#46 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 19 2007, 11:33 AM) View Post
oh, also stopped at surdyk's. nice store, but jesus, their wine section is difficult to navigate (perhaps i just need to get used to their display system). i was a little disappointed though that boulder has a larger wine/liquor store than the largest one in the midwest. and my confusion about variations in wine and liquor prices at different parts of the country continues. many wines and malts were more expensive in boulder than here, and vice versa. they had a decent selection of colorado small brewery beers, though nothing from avery. i ended up with a six-pack of bell's kalamazoo stout. have not yet tried it.

Do you have a branch of Friar Tuck's where you are? It seems to be a midwestern liquor wine & beer store chain. Huge. Someone on Yelp described it rather brilliantly as a graduate student verision of a candy store (with small liquor bottles near the register where the 5 cent pepperments would normally be.)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#47 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 19 2007, 11:33 AM) View Post
hasn't rained yet today, but is nice and cool. august in minnesota has so far been much nicer than advertised. how usual/unusual is this kind of rain?

oh, also stopped at surdyk's. nice store, but jesus, their wine section is difficult to navigate (perhaps i just need to get used to their display system). i was a little disappointed though that boulder has a larger wine/liquor store than the largest one in the midwest. and my confusion about variations in wine and liquor prices at different parts of the country continues. many wines and malts were more expensive in boulder than here, and vice versa. they had a decent selection of colorado small brewery beers, though nothing from avery. i ended up with a six-pack of bell's kalamazoo stout. have not yet tried it.

There is often a patch (day or two) of cool weather in August, often with rain. But this sort of super-soaking rain seems bit unusual. Often, it is more like what was around last weekend: big thunderstorms that pop up in the late afternoon/evening with lots of lightning.

I hate Surdyk's organization. Particularly within each aisle. I always feel like I spend more time "selecting" in there than I do in other shops. It is worth getting on their mailing list because their specials are quite good. And they have a semi-annual sale with 20% off all wines in the store which is a good time to stock up.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#48 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:41 PM

we stopped at the shuang hur (sp.) market opposite quang on hennepin today. they have a better fish selection than united noodles, and also seem to carry all the sichuan ingredients i need. however, they don't carry as many asian greens as united noodles does. what to do? what to do? this place is very close to the midtown market and so would make our food runs to the cities more streamlined.

oh, and booze related: the frightening chicago lake boozery right opposite the midtown market has amazing prices on single malts. i bought a bottle of the balvenie doublewood for $32, but they had insane prices on everything. the laphroaig 15 for $37, the lagavulin 16 for $47, the oban 14 for $35, and highland park 12 for $29. the lowest regular prices i've ever seen for these malts in the u.s, and in most cases lower than sale prices elsewhere. the only reason i didn't buy armloads of everything is that it seemed like these were their normal prices. i hope i will not rue this decision.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#49 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Heads up that Surdyk's fall sale is 3 Oct through 20 Oct.

Most wine is at least 20% off.

Their catalog also shows a some spirits and a several Belgian beers are on sale.

Good for you finding deals at Chicago-Lake. I think I've only been in there once and don't remember much about it. Based on its customer base, I imagine it might be a little frayed at the edges.

#50 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

more high value seafood purchases at the seafood counter in the midtown market today. bought two pounds of the large head-on shrimp at $5.99/lb, wild salmon fillets at $6/lb, and let the lady at the register talk me into a flounder, also at $6/lb--she sent me away with instructions on how to prepare her favorite steamed flounder recipe (dinner tonight).

also purchased some more longaniza/chorizo from bymore meats, a couple of bottles of local honey and a packet of chicken necks from the place next to la sirena gorda, and produce from the produce exchange in the middle of the market. everything they had looked better than the offerings at our local cub--crazy deal on raspberries right now (99c/packet). also whipped round to shuang hur on lake and bought some pea tips and gai lan (one of the two will be stir-fried with garlic and served with the flounder tonight).

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#51 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

For purchases such as St. Germain, Carpano Antica, Punt e Mes, Everclear. . .which has the lowest prices, Surdyk's, Big Top, or France 44?

And do any of those places actually sell Everclear? Does anywhere in the MSP area sell Everclear?

#52 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Last night's dinner included grilled duck breast from Au Bon Canard.  The breasts come two per shrink wrapped package and each breast is about 1 lb so they are fairly large.  They are from the birds used for foie gras production.

The duck meat is beautiful.  Really lovely red color of the flesh and the skin was easy to score with a sharp knife.  I cooked them to about medium rare, perhaps a little beyond that.  The flavor and texture of the meat was excellent.

I chose Clancey's in Linden Hills to buy the duck.  The breasts were about $20 per lb.  The had legs in the case as well but I don't have any idea how much they cost.  Their deliveries are Fridays and they tend to run out of breast meat fairly quickly.