2819 replies to this topic

#2806 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

fifty fifty brewing eclipse imperial stout brewed with honey aged in oak barrels salted caramel (white wax) 2017 - 11% abv. this is one of the many varieties of their yearly release of barrel aged imperial stouts. I had a bottle from their 2015 release that had been aged in evan williams barrels that's definitely one of the two or three best barrel aged stouts I've had, so I was happy to pick this up without knowing exactly which version I was buying. (all of the variants use the same bottle and you have to go to their website to figure out what the particular color wax used to seal the bottle means.) I guess I should be happy I didn't get the meade one, but this would probably be my second to last choice. blah blah. this is an excellent beer, even if the insane complexity of the other one I tried isn't quite there. this is a great use of barrel aging, the main flavors are vanilla, caramel, and coconut in a way that suggests bourbon without simply tasting like a simple version of whatever was originally in the barrel. there's still a lot going on, it hides the booze well, yadda, yadda, yadda. recommended.

#2807 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

prairie artisan ales bourbon paradise bourbon barrel aged imperial stout aged with coconut and vanilla - brewed at krebbs, 15.9% abv. an abv this high almost always means a lot of compromise - and while this does have the two usual problems (apparent alcohol, sweetness) it's very drinkable and there's the kind of big flavors you expect with super high abv stouts. coconut is probably the dominant flavor, and like last night's beer the additives are well integrated with the bourbon. there's not much complexity here, it's basically just three rich flavors (coconut, vanilla, bourbon) and some booze, but this is surprisingly easy to drink and it makes me wish I'd done a better job of keeping up with prairie's stouts. recommended to myself.

#2808 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:55 AM

grimm icing on the cake imperial milk stout brewed with cacao and vanilla - brewed at beltway brewing, 10% abv. the grimm website says this is tastes like a flourless chocolate cake with icing, which is mostly true. there's a really smooth set of milk chocolate malt notes that have some raspberry and maybe molasses notes. this is a grimm beer, so it's well put together and balanced if not as nuanced as their better offerings.

#2809 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:43 AM

grimm double negative imperial stout (september 2017) -brewed at beltway brewing, 10% abv. drinking this toward the end of this set of stouts (2 silly ones and a weird one to go!) really makes this seem like an adult beverage. there's a really mild set of molasses and chocolate with some really nice roasted notes in the finish, and it's really remarkable how small this is compared to some of the barre aged stuff. recommended.

#2810 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

grimm galaxy pop! dessert berliner weisse style ale brewed with galaxy hops, vanilla, and milk sugar - brewed at beltway brewing, 4.8% abv. I really like that the fruit in this installment of their fruited desser berliner weisse series is galaxy hops, and while this isn't and juicy and tropical as their single hop frou-frou was the hops (papaya, lemongrass) work really well with the vanilla and lactose and there's just the right amount of tartness in the finish. I don't really need the oaky tannins in the finish, but this is really very pleasant and I think of the stuff that's distributed here only suarez can make low abv beer with this much character. recommended.

#2811 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

anchorage patterns double india pale - 8.4% abv. the brett beers from anchorage that are always among my favorite beers are made with an extremely involved brewing process that involves fermentations with multiple kinds of yeast, aging in oak, wild yeast, etc etc and I was kind of sad to see that they had begun cranking out ne style ipas just like everyone else, even though I assumed they would be terrific. I missed the one that made it out here through the usual distribution channels and joined a silly website when I saw it would allow me to buy them through the mail, and here we are. (this is probably the only thing I would buy through the mail not made by treehouse.) and so on.... so this is a double ipa made with galaxy, motueka, and cryo simcoe and is just as good as I thought it would be, if not anywhere as distinctive as their other beer is. it's not quite as soft as the grimm stuff, slightly buzzy, has a mixture of orange, apricot, peach, and maybe passion fruit, with a little bit of creaminess in the background. these beers are all pretty similar, and I'm sure there's some veblen action here, but I think this is better than almost all of the grimm stuff and maybe one or two things from other half. strongly recommended.

#2812 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:04 AM

Had some Telekinesis tonight, thought that it was very good if not mind blowing. The best things I ever had from Grimm were the Lambo Door cans you traded me several years ago, the Cube Cuvée beers, and Magnetic Compass. And a special release double negative aged in...calvados casks I think??
Immortal space traveler.

#2813 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,767 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

Telekinesis just hits my sweet spot.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2814 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I think ddh tesseract is probably my favorite one so far, along with zap! and the original afterimage cans.

odd13 brewing intergalactic juice hunter 2.0 double india pale ale - 8% abv. odd13 is a lafayette colorado brewery that doesn't distribute here, I bought these to help get the shipping cost of the anchorage cans down. as the name suggests this has galaxy, along with lactose and some unspecified hops. this is reasonably juicy, with the usual mix of orange, mango, and papaya but there's not that much detail here. the lactose is well used, the hops are sweet and creamy in a way that makes them rich without too much direct lactose flavor, and while I think I prefer the way the west coast ipas use malt to the same effect. this is solid if uninteresting.

#2815 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

sierra nevada hop bullet double ipa - 8% abv. this is a sierra nevada beer that arrived fresh in nyc (an increasingly rare occurrence) and is a nationwide release made with lupulin powder! the label doesn't actually say what kind lupulin powder was used, but it does say it gets a heavy dose of magnum, both as a buttering hop and a dry hop. sierra's pale ale and torpedo, stone's ipa and ruination 2.0 (their year round dipa) and many classic west coast spas use magnum as a bittering hop, but you never see it listed by the newer brewers. the other hops (chinook, centennial, cascade, and crystal) are also pretty old school, and this definitely smells like one of their beers. it's a lot lighter in color than say torpedo, but tastes pretty much like a more bitter version of the rest of their stuff. the classic sierra malt profile is definitely there, along with some bitter pine and resin. this has almost no fruit notes in it, but it is a lot more balanced and easier to drink than some of the old school stuff. recommended to people looking to get drunk in the aughts.

#2816 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:09 AM

interboro mad fat fluid india pale ale - % abv. this the fourth version of this beer that I've had, the other three (mad fat unicorn, money, and method) were collaborations made at interboro with yeast from the other brewer (pipeworks, barrier, mumford) and I think this is definitely the least successful. I wish I could say why, looking at the hop bills of each of the beers does make this the least attractive one. Tyyyit may simply be that that this is one of their older recipes (the label says mosiac, equinox, and centennial not mosiac, eukanot, and centennial LOL) but there's not as much complexity here and it's bitter in an unappealing way. instagram tells me this is the double dry hopped version that used mosiac lupulin powder in the finish but it's not at all buzy and I think centennial is the dominant flavor. this is surprisingly underwhelming without being bad.

#2817 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

to ol #YOLOmaelk imperial salty milk stout brewed with caviar and champagne-yeast - brewed at de proef, 14% abv. I really enjoyed the barrel aged version of the base beer that I had last month and was happy to see that there was an even more absurd version that used additives that I'd never seen in a beer. I'd be pretty hard pressed to pick out caviar here, but it opens with some big salty notes that are immediately joined by the huge milk chocolate notes you get in the base beer. all the salt makes the chocolate taste like caramel this time around, and there's some odd stuff in the finish that this probably sounds disgusting, and while I'm sure caviar won't be the next big trend (although westbrook's anniversary stout is salted this year) I think it works well and is surprisingly easy to drink. the abv is apparent in the finish, but it's well integrated with the salt and there's some champagne in the finish. I guess this is just a long winded way of saying I still love de proef, and so on. recommended to extremists.

eta: this is definitely a little bit briny as it gets closer to room temperature.

#2818 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

grimm lambo door double india pale ale - brewed at beltway brewing, 8% abv. this is one of the older grimm dipa recipes, and while it got cryo hops the way that recent batches of tesseract and afterimage have they chose not to use the ddh label for the new batch, even if it does taste like cryo hops. this was always one of the juiciest grimm dipas, and this retains the "gummi bear juice" quality the original version but isn't as sweet, and I think this is probably another beer that's actually better because of cryo hops. there's a great mixture of peach, mango, and maybe papaya that's not as soft as the usual grimm stuff. the only problem with this is the availability, which may get fixed when they open their own brewery at some point. my highest recommendation.

#2819 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

decadent ales multiflora double india pale ale - brewed at dorchester brewing in boston, 9.6% abv. decadent ales is a westchester county brewer that's a newish part of 12% llc's portfolio of brands. I've posted about growlers of two of their beers, and I don't know if those were made in westchester or at the 12% llc beer project in connecticut, which is I guess where their previous cans were made. these were made in boston at the place that makes the only good canned evil twin ipas. these cans aren't as good as I remember the draft version being, there's a ton of the berry and mango notes you sometimes get in mosiac, which is the featured hop here, along with some orange etc, and it's sweet in a way that makes it richer, but it's still sweet and was slightly hot at first. I'd probably like this a lot more if I hadn't had the beer above with dinner, it's really juicy, is much more drinkable than a 9.6% abv beer should be, blah blah blah. recommended.

#2820 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

grimm passion fruit pop! dessert berlinerweisse-style ale brewed with passion fruit, vanilla, and milk sugar - brewed at beltway brewing, 4.8% abv. the is the nth version of grimm's fruited sours with lactose, and while I kind of wish they'd focus their efforts elsewhere this is just as pleasant as the rest of the beers in this series. passion fruit is an obvious choice for this series, the lactose and vanilla aren't that present but it's not as tart as real passion fruit is, and there's more oak in the finish than usual. if you've had one of the beers in this series you probably know exactly how this is.