2529 replies to this topic

#2521 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

industrial arts brewing tools of the trade #85 india pale ale - 7.3% abv, crowler. this is another one from the peekskill/ithaca guy's new brewery and is very much like what he made at his previous stops. it's a clean, well made beer with an interesting set of hop notes and a malt presence that's more like eastern standard or a maine beer than last night's beer. I can't find anything about what's in this on the web, but while it's not really juicy my guess is mosiac and something else. the malt notes are well done, it's not citrusy or bitter, blah blah blah. this is pretty good, if not quite at the level of the mbc stuff or even the best peekskill stuff.

#2522 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

kent falls bewilderment imperial brett ipa - 8% abv. I'm not sure how old this is but this is all brettanomyces at this point. that's not always a bad thing, and while this doesn't have the depth of flavor (or non brett flavors) that the best brett stuff does it's pleasant in a funky way, if probably the worst kent falls beer I've had.

#2523 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

half acre double daisy cutter double pale ale - 8% abv. this is a lot closer to orange than it's smaller version, which can be a sign of too much malt sweetness, but unsurprisingly this is exactly the kind of well made balanced beer you expect from half acre. it's got a slightly sweet version of the classic mixture of pine/resin/c hops that like the rest of their beer very nice without being first rate.

#2524 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

Boulevard Scotch on Scotch,   Nice.  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2525 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:25 AM

evil twin lost souls india pale ale - 7% abv, brewed at dorchester brewing in massachusetts. I had pretty high hopes for this given the two excellent ipas evil twin released earlier in the year, and while this isn't the intense hazy juice bomb I was hoping for it's pretty good and a big improvement over the hoppy beer evil twin makes at two roads. it's got simcoe and galaxy, and there's a nice mixture of tangerine, orange, peach, guava, the right amount of sweetness, and an odd wheat note.

#2526 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

Baladin Isaac, 5%, bottled, no date

Citrus-y, malty, nicely integrated spices, sweet-ish... seems horribly overpriced

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#2527 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

omnipollo/evil twin old fashioned lemonade ipa india pale ale with lemon added - 7% abv, brewed at dorchester brewing in massachusetts. I'd be surprised if lemon is the only additive here, it's got a terrifically creamy mouthful that I associate with lactose. whether or not that's right it's easy to believe that lemon was used, it really tastes like overly sweet lemonade with a hint of grain in the finish. this is an odd thing to turn beer into I guess, but it's delicious and like the omnipollo peanut butter stout this is one of the best uses of additives I've had in a while.

#2528 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

industrial arts brewing tools of the trade extra pale ale - 4.8% abv. this is the only beer that industrial arts is going to make year round and is supposed to be widely available at some point. I'll be pretty happy if that turns out to be true, this is a really well made beer that has a lot of flavor for it's low abv. it's just the standard mixture of malt and lemon with just a hint of mango/tropical fruit in the background, but it's a really clean version of those basic elements that's surprisingly hard to find. it's kind of like cheeseburgers, the basic ingredients are well established and you don't have to use exotic ingredients to get great results but for whatever reason you have to go out of your way to find really good examples. this is a great example of simple, hoppy american style beer blah blah blah. recommended.

#2529 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 AM

interborough x pipeworks mad fat unicorn india pale ale - brewed at interborough, 8% abv. this one is made with citra, mosiac, and centennial as well as pipework's house yeast. this is an odd one, it starts out like a total juice bomb with lots of peach marmalade before giving way to some sticky resin, pine, and melon. so what's odd about that? it's a little too sweet and a little bit hot, there's some not great grainy stuff in the finish, and I think the centennial seems a little out of place too blah blah blah. stupid quibbles aside this is pretty nice beer and I'll be thrilled if it's the worst thing I have this week.

#2530 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted Today, 04:56 AM

stillwater cellar door a dry hopped farmhouse wheat ale with sage - brewed at two roads, 6.6% abv. this is another rerelease of one of the original stillwater beers in cans from two roads. dry hopped wasn't in the original description, and this is a lot hoppier than the way I remember it. the sage really comes through clearly at first, and stays with the hops before giving way to some wheat on the finish. this is pretty additive heavy, but the slightly medicinal sage notes are a great match with the amarillo and this is terrific for the price.