1381 replies to this topic

#1336 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

God I need to go back there.  I am like physically jonesing.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1337 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

Don't forget about Joe Beef's new place.

Probably couldn't have gotten one anyway, but...

reservations aren’t accepted — and with just 35 seats, it’s likely to fill up rapidly.

#1338 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Sooooo....was able to get myself a reservation at Joe Beef, pulling one string very gently.

Still have those other two dinners to worry about - is the Italian-ish place Nora Gray, which I think ori posted about, a nice choice?

#1339 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Haven't been to Nora gray(though probably going tomorrow) in a few months but was still good last I went. They also opened a pizza place in Saint Henri called Elena. Pizza alot like ops but with a larger menu.

Haven't really had the chance to try any of the new openings, though I have heard good things about Pastel. Parasol might be decent though it is a popup and might not be open. Provisions and radicelle from some pretty decent cooks though I haven't had the chance to go either. Lawrence revamped and pared down their menu, but I have always enjoyed their food, for dinner or brunch. Heard good things about Alma up in mile end, but again, haven't been.

#1340 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:08 PM

Was going to ask about Pastel. Looks really compelling. Will likely go in the fall.

Been a while since my last Nora Gray visit, but was excellent last time. May be a bit duplication with JB though (though less so than Liverpool). 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#1341 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

Did you follow the fisticuffs with Lesley C. around Mon Lapin and the pizza place? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#1342 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

Vaguely. I meant to ask Ryan about it, but never got around to it. Chesterman has given great reviews to Vin Pap and Nora Gray, so I'm not sure what happened in the interim. All I know is that pretty much everyone would like to see a new gazette critic.

#1343 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Vaguely. I meant to ask Ryan about it, but never got around to it. Chesterman has given great reviews to Vin Pap and Nora Gray, so I'm not sure what happened in the interim. All I know is that pretty much everyone would like to see a new gazette critic.

What was the dust up?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#1344 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

Chesterman didn't review both Mon Lapin and Elena. The gazette sent Haldane to both(I think), the same critic that reviewed Robuchon when Chesterman refused to. I think the Mon Lapin insta made a post about it and LC responded but when I checked I think the response was deleted. That's all I know.

#1345 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

@Patrick - any updates on Nora Gray and/or Pastel?

#1346 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

McMillan gave a shout out to Bistro Otto

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#1347 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

Nora Gray was still good, consistent with past meals. Still haven't been to pastel.

#1348 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

Nora Gray: our meal had a few issues.  I felt the seasoning was inconsistent, in that our apps needed salt, and our mains probably could've used a little less salt.

Lobster salad app, in a buttermilk dressing, with haricot verts. The haricot verts in this salad were raw, and I'm not a fan of raw green beans. I mean, especially in an "Italian" restaurant, where I'd expect them to be cooked - a lot. Lobster was nice, and there was a good deal of it.

Fluke Crudo - ok, nothing to complain about here.

We had 2 of the 3 pastas for mid courses, and these were easily the best dishes of the night.  Great pasta, perfectly cooked.  Especially loved the fusilli with braised whelks - so good.

Things got a little weird for our secondi, as the dish I ordered, the baby back ribs, became the grilled pork chop, sometime between my ordering the dish and it appearing on the bar.  Now - what to do?  Immediately noticed by the lovely bartender (who possibly punched in the order incorrectly), I could've waited for the baby backs while Significant Eater was enjoying her lovely cioppino.  Instead, I ate the perfectly fine for what it was pork chop.  But it was aggravating.

Desserts were comped and fine, I still tipped my 20+%, and we stumbled out into the night. 

#1349 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

We ended up eschewing Pastel in favor of Le Meac. While I dont know if it was better than Pastel, it was certainly fun and classic. Good service, steak frites done nicely, delicious smoked herring and potatoes, okay duck confit, nice wine list. We ate too much.

On our way to the airport, we popped into Comptoir 21 for the fish and chips. While the fish was great, the chips needed work. But any fries, after those fries at Joe Beef, will pale in comparison I think.

As a matter of fact, eating at Joe Beef first, means everything else is gonna come up short. Or at least everyrhing else we ate. And everywhere else we ate at.

#1350 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Not to mention that you're already full enough to last a week.

Bar Loser

MF Old