51 replies to this topic

#31 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

By the way, before you make your drives every other weekend, be sure to check the status of 35W if you are using that to get into Minneapolis. Reconstruction of the cross-town interchange and bridge work is causing sections of it to be closed on weekends.

What are you some kind of psychic?

<_< ;) ;) :( :( :( :(

I just checked. Lovetree farms is there on Saturdays only. I feel better now.
Member #1232

#32 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

I was up at the Hmong marketplace in Saint Paul this weekend for a Chowhound gig that included a tour of the market and then lunch. Hosts/tourguides were a couple of Hmong immigrants who the organizer knew.

The place is a bit surreal. It is on the site of an old lumber yard. Gravel parking lot was packed and they had attendants helping to organize the parking. The ramshackle buildings were full of little stalls with trinkets, DVDs, electronics, herbal remedies, embroidered clothes, etc. Outside there was a farmers market with incredibly cheap produces of all kinds with a focus on "Asian produce" like Chinese broccoli, bitter melon, greens of all kinds, and peppers. Lots of haggling and none of it in English.

The food court had six or seven restaurant stalls.

I think the best thing I ate there was bitter melon greens with pork belly. I guess it is a Hmong version of greens with ham hock. Smokey, salty slices of pork belly matched perfectly with the slightly bitter greens.

The good stuff included: beautiful pork rib; smoked pork sausage; beef tendon soup; chicken meatballs; tiny, fried quail; sesame balls stuffed with yellow bean; a couple of papaya salads; bitter melon stuffed with ground chicken in broth; sticky rices; and fried bananas. There were 15 people or so and we all chipped in $5 or a little more and ate like kings.

The only thing that I didn't care for was the fried shrimp.

Afterwards we had green tea from the tea shop. (Apparently it heals all things from obesity to cancer.) The woman who runs the shop gets tea directly from a plantation in Laos. It was excellent and I bought some (the cups of tea are free, but people tip).

The place is at 217 Como Ave, between Marion and Galtier on the north side of the street.

Apparently things are mostly closed up by 6pm so best to shop/eat there at lunch.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#33 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:22 PM

thanks for the tip, slbunge--we'll have to check that out at some point.

next question: what are minnesota's blue laws like? liquor not sold in groceries? not on sunday?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

You got the two big ones.

I believe a grocery store can sell beer and wine but it has to have a separate entrance and cash registers. So, if you go to Trader Joe's you will see that they essentially have a liquor store next door. Irritating.

Sunday the only way to get alcohol is to go to a bar. Some bars that have package sales licenses can sell six packs to go. Most don't bother with the license.

I'm sure these rules makes a significant dent in incidents of alcohol abuse and drunk driving. Don't you think?

#35 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

I'm sure these rules makes a significant dent in incidents of alcohol abuse and drunk driving. Don't you think?

No drinking before church!!! Since church can be anytime Sunday, no drinking on Sunday!
Member #1232

#36 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

I've moved 3 times since, but the "wine with dinner" lobby is very good at forwarding their quarterly bulletin.

Didn't Buon Giorno in St Paul have some way around these restrictions? I seem to remember being able to purchase wine there during church hours.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#37 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hmm...I didn't know that. Buon Giorno has moved out to Lilydale since you've lived here. Might be worth a call for emergencies.

Edit: Buon Giorno has an incredibly useless website here.

And mongo, I've heard rumor of a new-ish Indian grocer at 494 and Portland which might be more convenient for you than Patel's in NorthEast. I'll be swinging by that general vicinity sometime this week and will report back. Actually, Kabobs, the Hyderabadi place, is just across the street so maybe I'll go over there at lunch time and gets some Chicken 65.

#38 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

At Mill City this morning, I got some Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. Not cheap.

I'm intrigued by the vendor selling Yak meat. I didn't buy this week but I may not be able to resist the temptation this fall as the weather cools and I feel like cooking inside again.

#39 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

there was yak meat at one of the retail counters in the midtown market as well. i too was intrigued but the price made me quickly lose interest.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#40 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

is it just cub foods or do all groceries in minnesota expect you to bag your own purchases?

~homer simpson

#41 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 11 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
is it just cub foods or do all groceries in minnesota expect you to bag your own purchases?

Lunds and Byerly's bags for you. Shuang Hur bags for you.

Cummon man, you can bag your own. smile.gif

Can't you?
Member #1232

#42 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:38 AM

well, i can. but i'd rather they pay someone to do it. especially since nothing seems cheaper as a result.

~homer simpson

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jul 29 2007, 04:37 PM) View Post
then back down to united noodles, which was not as large as i'd expected "the largest asian grocery in the midwest" to be. it's also quite well hidden. they did have an acceptable, if not very large, fish section (i bought some head-on shrimp and some pomfret), but their meats too were more expensive than we were used to in either l.a or denver. a nice selection of east asian greens though, and i did see that they had most everything i need for my experiments with sichuan cooking--though i could not find sichuan peppercorns (can someone confirm if they or some other store in the area carries these?).

spent a little more time in united noodles today and realized that they seem to separate the staples aisles by country. they do carry sichuan peppercorns--you just have to find the right spice aisle.

bought some samosas and gulab jamuns from patel bros.. these were consumed with tea on our return home--barely acceptable (the samosas were a lot better 3 weeks ago--must have lucked into a fresher batch then).

bought some more goat from the place next to patel bros.. the proprietor informed me that since they sell goat mostly frozen they can't guarantee proper cuts through the cutting machine. since the meat itself was very good maybe i'll just ask them to make 3 horizontal cut pieces for me next time and cut it up myself at home after it thaws. on the other hand, i did establish a hyderabad connection with him at time of sale (turns out he's from there, and i lived there for 4 years), and his demeanour improved markedly, so who knows what may become possible next time.

also checked out holy land. great prices on grapeseed oil, and a large selection of olive oils. unfortunately, we were in a rush and i couldn't explore fully. they too sell goat frozen and fresh, and the price of the fresh, which i'm guessing is the one cut to order, is significantly higher than that of the frozen.

~homer simpson

#44 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 18 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post
bought some more goat from the place next to patel bros.. the proprietor informed me that since they sell goat mostly frozen they can't guarantee proper cuts through the cutting machine. since the meat itself was very good maybe i'll just ask them to make 3 horizontal cut pieces for me next time and cut it up myself at home after it thaws. on the other hand, i did establish a hyderabad connection with him at time of sale (turns out he's from there, and i lived there for 4 years), and his demeanour improved markedly, so who knows what may become possible next time.

also checked out holy land. great prices on grapeseed oil, and a large selection of olive oils. unfortunately, we were in a rush and i couldn't explore fully. they too sell goat frozen and fresh, and the price of the fresh, which i'm guessing is the one cut to order, is significantly higher than that of the frozen.

So you figured out a way to get into the NE neighborhood?

Are you dry today? I've heard about lots of flooding in Southern MN.

#45 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

we had monsoon level rain yesterday--driving into the city was hairy, and we passed lots of accidents in the city. we just took hennepin across the river to central. the bigger hassle was the closure of the 94--we had to navigate surface streets to get to united noodles. we really need to get a detailed map (we're using the rand mcnally 50 state atlas).

hasn't rained yet today, but is nice and cool. august in minnesota has so far been much nicer than advertised. how usual/unusual is this kind of rain?

oh, also stopped at surdyk's. nice store, but jesus, their wine section is difficult to navigate (perhaps i just need to get used to their display system). i was a little disappointed though that boulder has a larger wine/liquor store than the largest one in the midwest. and my confusion about variations in wine and liquor prices at different parts of the country continues. many wines and malts were more expensive in boulder than here, and vice versa. they had a decent selection of colorado small brewery beers, though nothing from avery. i ended up with a six-pack of bell's kalamazoo stout. have not yet tried it.

~homer simpson