3364 replies to this topic

#3226 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:36 AM

When you read that a stout made to taste like s’mores is comparatively “demure” and “sophisticated” you kinda begin to wonder.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3227 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:56 AM

root + branch big white cloud imperial stout conditioned on organic raw cacao nibs and ugandan vanilla beans - brewed at great south bay on long island, 9.5% abv. I feel like everthing I said about last nights beer is actually true of this one - it’s got an incredible depth of flavor and the two or three basic flavors (cocoa, honey, vanilla) are supported by a ton of secondary flavors (molasses, oats, roasted malt, coffee, beer, etc) and while I guess you could say the basic chocolate/vanilla combination is pretty easy this is the best adjunct stout I’ve had in a long time. their insta says that they attempted to put beer flavors first, and I don’t think they succeeded at that, but this is definitely the best stout I’ve had this winter blah blah blah.

#3228 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

evil twin imperial doughnut maple syrup bourbon barrel aged imperial porter aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels with doughnuts, almonds, coffee, vanilla added - produced at westbrook in north carolina, 13% abv. I guess I’m really into adjunct stouts right now, because if the beer above this was the best adjunct stout I’d had in years this isn’t that much worse and is probably the best adjunct stout I’ve had where the very idea of the beer really limits how good it can be. I think this starts out as lil’b, evil twin’s 11.5% imperial porter, and was aged for more than a year in bourbon barrels that were used to make bourbon barrel aged maple syrup by a company called bliss. that’s not enough though, and at some point the imperial biscotti break adjuncts were added along with doughnuts. I’ve had a couple of evil twin beers aged in bliss barrels, which are probably my favorite gimmick (unless double dry hopping counts) going at this point, and they’ve mostly been worth the high price. I think the concept here probably makes the word sophisticated totally inappropriate, but this is well put together, nothing overpowers anything else, and this is mostly adjuncts at first (coffee, almond, vanilla, sugar) and then there’s a nice mixture of bourbon, spice, and maple in the finish. this isn’t that sweet given how rich it is, hides the abv pretty well, and probably tastes like an overly sweet mess to reasonable people. recommended to idiots like myself.

#3229 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:29 AM

to ol #YOLOmaelk imperial salty milk stout brewed with caviar and champagne yeast - brewed at de proef, 14% abv. this is another very pleasant adjunct stout that manages to use caviar to hide apparent alcohol the way that beers like prairie’s bomb! and westbrook’s mexican cake try to use chilies. caviar is a bit of a stretch actually, but this is briny in a really odd way that really compliments the well done milk chocolate malt notes and is well integrated with the apparent alcohol and the slight hint of champagne in the finish. I think that it’s pretty hard to see why this needs to exist, but this is another one that really works for me, and it’s a lot more interesting than the last three stouts I’ve had, which feature predictably enjoyable combinations blah blah blah. recommended.

#3230 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:38 AM

evil twin brewing a collaboration with prairie artisan ales double barrel bible belt imperial stout aged in coffee, vanilla, chili peppers and cacao nibs aged on bourbon barrels - brewed at westbrook in south carolina, 14% abv. this is a new double barrel aged version of a combination of evil twin’s even more jesus and prairie’s bomb! that was originally made by prairie. the initial release was made by prairie and featured even more jesus with bomb’s adjuncts, and they released a single barrel barrel aged version a few years ago. the non barrel aged bible belt is one of the many evil twin beers that’s been rereleased in cans over the last year or so, which I didn’t find that tempting, but I find the barrel aged westbrook stuff hard to pass up and this is another over the top beer that I’m not sophisticated enough to dislike. this is remarkably smooth, there’s a mild but layered set of adjuncts (vanilla, milk chocolate, mild coffee, some sweetness) and roasted malt that give way to some bourbon, chili, and booze, along with some port like red wine flavors. the latter aren’t totally unexpected, double barrel usually means marsala and bourbon barrel aged in evil twin parlance, and while I can’t confirm that’s what happened here on the web it certainly tastes that way. this is well put together and easy to drink, the heat from the chilies builds in your mouth and makes you want more like a spicy curry can, only this is 14% abv. recommended to morons like myself.

#3231 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:33 AM

westbrook 8th anniversary pecan cookie stout imperial stout with pecans, winter spices, and vanilla - 9% abv. this is, at long last, an adjunct heavy stout that I don’t love. this is as described, it’s rich enough despite the relatively low abv, the pecan flavor is well done, but I’m relieved to say that I don’t find this that compelling.

#3232 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

From Une Année, a Belgian brewery in Illinois,

Le Seul XIII: American Wild Ale fermented with guava, 6.5%. Super cloudy pink, looks like guava juice. Super tart with a lot of fresh guava upfront. Pink lemonade, apple cider vinegar. Recommended.

Le Seul XVIII: American Blueberry and Passion Fruit Wild Ale, 6.5%. Lavender color, translucent. Way more acidic than the guava product, bracing. The berry flavor is blasted out by generic sour stuff, the passion fruit is weak, too. Not recommended.

Immortal space traveler.

#3233 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:36 AM

other half daydream layers citra + galaxy + nelson imperial oat cream india pale ale - 8.5% abv. as far as I can tell this one follows other half’s naming conventions - the dream layers beers all feature three hops, vermont yeast, and a “hint” of lactose. beer advocate seems to think these are among their worst beers right now, which might be right, and while I’ll be okay this is pretty bad by their standards. it’s got big tropical fruit flavors that are a lot more bitter than usual, and while there is some creamy lactose in the finish it’s unexpected and nothing really work with anything else. I’m sure the other half ipas I’ll have for the next few days will be much better.

#3234 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:06 AM

other half triple mosaic dream imperial india pale ale - 10.5% abv. this is the new triple version of other half’s all mosaic non lactose dipa, which actually conforms to their naming conventions by using dream for an all mosaic beer without the lactose that dream usually connotes. (the inevitable lactose version will be triple mosaic daydream.) I didn’t like the cans of the 8.5% abv version I posted about a while ago, but I’ve had it on tap a few times since then and loved it. this has the same great combination of berry and tropical stuff and doesn’t really seem like a higher abv version as much as a slightly less well made version, with a little bit more sweetness and booze. what is here is really nice, and bright berry/mosaic has some odd mint like stuff in the background. I don’t know that I’d recommend this over the double version, but it tastes pretty good.

#3235 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

stillwater password double india pale ale double dry-hopped with mosiac and galaxy - brewed at great south bay on long island, 8% abv. this is another one in stillwater’s plain silver can series (retail, please take a number, loaf) that have all been pretty enjoyable so far. this isn’t as intense as the other half stuff, or as layered as the grimm beers, and the former isn’t a criticism. there’s a nice set of mango, lychee, and papaya flavors that are a little bit bitter and more distinctive than I’m making them sound. recommended.

#3236 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

dugges stillwater artisanal speyside cacao whiskey barrel aged chocolate stout brewed with cacao, coconut, and vanilla - brewed at dugges outside gothenberg, 14% abv. this is another reasonably enjoyable silly beer - the barrel flavors are well done and pretty forward, and there’s some nice milk chocolate and vanilla in the finish, which are pretty well integrated with the whiskey and the huge hit of apparent alcohol you get in the finish. the whiskey notes are almost good enough to redeem this, but it’s hot enough that I wonder if you’re not better off drinking whiskey.

#3237 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

18th street brewery here comes the reaper india pale ale - 18th street brewery is a hammond, indiana brewery that just started sending beer to new york. they were started by one of the original pipeworks people, are a part of the collab/beer festival circuit, etc etc. I had high hopes for this, the beer they made at other half was supposed to be great, but this is a straight up the middle old style ipa that combines chinook and mosiac, which sounds like a nice mix of old and new, but this is an uninteresting example of an older style of ipa. I haven’t had enough beer from the midwest for the term “midwest” ipa to make much sense to me apart from a description of the bells and founders stuff but this is clean and balanced the way they are, and so on and on.

#3238 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:28 AM

other half we’ve been out there in orbit imperial stout with cinnamon, cacao nibs and vanilla - 13% abv. why would someone who doesn’t really like other half stouts buy this, especially if they didn’t like a previous version of the beer? I had just returned some growlers, which put me under the credit card minimum and didn’t want to show up to pick up my kids with booze on their breath. this is a new, post j wakefield/angry chair collaboration stout, and while there’s actually enough bitterness and roast stuff that it tastes a little bit like beer, and the cinnamon hides the booze well enough I continue to find the oh pastry stouts the least enjoyable examples of their kind of beer.

#3239 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

other half double dry hopped oh... forever imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. this is the first batch of other half’s oh.. forever, which is the imperial version of their oh... blah blah. this one doesn’t have lactose, but it does have citra, galaxy, and motueka, like most of the similarly named beers. they release some version of this pretty regularly, but this is the first one of this series that I’ve had for whatever reason. this is, to borrow a phrase from sneak, the echt oh beer - there’s some bright pineapple up front, and then the usual other half bitter tropical stuff (melon, passion fruit, orange sherbet) that’s pretty juicy for oh. this is well above their average.

#3240 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

evil twin brewing new york city by the end of the day double dry hopped triple india pale ale - brewed at evil twin nyc in ridgewood, 10% abv. these cans are from the first can release from evil twin’s first brewery, which is right on top of the halsey L train stop. I don’t know if they need a brewery here (and it’s increasingly hard to believe that the market isn’t saturated, but they’re probably thinking beyond the small parts of brooklyn and manhattan I frequent) but I’m legitimately excited that they’ve hired one of the root + branch people to make the beer. this is bigger than any of the root + branch ipas I’ve had, but it’s very much in the very well made north east style ipa vein that I was expecting. this is mostly wa-iti with some galaxy, and it has the weird lychee/rambutan fruit stuff you get with antipodean hops without citrus. it’s getting harder and harder for these beers to stand out against each other in my mind, but this is a solid start.