50 replies to this topic

#1 rlm

rlm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

Bad bridge collapse in downtown MN. Anyone heard from Mr. Jones?
“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

“When someone drives up to the farm in a BMW and asks me why our eggs cost more…well, first I try not to get mad…I take him outside and point at his car. ‘Sir, you clearly understand quality and are willing to pay for it. Well, food is no different: You get what you pay for.’”—Farmer Joel Salatin quoted in Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”

"It's so sensual, isn't it? And you don't need any nerdy stuff to really appreciate great Burgundy. It just washes over you."--Jancis Robinson on Grape Radio, 11/07

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:31 AM

all well. slbunge? kuan?

we were on the 35 late afternoon today but not where this happened. i think we might have gone over it on sunday though.

jesus, i hope the body count isn't going to be too bad--though the pictures don't look good.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

Glad to hear the Jones are well, and best wishes for everyone out there.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#4 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:05 AM

Mongo, I am glad to hear your okay. My friends who live downtown have reported in and are okay, they can see it from their condo. So far eyewitness channel 5 has the best pictures. Faux Neus Foex is doing a decent job. Shepard is gone now so god only knows what illegal immigrant causes for the collapse Sean will find now. Fox is probably going to get interesting. Instead of real news, we will be given the Sean Terrorist Illegal interpretation of what has happened.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

I can't even get anyone on their cell phone <_<
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

That looks horrific.

40 years of age isn't that old for a bridge is it? Maybe the construction that was big done is to blame.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:27 AM

cnn was on while i was cooking. wolf blitzer was driving me crazy in his attempt to make this an event as many people should be scared by as possible: "everyone, not just in the u.s. but in the world drives over bridges and this could happen to anyone". and interviewing people who happen to live within view of the bridge as though they're experts on structural integrity of bridges.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:44 AM

I have heard that, for unrelated reasons, cell phone coverage is out over much of the area.

Glad the Joneses are intact. What awful news.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

I have heard that, for unrelated reasons, cell phone coverage is out over much of the area.

Glad the Joneses are intact. What awful news.

Yes. It's mostly back now, but many people have discovered that what they thought was a land line was actually going over the same infrastructure as their cell phone. (but it's not nyc so I doubt they'll make a big deal of it)

Of two of our guys back there who drive across the bridge one checked in safe, the other is on vacation. I know mongo can levitate so I wasn't worried about him.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#10 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

Wow. Some pretty intense photos from the StarTribune.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#11 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

That route isn't on my evening commute.

All of this has made me rather aware of the number of times I go over the river on bridges each week. At least twice a day I cross the Mississippi. Some days when I'm off to one of my client's sites I zip over the Mississippi another couple of times and the Minnesota river twice as well.

I'm not nervous, it just made me think about how little I think about it.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#12 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

cnn was on while i was cooking. wolf blitzer was driving me crazy in his attempt to make this an event as many people should be scared by as possible: "everyone, not just in the u.s. but in the world drives over bridges and this could happen to anyone". and interviewing people who happen to live within view of the bridge as though they're experts on structural integrity of bridges.

Thankfully I didn't have access to CNN.

I did catch the local news coverage around 7pm. That was exactly 1 hour after the incident and rescue efforts were ongoing. The talking heads in the newsroom had an official from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MN DOT...the acronym we will likely hear a lot of in the coming days) and they were asking inane questions that were all being rebuffed with the answer "It is really too early to tell". Finally he excused himself and got back to work.

I can't even get anyone on their cell phone

I heard about this being a problem for many. My family lives out of state and so calls started rolling in to my mobile phone when evening news programs began airing. By then phone service seemed back to normal.

40 years of age isn't that old for a bridge is it?

I believe bridges are designed for a minimum of a 50 year life and typically, when maintained properly, go much longer. So, yes, this does seem to be a relatively young bridge for a catastrophic, structural failure.

The engineer in me wants to see if there is video of the failure as it unfolded. (There may be one because there is a traffic camera right there.) My guess is that as the force of the failure propagated through the structure it would have looked relatively plastic. The "seams" where the bridge approaches connect to the roadway failed in a clean break in some cases which is fairly incredible when you see the amount of steel that was sheared.

Kudos to the rescue workers who responded quickly and got boats into the water. Grim task ahead for many of those experts I'm afraid.

Tragic day (or days) for many families.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#13 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Here. *phew*
Member #1232

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

I'm very glad everyone is OK. That's not something to be taken for granted.

Another bridge across the Ohio river collapsed in 1967 under similar circumstances. It was only 39 years old when it fell, also at rush hour, and 46 people died. It would be remarkable if the death toll in the latest collapse didn't rise as the river is searched.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#15 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

What a nightmare. I'm glad to hear you guys are okay.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot