2708 replies to this topic

#2701 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:10 AM

burial gang of blades double ipa - 8.3% abv. I was really eager to try this one, both because it's the first double ipa I've had from this excellent brewery and because it's one of the few dipas made with wild yeast. the can says it's made with wild yeast that "produces robust tropical esters" and I've often wondered whether problems canning beers made with wild yeast prevent brewers from doing this or if people make dipa with wild yeast without saying so. either way this is a well made beer that has a lot of bright tropical fruit flavors (tangerine, passion fruit) that are a lot more bitter than usual.

#2702 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

I had a pretty decent super bitter beer from CrossRoads the other day. They are this brewery about 20 minutes outside of Hudson NY. That beer makes me want to try more of their beers

Has anyone been to the new brewery and pizza place? Has anyone tried their beers. itz called something with a C maybe
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2703 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

This afternoon for Pint Night we had an Oktoberfest from Bitter Sisters out of Addison, TX,  Hissy Fit was the name.  A very easy drinking marzan lager.  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2704 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

melvin 2x4 dipa - 9.9% abv. the melvin ipa I had last week was one of the better old school ipas I've had in a long time (my wife said something about green flash when it was really good) but unfortunately this reminds me of older beer in a different way. these cans are older, which doesn't help, but the tropical fruit notes that we all live for only showed up after you get past a ton of bitternesss and unpleasant malt notes. once you're drunk the combination of pine, resin and tropical fruit is very pleasant, at this point I like this more than any of the stone beers that made me fall in love with the style, but it's hard to recommend a beer that's only good once it's got you drunk, but at this point this tastes like a less juicy all green everything. sadly recommended to myself.

#2705 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

grimm artisan ales after image double dry hopped imperial pale ale - brewed at beltway brewing, 8% abv. this is the lupulin powder version of the original grimm canned dipa, and apparently the can version was lagered for three weeks at a cold temperature to make it less hazy. that seems to work pretty well, this is terrific and definitely my favorite ddh grimm yet. the main flavor is a really delicious mix of tangerine and melon, with a ton of peach and other slightly sweet fruit under it. it's a little too bitter to be soft the way their dipas are, but it's very nuanced and it's definitely not buzzy or abrasive the way that some lupulin powder beers can be, and it's just sweet enough that the fruit had a tinge of creamsicle to it, and so on and on. strongly recommended.

melvin hubert mpa - 6% abv. this is a pretty good example of an apa with a classic west coast malt presence. it's a little hoppier than some of the classic examples (e.g. alesmith xpa) but the well done caramel malt notes give it an older feel. there's also a nice set of american c hop flavors, but really this just has the right amount of flavor for 6%.

#2706 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

grimm supergoing dry-hopped goes ale brewed with orange zest and conditioned on oak - brewed at beltway brewing, 4.8% abv. they've released this one a few times, and if memory serves this is a little less tart than previous batches were. I shouldn't pretend to know what comes from the orange and what comes from the hops, but whatever the source of the citrus flavor here it's really well done and gives way to some wheat (actual beer flavor!) as well as a hint of oak as well as some creaminess that I don't remember in previous batches etc etc etc. recommended.

#2707 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

threes brewing constant disappointment india pale ale - 7.2% abv. this is one of the older beers from threes, and I always thought it was an unfortunate name given the quality of their initial offerings. I also thought that their beer had gotten a lot better since they opened the larger brewery, but this isn't great and certainly isn't as good as some of the beer I've had their. this is slightly hazy but is darker than your typical new ipa. it's juicy enough, with a mixture of tangerine, honeydew, and maybe papaya, but it's a little bit too bitter and the pine and resin clashes with the fruit. there's also some unpleasant malt in the finish. this isn't terrible, but there's a lot of better stuff out there.

#2708 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:45 PM

grimm pineapple pop! dry-hopped dessert style berliner weisse style ale brewed with pineapple, vanilla, and milk sugar - brewed at beltway brewing, 4.8% abv. this is yet another really pleasant beverage from grimm. the pineapple is really well integrated with the hops, there's a surprisingly layered set of fruit and hop flavors (somepine and citrus) with a mildly tart yeast flavor underneath. the vanilla shows up at the end along with some wheat and oak, but I don't think it's that sweet and this is an extremly quaffable drink. recommended to those that don't want too much beer in their beer.

#2709 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:32 AM

industrial arts brewing week 52 brett ipa - 7.4% abv. this was brewed to celebrate the first year of this garnerville, ny brewery run by the guy who used to run peekskill and ithaca. it was single hopped with "high oil" centennial from segal ranch in washington, which is the first hop farm that I've seen named so prominently. (first at peekskill, then at other half and here.) this is a little lighter than bell's two hearted, which is probably the best known single hop centennial ipa, and is slightly opaque without being hazy. I really like this, the brett is clean works perfectly with the hops. the flavor profile is classic centennial, slightly spicy pine and grapefruit that take on some marmalade character as you get the sweeter malt notes in the finish, and there's some of the all important mango/melon notes in the finish too. there's a bunch of brett in the finish that's soapy (for the lack of a better word) in a very pleasant way. I really like this, and I think three of their recent releases (this, wrench, and state of the art #152) are gettting steadily better and have a balance or professionalism to them that a lot of the local options really lack. this is also the first industrial arts beer with weird yeast or additives that's really worked for me. as is obvious I really like the combination of brett and c hops here blah blah blah. strongly recommended.