reason, there has been a boutique hotel boom in Montreal the past few years(I don't know how they can all survive).

Other areas of Montreal you might want to check out? Rarely mentioned in tourist publications is the West Island area(that's where most of my friends now live, & it's the area where the English population has move to in great numbers). Also people might want to check out, the city of Laval(a little north of Montreal). Laval has grown leaps & bounds in the past decade(now I think, the second largest city in province of Quebec). Many restaurants have opened in Laval, including quite a few upscale ones.

#78 Gary Soup

Gary Soup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:25 AM

I like the Quartier Latin, there are some lodging bargains there. My demands are pretty minimal -- bed, TV and a clean bathroom -- since I don't spend a lot of time hanging out indoors in MTL. On my last trip, which coincided with the Jazz Festival, I couldn't find a room anywhere on my own, but then Hotwire put me in the Holiday Inn next to Chinatown for $85/nite.

#79 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:14 AM

Good suggestion Gary. Quartier Latin is location for some B&B & hotels. It's just below former location of Toque! restaurant. Yes you can find lodging bargains there.

#80 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:14 AM

Just found out about it over the weekend. If anyone is interested the latest issue of Ed Behr's Art of Eating has a cover story on Montreal dining/food scene. Haven't seen it, but I'll get a copy soon(I was a long-time subscriber to Art of Eating but dropped it a year ago, as my mags were piling up).

#81 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:21 PM

Just found out about it over the weekend. If anyone is interested the latest issue of Ed Behr's Art of Eating has a cover story on Montreal dining/food scene. Haven't seen it, but I'll get a copy soon(I was a long-time subscriber to Art of Eating but dropped it a year ago, as my mags were piling up).

Thanks for the tip Steve, very timely for me. :lol:

By the way, while our last meal at APDC was still quite good, reviews on eG seem so overwhelmingly negative that I'm tempted to skip it this time around. Based on the relatively little information available online, it looks like Les Chevres, Brunoise, maybe Bronte? anything else?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#82 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

I wasn't impressed with my last meal at APDC either(food & service). Off-hand, you can add Area, Le Club Chasse & Peche to your list of possible Montreal restaurants to check out.

#83 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

We had very good Pho with raw beef, stewed brisket, tripe and tendon at Pho Lien. The stock was near-perfect and enhanced by thinly sliced fennel and scallions. Shredded pork summer roll was also quite tasty.

Dinner at Le Club Chasse & Peche, despite some hilarious upselling, was very enjoyable:

Started off with oysters - three served warm with bacon and bone marrow, three cold with tobiko, yuzu and cream. In both cases the smallish oysters were overwhelmed by their toppings.

Then an extraordinarily good dish of sweetbreads served in a thin, cheese flavored crust and accompanied by celery root gratin and well executed, but not terribly exciting foie with apple puree, apple juliennes and apple sorbet.

For main courses - crispy kurobuta belly with lobster, celery root puree :rolleyes: and a duo of very flavorful pork tenderloin (served medium rare, as predicted on the food trends 2006 thread) and stewed pork.

The cheese plate included just two cheeses - Fourme d'Ambert, which was what it was, and a very good ripe goat cheese (didn't catch the name).

As for upselling, the restaurant should try and be slightly less obvious in how it times the dishes and wine pairing suggestions and how it selects who should be told the prices of specials (young couple who may be on a date - no prices mentioned, older couple who are likely to have developed a fear of high-priced specials - prices provided for every item). Another aspect of this is that they represent that they "encourage sharing" to explain why a vegetable side is price separately, although none of the dishes seem to be designed for sharing.

#84 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:57 AM

Pho Lien is my favourite Vietnamese eatery for Pho in Montreal. Glad you liked it. The CDN-area is littered with tons of Asian eateries(in particular Vietnamese).

Steve

#85 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

Yes, there are many of them around (including several locations of Pho Bang - same one as in nyc), but Lien was significantly better than others we've tried before. Also, walking on Jean Talon blvd (or ave, whatever it is) from the market, you pass Pakistani, Southern Indian, Sri Lankan, Greek, Vietnamese, Syrian and various African groceries and restaurants.

Had another lovely meal at Les Chevres. Other than their eggless flan, which just doesn't have good enough texture, every bit of food served on their tasting menu was very good, particulalry a dish of foie in home made peanut butter and truffle sauce.

The nice folks running the place were very excited to tell us that Dan Barber ate there recently.

#86 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Of the meals this time around, I think only Brunoise fell short of expectations. The food was fine, particulalry at the price point (about $45 canadian for a 3 course meal) and I'd love to have a place like this instead of one of the sucky bistros in the neighborhood, but nowhere near as good as Le Club or Les Chevres. Rabbit leg was particularly weak, much more chicken-like than average.

#87 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:51 AM

Yes, there are many of them around (including several locations of Pho Bang - same one as in nyc), but Lien was significantly better than others we've tried before. Also, walking on Jean Talon blvd (or ave, whatever it is) from the market, you pass Pakistani, Southern Indian, Sri Lankan, Greek, Vietnamese, Syrian and various African groceries and restaurants.

Had another lovely meal at Les Chevres. Other than their eggless flan, which just doesn't have good enough texture, every bit of food served on their tasting menu was very good, particulalry a dish of foie in home made peanut butter and truffle sauce.

The nice folks running the place were very excited to tell us that Dan Barber ate there recently.

Jean-Talon is just a big long street. I didn't know the Pho Bang restaurant extended beyond Montreal.

#88 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:07 AM

BTW Orik, Caprices des Nicholas has changed. This year, new chef, new simplified menu. It was just reviewed by a Montreal restaurant critic, & it was panned pretty hard.

You're staying at B&B in the Plateau area again. Three establishments you might want to check out if you're still in Montreal. A brand-new coffee shop called Cafe Art Java(837 Mont-Royal East). A ice cream place called Meu Meu(4458 St-Denis), just below Mont-Royal Ave. serving custard-based ice creams, using all-natural organic ingredients. Going a little west to Parc Avenue, you might want to check out a new bakery called Cocoa Locale at 4807 Parc(corner Villeneuve). It was just discussed on eG Montreal, & I posted my comments on them after I went there Sunday(Oct 2).

#89 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

You're staying at B&B in the Plateau area again. Three establishments you might want to check out if you're still in Montreal. A brand-new coffee shop called Cafe Art Java(837 Mont-Royal East). A ice cream place called Meu Meu(4458 St-Denis), just below Mont-Royal Ave. serving custard-based ice creams, using all-natural organic ingredients. Going a little west to Parc Avenue, you might want to check out a new bakery called Cocoa Locale at 4807 Parc(corner Villeneuve). It was just discussed on eG Montreal, & I posted my comments on them after I went there Sunday(Oct 2).

Not in Montreal anymore, but we actually did check out Cafe Art Java - very good espresso (roasted by Gimme Coffee - apparently they also supply a couple of places in New York) and nice, if a bit too fussy sandwiches.

#90 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

I was just in Montreal and posted a report and pictures here:

Montreal
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag