51 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

okay, so holy land seems like a decent place for goat (will check them out this weekend). and central avenue is lined with indian stores (or at least there's more than one). where do we go for korean supplies? is there a large semi-dedicated store that sells korean veg and ingredients? or even a large pan-asian store?

surdyk's for booze? also for cheese?

where do we go for good fish? (discovered last evening that the grocery in our town does not sell fish that is not frozen and inside a package--though there is apparently a larger grocery store 2 miles down the road.)

what's the shopping like at the midtown market?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Shops at Midtown are small. Produce is pretty much non-existent. I typically only shop there as an aside while eating at Sirena Gorda.

Best fish shop I've found is Coastal Seafoods on Snelling in Saint Paul. And that's not just because it is close to me. I'm willing to travel for decent fish.

Surdyk's has the best selection but can be irritating. Their prices are all over the map and I never find them all that helpful. Their cheese shop is OK. Good enough that if you are there you need not go anywhere else. Premier Cheese (50th and France) is better with a much better staff. France 44 wine shop is nearby but tends to have prices slightly higher than Surdyk's because, after all, it's Edina.

If you make it up here early enough and need fresh food, you want to go to the Saint Paul Farmers' Market. Good meat and eggs along with spectacular vegetables.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#3 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

Oops. For Korean foods, you want to head to the markets up near the corner of Snelling and University in Saint Paul. There's Kim's, 88, and Star markets in a fairly tight cluster (all are pan-Asian).

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

thanks!

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Just to be clear, was you question about Midtown shopping about Mexican food shopping? Or general ethnic grocery shopping?

If you want Mexican groceries, El Burrito in Saint Paul is a good one and reasonably easy to get to if you are doing other shopping.

Lots of places on Lake Street in Minneapolis but most are quite a bit smaller than El Burrito. Hell of a nice walk down the street though because you can dash into taco shops between the bodegas.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

A couple of places that used to be good (not sure if still around/still good) - http://www.unitednoodles.com/index.cfm for asian products and produce. (there used to be a Coastal Seafoods nearby)

Bill's imported foods for beans, bulgur, feta and various greek/mediterranean/middle eastern foods
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

A couple of places that used to be good (not sure if still around/still good) - http://www.unitednoodles.com/index.cfm for asian products and produce. (there used to be a Coastal Seafoods nearby)

Bill's imported foods for beans, bulgur, feta and various greek/mediterranean/middle eastern foods

Bill's is still good and cheap for the stuff you mention. Lot's of cross-over with Holy-Land's flagship store in NE but Bill's is bigger and has more selection.

Have not tried United Noodles. I'm not even sure where it is in the market. I'll have to look.

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Just to be clear, was you question about Midtown shopping about Mexican food shopping? Or general ethnic grocery shopping?

If you want Mexican groceries, El Burrito in Saint Paul is a good one and reasonably easy to get to if you are doing other shopping.

Lots of places on Lake Street in Minneapolis but most are quite a bit smaller than El Burrito. Hell of a nice walk down the street though because you can dash into taco shops between the bodegas.

more general. holy land apparently has a second branch in the market--i assumed this means that more meat/produce is sold there.

~homer simpson

#9 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

more general. holy land apparently has a second branch in the market--i assumed this means that more meat/produce is sold there.

The store in the market is small and I don't think they have a meat case. I could be wrong. Probably best to call.

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

Also, probably too obvious to mention, but Byerly's is a good supermarket chain with some surprisingly good meat and with attached wine shops that can provide low end stuff for day to day consumption.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#11 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Further up Central Avenue in Hilltop is Dong Yang.

735 45th Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55421

It's kinda hard to find. It is set far back in a row of stores. It's on your left as you go North on Central Avenue. It shares a building with a hardware store. In the back of this store there is a Korean restaurant. The food is good here, but bring a translator if you don't know how to order in Korean.

Further up again, past 694 is another Korean Grocer.

Seoul Foods
1071 E. Moore Lake Drive
Fridley, MN

Next to Seoul Foods is King's restaurant. Korean buffet for lunch. Food is OK if you like braised beef ribs. ;) Closed one odd day of the week, I don't know which. I've been burned before. Karaoke and dancing at night.
Member #1232

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:50 PM

i travel with a korean translator. thanks for all these. please tell me, for the sake of my sanity, that none of these places carry korean soap operas on vhs or dvd.

~homer simpson

#13 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

i travel with a korean translator. thanks for all these. please tell me, for the sake of my sanity, that none of these places carry korean soap operas on vhs or dvd.

As a matter of fact, that's the first thing you see behind the counter! <_< Good luck!
Member #1232

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

back from my local farmers' market. very tiny on saturday--apparently, friday is the big day. very cheap heirlooms: 50c apiece. however, no one had my favorite black russian varieties and so stopped at a co-op and bought a few of those at exorbitant prices. potatoes, cherry tomatoes and basil were all very cheap as well.

if we can head out early enough tomorrow, we're going to try to stop in at the big minneapolis market on lyndale as well. i see it is open daily from 6-1. is there a day that is better/worse than others?

~homer simpson

#15 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

back from my local farmers' market. very tiny on saturday--apparently, friday is the big day. very cheap heirlooms: 50c apiece. however, no one had my favorite black russian varieties and so stopped at a co-op and bought a few of those at exorbitant prices. potatoes, cherry tomatoes and basil were all very cheap as well.

if we can head out early enough tomorrow, we're going to try to stop in at the big minneapolis market on lyndale as well. i see it is open daily from 6-1. is there a day that is better/worse than others?

I've never been to the large Minneapolis market on Lyndale. Been to the Mill City organic one on a Thursday and it was tiny (I've heard Saturday's are better) and the one in downtown Saint Paul.

I saw a very few of the black Russians (at least that's what they looked like) at the Saint Paul market this morning. I'm not sure whether they will come later in the season or if there aren't any growers.

Did get some Berkshire pork bratwurst. And tiny little pickling cukes with dill to put up kosher dills tomorrow. Also a couple of melons (all the melons looked excellent) and a pint of the last of this season's blueberries and a quart of sour cherries.